Sacrifice 2015

Redux

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't see myself actively rooting for a loss. I will admit, though, that in the waning ends of both Callahan and Pelini's tenures here, I did feel a tinge of relief during some of the blowouts insofar as I thought it would at least hasten their firings. So, for example, my mindless rage at the 2014 Wisconsin game was tempered by a hope it might at least cost Pelini his job. But that's more "silver lining" than rooting against.

Lots of negativity right now. And with good cause. Here's a different spin on this year though. Maybe Riley came here hoping to adapt. Maybe he just doesn't know how to change his well established style. So we run with his offensive strategy and his defensive strategy ... even though we lack the players for it. The difficulty of adaptation has been aggravated by injuries throughout the roster. Still, we are so close in so many games. Maybe we upgrade our talent through recruiting. Maybe Coach Riley starts to see big time development next year.

With everyone starting "the sky is falling" threads, can we just acknowledge that it could go the other way?

That was my hope when Riley was hired: That he as coming here to bring a stable, wholesome presence to the program, and that he was such a knowledgeable coach that he could easily transition into a more power-run oriented offense. But then he surrounded himself with the same old re-treads from OSU and I thought, "Ruh roh." Still had hope I would be wrong and tried to stay positive, but things are not looking good.

He's not going to be let go, even if we lose out, so it doesn't really matter. That being said, I could never root for the Huskers to lose.

After the season I'm sure he'll be told that staff changes need to be made, and I'm holding out hope that he'll refuse to make them due to personal loyalty and will choose to resign instead. Unfortunately he has 2,700,000 reasons to make those changes and remain our coach.

I believe if it comes down to that scenario, he will try to compromise with SE and some people will be gone. Will it be the right people?

Would you hope for Nebraska to finish 3-9 if it meant we fired Mike Riley at the end of the year?

This is purely hypothtetical as we don't know for sure what would happen in thse scenarios.

But IF there was a way to know for certain that a 3-9 record would definitely lead to Riley's ouster, and that anything better than 3-9 would definitely lead to him staying, then I would prefer to see the 3-9 record and start over now instead of waiting through a few more sub-mediocre seasons.

Problem is, in the real world we'll probably see a 3-9 record and he'll still be here next year anyway. :madash

We've lost five games by a grand total of 13 points. This is in no way shape or form similar to Bo and Clownahan towards the end. This NW team we just lost to beat the #8 team in the country earlier in the season. The sky is not falling. However, it is time to pull off the bandaid. The players not buying in and playing pi$$ poorly need benched immediately. It's time for a youth movement.

• Fire 2

Like everyone else, I'm very frustrating by the results. It is very apparent that our talent level is far below what a all time top 5 team should have. The talent is not worthy of the tradition. I blame Bo for this. However, to loose 5 games to 5 very average teams regardless of the margin, is not acceptable. There are too many issues that cause me to shake my head - the run/pass ratio, RB selection - is Newby really the best we got?; burning Stevenson's red shirt just to watch a ball bounce through the end zone, putting Armstrong in position to fail - we got the square peg, round hole thing going here, conditioning, no rotation on the OL, few sacks, poor coverage and game mgmt. I was all for getting rid of Bo, was shocked by the MR selection, was mildly pleased by his personality, was greatly pleased that he had a good recruiting class in spite of or maybe because of the coaching change, but I've been greatly disappointed in the on field results by an experienced coaching staff. When we hired Bo, I was hoping for Paul Johnson who understood the impact of a power running game - he's done very well at GT and would have done great here wt the advantages of Nebraska. Now I wonder, what kind of $$s would it take to get Shaw from Stanford - his team resembles the NU of old and he get's it. You set up the pass wt a powerful running game and not the other way around - esp here in the upper Midwest in Oct and Nov.

My first take on the year was that we might be 9-4 and was willing to accept 7-6 and hoped we wouldn't end up 6-6. Now 6-6 is a dream. I thought that better coaching, which I think we were all expecting, with a relatively easy schedule would provide us the chance to compete in the west and end up at a decent bowl game. I also have said we need to give MR 3 years. That year 3 would be the year to prove MR's worth. I'm not sure NU's long term recruiting can stand 2 years of sub 500% performances. Unless O'Brien starts as a true freshman and turns out being the next freshman stud QB, I don't see next year as being much better than this and the schedule is more difficult with Oregon and Ohio State replacing Miami and MSU. So either we strap on our safety harness keeping us from jumping out of the building and accept below 500 play for 2 years or we cut the strings quickly after this season and spend a lot of money to get the right coach. I suspect the former & not the later will be how it plays out.

Like everyone else, I'm very frustrating by the results. It is very apparent that our talent level is far below what a all time top 5 team should have. The talent is not worthy of the tradition. I blame Bo for this. However, to loose 5 games to 5 very average teams regardless of the margin, is not acceptable. There are too many issues that cause me to shake my head - the run/pass ratio, RB selection - is Newby really the best we got?; burning Stevenson's red shirt just to watch a ball bounce through the end zone, putting Armstrong in position to fail - we got the square peg, round hole thing going here, conditioning, no rotation on the OL, few sacks, poor coverage and game mgmt. I was all for getting rid of Bo, was shocked by the MR selection, was mildly pleased by his personality, was greatly pleased that he had a good recruiting class in spite of or maybe because of the coaching change, but I've been greatly disappointed in the on field results by an experienced coaching staff. When we hired Bo, I was hoping for Paul Johnson who understood the impact of a power running game - he's done very well at GT and would have done great here wt the advantages of Nebraska. Now I wonder, what kind of $$s would it take to get Shaw from Stanford - his team resembles the NU of old and he get's it. You set up the pass wt a powerful running game and not the other way around - esp here in the upper Midwest in Oct and Nov.

My first take on the year was that we might be 9-4 and was willing to accept 7-6 and hoped we wouldn't end up 6-6. Now 6-6 is a dream. I thought that better coaching, which I think we were all expecting, with a relatively easy schedule would provide us the chance to compete in the west and end up at a decent bowl game. I also have said we need to give MR 3 years. That year 3 would be the year to prove MR's worth. I'm not sure NU's long term recruiting can stand 2 years of sub 500% performances. Unless O'Brien starts as a true freshman and turns out being the next freshman stud QB, I don't see next year as being much better than this and the schedule is more difficult with Oregon and Ohio State replacing Miami and MSU. So either we strap on our safety harness keeping us from jumping out of the building and accept below 500 play for 2 years or we cut the strings quickly after this season and spend a lot of money to get the right coach. I suspect the former & not the later will be how it plays out.

Well, if you go by Rivals ratings the past several years, we have more star talent than every team on our schedule with the exception of Sparty, though we're pretty even with them. Trying to make TA carry the team with his arm is a big mistake, not hard to predict, and our LB and secondary play is pretty weak, to say the least. Newby can't break any tackles, so I think they should've moved to Wilbon or Ozigbo a few games ago. Whatever happened to Wilbon?