OWH: Huskers Could Make Bowl at 5-7

Mavric

If our basketball team turns down the CBI or CIT, why should the football team go to a bowl game at 5-7?

As I understand it, the CBI and CIT were clear money losers. Pay to play. With a bowl, we should at least get our expenses covered.

Those of you who don't like it don't have to go or even watch it.

exactly. i am a fan of supporting this team. not rooting for a coach, or taking pleasure in another coach failing.

i root for the program as a whole and want to see them succeed and will support them when they lose, which is when they need the true fans' support the most.

• Fire 1

If we go 5-7 or even 6-6 I have no desire to go to a bowl. At 7-5 I'm not even sure it's deserved but they have played a hard season and had almost no breaks go their way.

Personally I think we have too many bowls anyways. Regardless, there are some really good group of 5 teams that will get left out in favor of power 5 teams that have a bad record. I say reward those teams that earned it with wins.

If Nebraska goes 7-5, they go on a 4 game winning streak and beat #6 MSU and #10 Iowa. If that happens, they definitely earned a bowl appearance. Same if they go 6-6. 5-7 will wins against Purdue and Rutgers... :dunno...pass.

If they go 6-6 with a win over MSU or Iowa I have no issue with them getting a bowl game. I don't like it, I think it waters fown the whole bowl experience because technically 6-6 isn't a winning season. Technically not a losing season either but you get the point.

The money hungry ESPN machine has made up so many pointless bowl games an underacvhieving 5-7 team gets to participatr. We do not deserve a bowl for that.

i would like to see you walk up to our seniors or tommy or westerkamp or any of the other players who lay it on the line every goddamn day for this team, this school, and these fans that they do not deserve a bowl game.

Maybe we can get Tim Miles to do that.

If we go 5-7 or even 6-6 I have no desire to go to a bowl. At 7-5 I'm not even sure it's deserved but they have played a hard season and had almost no breaks go their way.

Personally I think we have too many bowls anyways. Regardless, there are some really good group of 5 teams that will get left out in favor of power 5 teams that have a bad record. I say reward those teams that earned it with wins.

If Nebraska goes 7-5, they go on a 4 game winning streak and beat #6 MSU and #10 Iowa. If that happens, they definitely earned a bowl appearance. Same if they go 6-6. 5-7 will wins against Purdue and Rutgers... :dunno...pass.

If they go 6-6 with a win over MSU or Iowa I have no issue with them getting a bowl game. I don't like it, I think it waters fown the whole bowl experience because technically 6-6 isn't a winning season. Technically not a losing season either but you get the point.

The money hungry ESPN machine has made up so many pointless bowl games an underacvhieving 5-7 team gets to participatr. We do not deserve a bowl for that.

i would like to see you walk up to our seniors or tommy or westerkamp or any of the other players who lay it on the line every goddamn day for this team, this school, and these fans that they do not deserve a bowl game.

Maybe we can get Tim Miles to do that.

maybe this shouldn't be a joke.

Biggest thing about making a bowl game is the extra practices.

Because we definitely need them.

not sure all the practices in the world will help our sh#t talent and their sh**ty attitude.

we need new players and a youth movement.

You're saying it is not the sh*t coaching? I'm shocked.

Yeah, we heard it after every blowout loss under Bo (which there were plenty). Players lose blowouts, coaches lose close games. Nebraska's five losses have a point differential of 5, 3, 1, 2, and 2. Put that on the coaches.

I call BS on this. For several of those games anyway.

Idiotic playcall at Illinois. But TA threw that ball on 3rd down.

TA lobbed the pick at Miami. Lewis sealed it with the late hit.

TA threw the pick six this weekend.

Even within the confines of strange and/or poor coaching decisions, players have to be accountable too.

Even if some of the blame lies with the players, that still goes back to coaching. The buck stops there.

No it doesn't. Coaches aren't out on the field playing the game. That's on the players.

Oh get off your high horse, your crap is getting so old.

People get on here and blast the players saying they have no talent, that they are brainwashed, that they have no heart, they have no NFL future etc etc etc. And I think thats crap. They chose to play for Nebraska so I will defend them for their entire career. Where are you then? Apparantely waiting for me to say something you can twist around and complain about.

My simple personal opinion is the bowl system has been watered down and 5-7 teams shouldn't go bowling. If that means Nebraska misses a bowl, that sucks for our players and I won't like it but it is what it is.

• Fire 3

People get on here and blast the players syaing they have no talent, that they are brainwashed, that they have no heart, they have no NFL future etc etc etc. And I think thats crap. They chose to play for Nebraska so I will defend them for their entire career. Where are you then? Apparsntely waiting for me to say something you can twist around and complain about.

My simple personal opinion is the bowl system has been watered down and 5-7 teams shouldn't go bowling. If that means Nebraska misses a bowl, that sucks for our players and I won't like it but it is what it is.

whatever, if the bowl system says they deserve a bowl, then they deserve a bowl. and if you don't like them missing a bowl, you should be rooting for them to get to a bowl.

People get on here and blast the players syaing they have no talent, that they are brainwashed, that they have no heart, they have no NFL future etc etc etc. And I think thats crap. They chose to play for Nebraska so I will defend them for their entire career. Where are you then? Apparsntely waiting for me to say something you can twist around and complain about.

whatever, if the bowl system says they deserve a bowl, then they deserve a bowl. and if you don't like them missing a bowl, you should be rooting for them to get to a bowl.

Does a 5-7 Nebraska deserve a bowl more than say an 8-4 East Carolina? Probably not. But because Nebraska is a better draw, they will get the invite.

You really think the bowl execs care about the players?

As I said, try not to hurt yourself getting off the horse.

• Fire 2

Does a 5-7 Nebraska deserve a bowl more than say an 8-4 East Carolina? Probably not. But because Nebraska is a better draw, they will get the invite.

You really think the bowl execs care about the players?

As I said, try not to hurt yourself getting off the horse.

please stop addressing me, rather than my post.

just because the players are bad, their attitudes are bad, none of them are going to the nfl does not mean they should not get to enjoy the bowl experience if invited. it is what is best for the program and the team, so i will root for it.

Nebraska will be extraordinarily lucky to make a bowl with a losing season. It's like playing a Big Ten championship against a 3rd-ranked team in the other division.

It's a gift that isn't necessarily deserved, but an unambiguously good opportunity for the program that should be embraced if it falls our way.

6-7 in a season where four games were lost on the last play is also going to look a lot better as we move past the raw emotions of gamedays.

• Fire 1

That's great, I applaud your fandom sd'sker. I also think it's cute how you are trying to rope me into getting a vacation because of some personal gripe you have with me.

If they get a bowl at 5-7, good for them. I still don't think that is earning it though and I bet some of the players feel the same way.

• Fire 2

That's great, I applaud your fandom sd'sker. I also think it's cute how you are trying to rope me into getting a vacation because of some personal gripe you have with me.

If they get a bowl at 5-7, good for them. I still don't think that is earning it though and I bet some of the players feel the same way.

not trying to rope you into anything. just stating my position. hope this team makes a bowl game. sorry if that makes me a bad fan.

Based off our current schemes and coaching, any opponent we play is going to be a toss-up at best, and none should be overlooked.

2618260.jpg

This is a little overly pessimistic don't you think? Toss up with Purdue? Let's not jump off the cliff yet. I'd gladly put my money on us if the line was even on Purdue and Rutgers. My kool-aid drinking self even thinks that we have a chance against Iowa.

On Huskerboard, Purdue is a contender.