Sacrifice 2015

Redux

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, even 3-9 wouldn't get him fired. Perhaps some assistants would be on the line, but not Riley. Nor should he be. He's dealing with a very volatile roster that has a lot of bad habits that has been poorly developed and doesn't fit what he wants to do. Perhaps some assistants would be on thru line, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

If anything, I'd find the silver lining in 3-9. It'd separate the men from the boys. Those who want to stay and work for their spot and this program, and earn something, would. Those that want to just want to lollygag and be along for the ride would be excised.

Some turnover is sorely needed.

Would you hope for Nebraska to finish 3-9 if it meant we fired Mike Riley at the end of the year?

Question: Where in the OP did I suggest I personally was hoping for us to lose out so that MR would get fired?

I thought maybe I worded it wrong, but no it reads just fine.

For the record anyone who hopes we lose a game to appease their agenda needs to rethink their fandom after cooling off. So far 14 of you, and sd'sker who for some reason carries a torch for me.

Like everyone else, I'm very frustrating by the results. It is very apparent that our talent level is far below what a all time top 5 team should have. The talent is not worthy of the tradition. I blame Bo for this. However, to loose 5 games to 5 very average teams regardless of the margin, is not acceptable. There are too many issues that cause me to shake my head - the run/pass ratio, RB selection - is Newby really the best we got?; burning Stevenson's red shirt just to watch a ball bounce through the end zone, putting Armstrong in position to fail - we got the square peg, round hole thing going here, conditioning, no rotation on the OL, few sacks, poor coverage and game mgmt. I was all for getting rid of Bo, was shocked by the MR selection, was mildly pleased by his personality, was greatly pleased that he had a good recruiting class in spite of or maybe because of the coaching change, but I've been greatly disappointed in the on field results by an experienced coaching staff. When we hired Bo, I was hoping for Paul Johnson who understood the impact of a power running game - he's done very well at GT and would have done great here wt the advantages of Nebraska. Now I wonder, what kind of $$s would it take to get Shaw from Stanford - his team resembles the NU of old and he get's it. You set up the pass wt a powerful running game and not the other way around - esp here in the upper Midwest in Oct and Nov.

My first take on the year was that we might be 9-4 and was willing to accept 7-6 and hoped we wouldn't end up 6-6. Now 6-6 is a dream. I thought that better coaching, which I think we were all expecting, with a relatively easy schedule would provide us the chance to compete in the west and end up at a decent bowl game. I also have said we need to give MR 3 years. That year 3 would be the year to prove MR's worth. I'm not sure NU's long term recruiting can stand 2 years of sub 500% performances. Unless O'Brien starts as a true freshman and turns out being the next freshman stud QB, I don't see next year as being much better than this and the schedule is more difficult with Oregon and Ohio State replacing Miami and MSU. So either we strap on our safety harness keeping us from jumping out of the building and accept below 500 play for 2 years or we cut the strings quickly after this season and spend a lot of money to get the right coach. I suspect the former & not the later will be how it plays out.

Well, if you go by Rivals ratings the past several years, we have more star talent than every team on our schedule with the exception of Sparty, though we're pretty even with them. Trying to make TA carry the team with his arm is a big mistake, not hard to predict, and our LB and secondary play is pretty weak, to say the least. Newby can't break any tackles, so I think they should've moved to Wilbon or Ozigbo a few games ago. Whatever happened to Wilbon?

Yes what happened to Wilbon, Taylor and Ozigbo?? Great ??s I do know that there has been a lot of attrition from Bo's recruiting classes so we can't think that the recruiting rankings are true to today's reality on the field. Talent wise we should be competitive wt the average teams on our schedule however. I think TA has reached the top of his game - he looked like a much improved player at first but has reverted back to all of his bad habits - including the horrible decision that led to the pick 6. I'm thinking MR needs to prepare for next year at this point - give others experience and look at some changes in his staff.

