Maliek Collins

C N Red

For perspective, Jared Crick's Junior season production despite constantly being double-teamed:

70 tackles

9.5 sacks

17 TFL

That's my zany idea of productivity.

I'd take that over being doubled and not making plays any day.

Was Crick double-teamed as much as Collins in 2010? I don't remember him being constantly double-teamed, but if so, good on him. That's a hell of a season for him.

Oh, definitely. If not more.

To clarify, I don't think he's a bad player or that he's been a liability for us or anything like that (aside from that penalty - and maybe a few plays like the one Willie pointed out). He's been a steady, serviceable player. But that's about it.

Nothing against Crick, but I thought he put up great numbers his junior year because Suh was constantly being double-teamed, so that left Crick with one-on-one blocking at the other DT. I remember Crick having a huge game against Baylor in 2009. I think he had like 4 sacks in that game alone.

What were Crick's numbers his senior year in 2010 when he was the main man inside and seeing double-teams.

2010 numbers above are from his junior year w/o Suh.

2011 he got hurt and only played 5 games

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=831184&

Yeah, I realized I was wrong after taking the time to look him up. I got my years mixed up.

What were Crick's numbers his senior year in 2010 when he was the main man inside and seeing double-teams.

Crick only played in five games due to injury, but he had 22 tackles (7 solo, game-high of 6), and 1 sack.

ESPN only has statistics for Maliek for 7 games, but he's had 23 tackles (9 solo, game-high of 9), and 1.5 sacks.

EDIT: I can't find Maliek's statistics for the Southern Miss game. So far, only this in regards to Freedom's late sack:

He spends a lot of time with defensive tackle Maliek Collins studying video. Akinmoladun said he planned to spend a good portion of Sunday breaking down the Southern Miss game with Collins.

"We'll go down the list, seeing what we did right and wrong. It helps a lot," Akinmoladun said.

Akinmoladun said Collins' presence alongside him allowed him make the last-play sack on Saturday. Southern Miss' offensive line paid extra attention to Collins, and Akinmoladun slipped around the left tackle to get Mullens and bring him down.

"I think I just got off the ball and the tackle was so focused on Maliek Collins," Akinmoladun said, "and I took advantage of the opportunity."

Collins got chewed out because of the 1st down run by Jackson with about 2 minutes to go. Jackson got the 1st down because Collins pulled a 'me' play, got completely out of his gap, and gave a huge lane for Jackson to pick up a 1st down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVeQFoOspY?t=2h21m28s

What about that play makes you say it's a "me play?" It looks to me like he just got beat, with a holding-assist by #40 who appears to yank him toward the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVeQFoOspY?t=2h22m12s

Yeah, Collins shouldn't have retaliated and got the PF later on. But the game was practically over anyway. I'm sure Collins was frustrated. Like every other game this year, NU had many, many opportunities to win these games. None of them should have hinged on a single play.

When you are playing nickel coverage with a blitzing LB, you HAVE to stay in your gap as a lineman. Even more so when you're lining up as a 1-tech as Collins was on this play. Instead, Collins attempts to make a play, but washes himself out of his gap responsibility and into his blitzing teammate, leaving a gigantic hole.

TBH, the Northwestern center didn't even need to lay a hand on Collins in this play. He could have let Collins just go by his outside shoulder because Collins ran himself out of the play.

• Fire 1

Collins got chewed out because of the 1st down run by Jackson with about 2 minutes to go. Jackson got the 1st down because Collins pulled a 'me' play, got completely out of his gap, and gave a huge lane for Jackson to pick up a 1st down.

What about that play makes you say it's a "me play?" It looks to me like he just got beat, with a holding-assist by #40 who appears to yank him toward the right.

Yeah, Collins shouldn't have retaliated and got the PF later on. But the game was practically over anyway. I'm sure Collins was frustrated. Like every other game this year, NU had many, many opportunities to win these games. None of them should have hinged on a single play.

When you are playing nickel coverage with a blitzing LB, you HAVE to stay in your gap as a lineman. Even more so when you're lining up as a 1-tech as Collins was on this play. Instead, Collins attempts to make a play, but washes himself out of his gap responsibility and into his blitzing teammate, leaving a gigantic hole.

TBH, the Northwestern center didn't even need to lay a hand on Collins in this play. He could have let Collins just go by his outside shoulder because Collins ran himself out of the play.

What is #3 Newby supposed to be doing on that play, assuming his assignment isn't to run into the back of Greg McMullen?

What is #3 Newby supposed to be doing on that play, assuming his assignment isn't to run into the back of Greg McMullen?

He appears to be keying the back and trying to fill but McMullen got pushed back by the double-team. Not sure it really mattered because the guard was going to come off the double-team and block Newby as soon as he showed.

When they have 7 guys to block six, their odds of gaining yards are pretty good.

Let me get this straight. We are allowed to be critical of a guy "not doing what he's supposed to" on one play near the end of the game when the game was pretty much decided, because that guy is a projected NFL draft pick, and some fans expect more out of him because he is super talented. But, when a "hard-working, all-heart" walk-on defender makes a crazy spin-move to the inside and loses outside contain and the QB has a free-run to throw a last-second Hail Mary, which is completed, and NU loses, we aren't supposed to say anything negative about that guy because he worked himself to be a Blackshirt, even though he has average talent.

• Fire 2

Let me get this straight. We are allowed to be critical of a guy "not doing what he's supposed to" on one play near the end of the game when the game was pretty much decided, because that guy is a projected NFL draft pick, and some fans expect more out of him because he is super talented. But, when a "hard-working, all-heart" walk-on defender makes a crazy spin-move to the inside and loses outside contain and the QB has a free-run to throw a last-second Hail Mary, which is completed, and NU loses, we aren't supposed to say anything negative about that guy because he worked himself to be a Blackshirt, even though he has average talent.

???

Gangwish got plenty of criticism for that on this board.

• Fire 1

For perspective, Jared Crick's Junior season production despite constantly being double-teamed:

70 tackles

9.5 sacks

17 TFL

Was Crick double-teamed as much as Collins in 2010? I don't remember him being constantly double-teamed, but if so, good on him. That's a hell of a season for him.

To clarify, I don't think he's a bad player or that he's been a liability for us or anything like that (aside from that penalty - and maybe a few plays like the one Willie pointed out). He's been a steady, serviceable player. But that's about it.

Nothing against Crick, but I thought he put up great numbers his junior year because Suh was constantly being double-teamed, so that left Crick with one-on-one blocking at the other DT. I remember Crick having a huge game against Baylor in 2009. I think he had like 4 sacks in that game alone.

I think he was hurt pre-season 2011. He was never himself that year. Torn pectoral muscle?

70 tackles

9.5 sacks

17 TFL

I think he was hurt pre-season 2011. He was never himself that year. Torn pectoral muscle?

His senior year he was hurt in the OSU game and didn't play again. That year, he was constantly double teamed. One on one, he could beat almost anyone. He wasn't as good as Suh against a double team....but....hey.....who is?

So, it appeared to me that his main objective his senior year was to eat up blocks. He was to occupy at least two blockers in hopes it would spring someone else loose. That worked until he got hurt.

"Well what about so and so .."

Sadly, this is part of the problem with the locker room too. No one willing to accept responsibility for mistakes.

Maybe a media member should ask Jack Gangwish who was to blame for this play. I bet they would get an interesting answer.