College Football Matrix: Anti-Coach Effect

Mavric

Holy crap, that's the best joke I've heard all day.

There are actually people that are so uneducated and clueless that they actually believe Bo Pelini is a better coach than Mike Riley. That one has me rolling pretty good. Thanks for that.

I wonder what it would be like to be so simple minded that you'd believe that just because one coach won 9 games and one coach has 3 wins, that that automatically means the 9 win coach is the better football coach. Oh, the bliss that comes with absolute ignorance. I wish I could step back in time to a place where I was once immature and didn' t have to use my brain.

If we are going to completely throw out wins and losses, which might seem like an important indicator, what is your criteria to determine if one coach is better than the other?

Why would we throw out wins and losses?

Be my guest, include wins and losses.

I think I can answer that for him.

See, you throw out all of Bo's wins, because they were crappy teams he played against and he got lucky. Then, you throw out all of Riley's losses because they were really moral victories. Riley is undefeated and Bo was winless.

Boom! Chessmate, haters!

• Fire 2

How does one gauge talent to begin with? How do we know that our players have more talent then Illi, BYU, Miami or who ever else we play? What is the measuring stick that is being used? I keep seeing people say that we are more talented but how do you actually know.

Like Saunders said, the rankings aren't perfect. However we're 25th when it comes to the talent composite. Illinois is 58th, BYU is 52nd, Wisconsin is 40th, Northwestern is 48th. Heck Southern Miss is 74th, and they almost came back against us at home. The rankings aren't going to be 100% but they aren't going to be that far off either. The only team that had more talent is Miami who is 20th...but we made them look like the most talented team in the country in that 1st half because our passing scheme is basing their success on the opposing QB not being able to throw. So a NFL prospect like Kaaya completely shredded us. And our offense which is based on the pass played right into Miami's strength on defense which is ranked 116th in rush defense. Not very smart football.

And Miami fired Golden in the middle of the season because of the inability to convert talent into wins.

Holy crap, that's the best joke I've heard all day.

There are actually people that are so uneducated and clueless that they actually believe Bo Pelini is a better coach than Mike Riley. That one has me rolling pretty good. Thanks for that.

I wonder what it would be like to be so simple minded that you'd believe that just because one coach won 9 games and one coach has 3 wins, that that automatically means the 9 win coach is the better football coach. Oh, the bliss that comes with absolute ignorance. I wish I could step back in time to a place where I was once immature and didn' t have to use my brain.

If we are going to completely throw out wins and losses, which might seem like an important indicator, what is your criteria to determine if one coach is better than the other?

Why would we throw out wins and losses?

Be my guest, include wins and losses.

I think I can answer that for him.

See, you throw out all of Bo's wins, because they were crappy teams he played against and he got lucky. Then, you throw out all of Riley's losses because they were really moral victories. Riley is undefeated and Bo was winless.

Boom! Chessmate, haters!

Ha!

I am starting to think that some fans will mark down this season as 0-0 for Riley...

• Fire 2

Last I checked, Bo Pelini took over a 7-5 Youngstown State team, brought in a couple of his own big time Power 5 players, and has elevated the Penguins to a 3-4 record while complaining that the stands at their 14,000 seat stadium are only half full.

Until he loses 5 games, he's a better coach than Mike Riley.

That's not my opinion, people. That's just straight up math.

Last year, Youngstown lost their last three games to finish 7-5. They were on a downward spiral.

And unlike Riley, Bo still has a chance to improve on the previous season's record.

If I worked for The Onion and my assignment was to write an article satirizing the thoughts of Riley obsessed Bo apologists, there is no way I could possibly improve on your work here in this post. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

• Fire 1

Last I checked, Bo Pelini took over a 7-5 Youngstown State team, brought in a couple of his own big time Power 5 players, and has elevated the Penguins to a 3-4 record while complaining that the stands at their 14,000 seat stadium are only half full.

Until he loses 5 games, he's a better coach than Mike Riley.

That's not my opinion, people. That's just straight up math.

Last year, Youngstown lost their last three games to finish 7-5. They were on a downward spiral.

And unlike Riley, Bo still has a chance to improve on the previous season's record.

If I worked for The Onion and my assignment was to write an article satirizing the thoughts of Riley obsessed Bo apologists, there is no way I could possibly improve on your work here in this post. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but you're doing it wrong. All I posted were three simple facts.

Can't we just agree that Bo needed to go and that Riley sucks this year?

It is okay to say that. Maybe next year he goes 12-0...but this year he sucks. And yes, it is on the head coach...that is just how it works.

No question that Bo needed to go. But Pederhorst and Harvey share some of the blame for that.

Can't we just agree that Bo needed to go and that Riley sucks this year?

It is okay to say that. Maybe next year he goes 12-0...but this year he sucks. And yes, it is on the head coach...that is just how it works.

I'm partially with you, trust me, I didn't expect this staff to come in and put up this record. It's a miserable win/loss record. And if win/loss record was all I looked for in determining who is/isn't a good football coach, then we'd have a discussion here.

Unfortunately, Bo Pelini's record as a leader of men is included in his resume' as a coach. I think sometimes that part can even be the more important part when it comes to the Head Coach. Position coaches are there for a reason. As the Head Coach, I saw Bo Pelini struggle in a lot of aspects that Riley destroys him in.

A clear plan, a calm demeanor, trusting your players and coaches to do their jobs, and the simple knowledge of how to treat people and talk to people, can go a long ways. You may not see the results from these things as quickly as you'd like, but I have a deep belief that these things eventually take root and build the culture of your program. It just takes time.

This season is a culmination of so many unfortunate things that have happened in this program. It's hard for me to sit here and say that these coaches "suck", when I see so much "suck" from so many aspects of this team. I'd like to see Riley get the time to bring his own brand of leadership into the program and in no way do I feel like he has full ownership of this team yet.

I really think this guy get's it and can end up doing well here. He's really stepped into a tough situation. Unfortunately, every single time we've been within a play of ending these negative discussions, we've instead fueled them. 5 games by 13 points, just unbelievable really, and truly unfortunate.

Riley has a clear plan?

What makes you think that versus Bo, who was actuall part of great programs and around the games best coaches his entire career?

There's a myth that Bo is a dumb ogre. In reality, he's got an extremely sharp mind, and though I don't put huge emphasis on this, he was an academic all big ten player. everyone who is around him refers to him as very intelligent.

This season is a culmination of some awful administrators firing a .700 coach and replacing him with a sub .500 coach.

It's really not as complicated as you're trying to make it.

Losing close games is neither unbelievable or a sign that a coach is close to winning. That's just more false hope layered onto the crap cake people have been fed by this admin since the change.

• Fire 2

Riley has a clear plan?

What makes you think that versus Bo, who was actuall part of great programs and around the games best coaches his entire career?

There's a myth that Bo is a dumb ogre. In reality, he's got an extremely sharp mind, and though I don't put huge emphasis on this, he was an academic all big ten player. everyone who is around him refers to him as very intelligent.

This season is a culmination of some awful administrators firing a .700 coach and replacing him with a sub .500 coach.

It's really not as complicated as you're trying to make it.

Losing close games is neither unbelievable or a sign that a coach is close to winning. That's just more false hope layered onto the crap cake people have been fed by this admin since the change.

He may be smart. Not denying that. But he's also a hypersensitive, narcissistic a-hole who should in no way be in charge leading and developing young men in their first years away from home. That's why he was fired. When you people realize that losses was not what got him fired, you'll be better off with what's going on. Wins coulda kept his job, but losses didnt lose it. Bo should take his ass back to the NFL where guys are hopefully mature enough to see through his bullsh#t and just execute his process.