Like everyone else, I'm very frustrating by the results. It is very apparent that our talent level is far below what a all time top 5 team should have. The talent is not worthy of the tradition. I blame Bo for this. However, to loose 5 games to 5 very average teams regardless of the margin, is not acceptable. There are too many issues that cause me to shake my head - the run/pass ratio, RB selection - is Newby really the best we got?; burning Stevenson's red shirt just to watch a ball bounce through the end zone, putting Armstrong in position to fail - we got the square peg, round hole thing going here, conditioning, no rotation on the OL, few sacks, poor coverage and game mgmt. I was all for getting rid of Bo, was shocked by the MR selection, was mildly pleased by his personality, was greatly pleased that he had a good recruiting class in spite of or maybe because of the coaching change, but I've been greatly disappointed in the on field results by an experienced coaching staff. When we hired Bo, I was hoping for Paul Johnson who understood the impact of a power running game - he's done very well at GT and would have done great here wt the advantages of Nebraska. Now I wonder, what kind of $$s would it take to get Shaw from Stanford - his team resembles the NU of old and he get's it. You set up the pass wt a powerful running game and not the other way around - esp here in the upper Midwest in Oct and Nov.

My first take on the year was that we might be 9-4 and was willing to accept 7-6 and hoped we wouldn't end up 6-6. Now 6-6 is a dream. I thought that better coaching, which I think we were all expecting, with a relatively easy schedule would provide us the chance to compete in the west and end up at a decent bowl game. I also have said we need to give MR 3 years. That year 3 would be the year to prove MR's worth. I'm not sure NU's long term recruiting can stand 2 years of sub 500% performances. Unless O'Brien starts as a true freshman and turns out being the next freshman stud QB, I don't see next year as being much better than this and the schedule is more difficult with Oregon and Ohio State replacing Miami and MSU. So either we strap on our safety harness keeping us from jumping out of the building and accept below 500 play for 2 years or we cut the strings quickly after this season and spend a lot of money to get the right coach. I suspect the former & not the later will be how it plays out.

Well, if you go by Rivals ratings the past several years, we have more star talent than every team on our schedule with the exception of Sparty, though we're pretty even with them. Trying to make TA carry the team with his arm is a big mistake, not hard to predict, and our LB and secondary play is pretty weak, to say the least. Newby can't break any tackles, so I think they should've moved to Wilbon or Ozigbo a few games ago. Whatever happened to Wilbon?

Yes what happened to Wilbon, Taylor and Ozigbo?? Great ??s I do know that there has been a lot of attrition from Bo's recruiting classes so we can't think that the recruiting rankings are true to today's reality on the field. Talent wise we should be competitive wt the average teams on our schedule however. I think TA has reached the top of his game - he looked like a much improved player at first but has reverted back to all of his bad habits - including the horrible decision that led to the pick 6. I'm thinking MR needs to prepare for next year at this point - give others experience and look at some changes in his staff.

We have plenty of 4* talent on the team right now to be winning any game on our schedule. TA is a dual threat QB, so he should be treated accordingly--i.e., more read option game. It's like when MI was trying to force Devin Gardner to be pro style QB, same deal. Can't fit a square peg into a round hole. This team should be a run heavy team, period. If Riley's still here next year and gets that O'Brien kid going, then that might work out better for his pro/passing scheme.

We have plenty of 4* talent on the team right now to be winning any game on our schedule. TA is a dual threat QB, so he should be treated accordingly--i.e., more read option game. It's like when MI was trying to force Devin Gardner to be pro style QB, same deal. Can't fit a square peg into a round hole. This team should be a run heavy team, period. If Riley's still here next year and gets that O'Brien kid going, then that might work out better for his pro/passing scheme.

agree on both situations - few should be run heavy now and let's hope O'Brien is the next wiz kid who can put us back on the map.

agree on both situations - few should be run heavy now and let's hope O'Brien is the next wiz kid who can put us back on the map.

O'Brien puts us into a Stanford looking type offense, but that would be 2 years away, unless he's something extremely special. TA has another year as starter.

We've lost five games by a grand total of 13 points. This is in no way shape or form similar to Bo and Clownahan towards the end. This NW team we just lost to beat the #8 team in the country earlier in the season. The sky is not falling. However, it is time to pull off the bandaid. The players not buying in and playing pi$$ poorly need benched immediately. It's time for a youth movement.

