Maliek Collins

C N Red

Don't know anything about his character, but I think he's a pretty overrated football player. His 23 tackles and 1.5 sacks have fallen well short of changing my mind this season.

He's eating up two blockers on almost every play in every game. In a numbers game of blocking and tackling, that should win you games.

H's been given plenty of opportunities over the last three years and his productivity remains less than stellar. He certainly "looks the part" though. Maybe that explains the hype.

Dude, re-watch any game this year and watch Collins play for a couple series. They are double-teaming him because they have to. It's not hype. If your definition of "productivity" for a double-teamed D-lineman is sacks and TFLs, then it's your definition that needs changing- not his play.

For perspective, Jared Crick's Junior season production despite constantly being double-teamed:

70 tackles

9.5 sacks

17 TFL

That's my zany idea of productivity.

I'd take that over being doubled and not making plays any day.

Was Crick double-teamed as much as Collins in 2010? I don't remember him being constantly double-teamed, but if so, good on him. That's a hell of a season for him.

Collins is really good and will get drafted in the NFL. Scouts knew about him before the season, and aren't likely to change their minds.

But the penalty was stupid, it was 100% his fault, and while it may not have cost his team the game, it cost one final chance to get the ball back.

Which makes it double stupid and selfish.

• Fire 1

Collins got chewed out because of the 1st down run by Jackson with about 2 minutes to go. Jackson got the 1st down because Collins pulled a 'me' play, got completely out of his gap, and gave a huge lane for Jackson to pick up a 1st down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVeQFoOspY?t=2h21m28s

What about that play makes you say it's a "me play?" It looks to me like he just got beat, with a holding-assist by #40 who appears to yank him toward the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVeQFoOspY?t=2h22m12s

Yeah, Collins shouldn't have retaliated and got the PF later on. But the game was practically over anyway. I'm sure Collins was frustrated. Like every other game this year, NU had many, many opportunities to win these games. None of them should have hinged on a single play.

I'm not sure, but perhaps the suggestion is that Collins was more interested in pile-driving the dude across from him rather than sticking to his responsibilities. His actions a couple plays later would seem to corroborate that.

Is it a case where the other guy "beat" him? He charged headlong into the center's right shoulder. Rather than eat space and clog up the running lanes, he vacated it and left a stunning gap that the announcers were chuckling about afterwards.

He & the rest of the Blackshirts had largely done a very good job early on in the game, but all the talent in the world can't account for a lapse in focus/judgement like that. With where they sent Banderas, this was Collins' lone responsibility. If he had gotten blown off the ball, that's maybe just a good play by the other guy. But he tried charging into the backfield, and the next guy up was the safety way downfield.

I agree that it wasn't about this one play, and he wasn't the only Husker all game to do something wrong. But if they were speaking to him afterwards about it, this is probably what it was about.

Collins got chewed out because of the 1st down run by Jackson with about 2 minutes to go. Jackson got the 1st down because Collins pulled a 'me' play, got completely out of his gap, and gave a huge lane for Jackson to pick up a 1st down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVeQFoOspY?t=2h21m28s

What about that play makes you say it's a "me play?" It looks to me like he just got beat, with a holding-assist by #40 who appears to yank him toward the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVeQFoOspY?t=2h22m12s

Yeah, Collins shouldn't have retaliated and got the PF later on. But the game was practically over anyway. I'm sure Collins was frustrated. Like every other game this year, NU had many, many opportunities to win these games. None of them should have hinged on a single play.

I'm not sure, but perhaps the suggestion is that Collins was more interested in pile-driving the dude across from him rather than sticking to his responsibilities. His actions a couple plays later would seem to corroborate that.

Is it a case where the other guy "beat" him? He charged headlong into the center's right shoulder. Rather than eat space and clog up the running lanes, he vacated it and left a stunning gap that the announcers were chuckling about afterwards.

He & the rest of the Blackshirts had largely done a very good job early on in the game, but all the talent in the world can't account for a lapse in focus/judgement like that. With where they sent Banderas, this was Collins' lone responsibility. If he had gotten blown off the ball, that's maybe just a good play by the other guy. But he tried charging into the backfield, and the next guy up was the safety way downfield.

I agree that it wasn't about this one play, and he wasn't the only Husker all game to do something wrong. But if they were speaking to him afterwards about it, this is probably what it was about.

Reality is, you don't know what his assignment was on that play. For all we know, Bando blitzed the wrong whole there. Or newby didn't fill over the top properly.

For perspective, Jared Crick's Junior season production despite constantly being double-teamed:

70 tackles

9.5 sacks

17 TFL

Was Crick double-teamed as much as Collins in 2010? I don't remember him being constantly double-teamed, but if so, good on him. That's a hell of a season for him.

Oh, definitely. If not more.

To clarify, I don't think he's a bad player or that he's been a liability for us or anything like that (aside from that penalty - and maybe a few plays like the one Willie pointed out). He's been a steady, serviceable player. But that's about it.

70 tackles

9.5 sacks

17 TFL

To clarify, I don't think he's a bad player or that he's been a liability for us or anything like that (aside from that penalty - and maybe a few plays like the one Willie pointed out). He's been a steady, serviceable player. But that's about it.

Nothing against Crick, but I thought he put up great numbers his junior year because Suh was constantly being double-teamed, so that left Crick with one-on-one blocking at the other DT. I remember Crick having a huge game against Baylor in 2009. I think he had like 4 sacks in that game alone.

What were Crick's numbers his senior year in 2010 when he was the main man inside and seeing double-teams.

70 tackles

9.5 sacks

17 TFL

Nothing against Crick, but I thought he put up great numbers his junior year because Suh was constantly being double-teamed, so that left Crick with one-on-one blocking at the other DT. I remember Crick having a huge game against Baylor in 2009. I think he had like 4 sacks in that game alone.

What were Crick's numbers his senior year in 2010 when he was the main man inside and seeing double-teams.

2010 numbers above are from his junior year w/o Suh.

2011 he got hurt and only played 5 games

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=831184&