OWH: Huskers Could Make Bowl at 5-7

Mavric

I find it ironic that if Nebraska gets to a bowl this year at 5-7 it is literally because of Pelini. I have no idea if Riley's numbers are/or will be similar, hopefully so. But the rolling APR will be from Pelini.

Nothing like throwing gasoline on a flaming pile of dog turds...

giphy.gif

• Fire 1

If we go 5-7 or even 6-6 I have no desire to go to a bowl. At 7-5 I'm not even sure it's deserved but they have played a hard season and had almost no breaks go their way.

Personally I think we have too many bowls anyways. Regardless, there are some really good group of 5 teams that will get left out in favor of power 5 teams that have a bad record. I say reward those teams that earned it with wins.

• Fire 2

Biggest thing about making a bowl game is the extra practices.

Because we definitely need them.

not sure all the practices in the world will help our sh#t talent and their sh**ty attitude.

we need new players and a youth movement.

How did our 9 win talent all of the sudden go down the toilet like this? The coaching has absolutely nothing to do with it...

not sure all the practices in the world will help our sh#t talent and their sh**ty attitude.

I'd prefer a youth movement at our Head Coaching and coordinator positions to compliment the bowel movement of a season we're having.

• Fire 3

You're saying it is not the sh*t coaching? I'm shocked.

Yeah, we heard it after every blowout loss under Bo (which there were plenty). Players lose blowouts, coaches lose close games. Nebraska's five losses have a point differential of 5, 3, 1, 2, and 2. Put that on the coaches.

I call BS on this. For several of those games anyway.

Idiotic playcall at Illinois. But TA threw that ball on 3rd down.

TA lobbed the pick at Miami. Lewis sealed it with the late hit.

TA threw the pick six this weekend.

Even within the confines of strange and/or poor coaching decisions, players have to be accountable too.

• Fire 3

Yeah, we heard it after every blowout loss under Bo (which there were plenty). Players lose blowouts, coaches lose close games. Nebraska's five losses have a point differential of 5, 3, 1, 2, and 2. Put that on the coaches.

Even within the confines of strange and/or poor coaching decisions, players have to be accountable too.

Even if some of the blame lies with the players, that still goes back to coaching. The buck stops there.

Here's your positive outlook for the day:

Since 2012, the NCAA has technically allowed 5-7 teams to play in bowl games provided there aren't enough 6-6 teams to fill out the slots. There are a variety other tiebreakers than come into play - such as FCS teams making the transition to FBS or 6-7 teams that play in conference title games, but the bottom line is: It's possible.

And there are now 40 bowl games. Which is why CBS Sports Jerry Palm - who has long done the best job among national writers of understanding bowl tie-ins and trying correctly project teams into bowl games - has eight projected 5-7 teams in bowl games right now.
Nebraska is one of them. Here's one big reason why:
When the NCAA tiebreaker for bowls heads to 5-7 teams, the Academic Progress Rate score - a four-year rolling average of graduation rates and other academic metrics - comes in to play.
And while Nebraska may be mediocre on the field, it is not, and hasn't been, mediocre in the classroom.
The Huskers' 2013-2014 rolling APR score is 985 out of possible 1000.

OWH

As long as we make a bowl game I would be ok with a 2nd year for Riley, but I still think it is a waste of time giving him another year. I'm not sure what would be more harmful to a program firing a coach after one year, or letting Riley coach for another year

• Fire 1

If we go 5-7 or even 6-6 I have no desire to go to a bowl. At 7-5 I'm not even sure it's deserved but they have played a hard season and had almost no breaks go their way.

Personally I think we have too many bowls anyways. Regardless, there are some really good group of 5 teams that will get left out in favor of power 5 teams that have a bad record. I say reward those teams that earned it with wins.

If Nebraska goes 7-5, they go on a 4 game winning streak and beat #6 MSU and #10 Iowa. If that happens, they definitely earned a bowl appearance. Same if they go 6-6. 5-7 will wins against Purdue and Rutgers... :dunno...pass.

Even if some of the blame lies with the players, that still goes back to coaching. The buck stops there.

Well by that logic, nothing is ever a player's fault. The coach recruited the player there in the first place so it's the coaches fault. These guys are starting to get paid so it's time that they start to shoulder some of the responsibility. There is plenty to put on the coaches, but there is also a lot to put on the players as well.

If Nebraska goes 7-5, they go on a 4 game winning streak and beat #6 MSU and #10 Iowa. If that happens, they definitely earned a bowl appearance. Same if they go 6-6. 5-7 will wins against Purdue and Rutgers... :dunno...pass.

If they go 6-6 with a win over MSU or Iowa I have no issue with them getting a bowl game. I don't like it, I think it waters fown the whole bowl experience because technically 6-6 isn't a winning season. Technically not a losing season either but you get the point.

The money hungry ESPN machine has made up so many pointless bowl games an underacvhieving 5-7 team gets to participatr. We do not deserve a bowl for that.

If they go 6-6 with a win over MSU or Iowa I have no issue with them getting a bowl game. I don't like it, I think it waters fown the whole bowl experience because technically 6-6 isn't a winning season. Technically not a losing season either but you get the point.

The money hungry ESPN machine has made up so many pointless bowl games an underacvhieving 5-7 team gets to participatr. We do not deserve a bowl for that.

i would like to see you walk up to our seniors or tommy or westerkamp or any of the other players who lay it on the line every goddamn day for this team, this school, and these fans that they do not deserve a bowl game.