This whole "buy in" thing is a freaking fabrication by some self promoting "insiders."

Teams that don't buy in get blown off the field consistently. They don't continually battle back to be in a position to win at the end. The sad thing is, unlike some of those Bo teams (and even Callahan teams) that got toasted, this team really hasn't faced a great team yet. Heck, I'm not even sure that they've faced a good team yet (NW may qualify). I have some serious concerns about what will happen if NU faces a great team under Riley. Luckily, MSU is a bit overrated and athletically vulnerable. That's definitely a winnable game.

The "youth movement" is an insult to some kids who have given 3 to 5 years of their lives to a program where some fans would throw them on the ash heap rather than admit that this coaching change was a colossal screw up.

Sucks that this is an anonymous vote.

Yeah I considered making it public, but I wanted to know what people really felt. Figured they wouldn't answer honestly if their vote was open to criticism. Rightfully so, I can't stand the thought of being happy about a Husker loss.

I voted No for the reasons I stated in my post above. If it was worded differently, I might have voted Yes. I firmly believe Riley is in way over his head and will never have any success here. The sooner he's gone, the better.

How would you have worded it differently that would vhange your vote?

I voted No for the reasons I stated in my post above. If it was worded differently, I might have voted Yes. I firmly believe Riley is in way over his head and will never have any success here. The sooner he's gone, the better.

How would you have worded it differently that would vhange your vote?

I explained my thoughts above. For starters, I wouldn't want 3-9 if 4-8 would also yield the same changes

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your wording. Just that I voted No with your wording. Different (more precise) wording could have made me vote Yes..

We've lost five games by a grand total of 13 points. This is in no way shape or form similar to Bo and Clownahan towards the end. This NW team we just lost to beat the #8 team in the country earlier in the season. The sky is not falling. However, it is time to pull off the bandaid. The players not buying in and playing pi$$ poorly need benched immediately. It's time for a youth movement.

This whole "buy in" thing is a freaking fabrication by some self promoting "insiders."

Teams that don't buy in get blown off the field consistently. They don't continually battle back to be in a position to win at the end. The sad thing is, unlike some of those Bo teams (and even Callahan teams) that got toasted, this team really hasn't faced a great team yet. Heck, I'm not even sure that they've faced a good team yet (NW may qualify). I have some serious concerns about what will happen if NU faces a great team under Riley. Luckily, MSU is a bit overrated and athletically vulnerable. That's definitely a winnable game.

The "youth movement" is an insult to some kids who have given 3 to 5 years of their lives to a program where some fans would throw them on the ash heap rather than admit that this coaching change was a colossal screw up.

The 'youth movement' is NOT insulting to the seniors. It is reality. We can surely all agree that when a game gets out of hand scorewise, most coaches (except the A HOLES who run up the score) pull the starters and play the young ones and back ups. Both teams substitute freely late in most games. I believe MOST will agree with this surely.

This same logic applies to teams whose SEASONS are basically over as a practical matter, especially in years like this one where the substitutes are NOT playing at all as the games have been nail biters down the to end. We have not been blown out or blown anyone out all season! Thus, most of the kids on this team have not be able to play. That is NOT FAIR and is also bad for morale, bad for future planning and etc. It is especially unfair to the young players who have come to learn and are wanting to be ready to contribute to Nebraska's football future and legacy of success.

My philosophy would be to play every game in order to win that particular game to the best of one's abilities and resources. If Nebraska isn't planning on doing that, then someone needs to renegotiate the prices of the tickets and sky boxes with the fans to reflect the intentional downgrade of the performance. One wouldn't go to a concert where the band threw out a half hearted performance because they were saving their voices for someone else somewhere on down the road.

Introduce to me the future coach that will sign an iron clad, "double your money back if not delighted" contract that guarantees 10+ wins and an appearance in the conference championship game and I would get behind it 102%...

...that's what we all have in mind, right?... :unsure: