Washington high school coach “under investigation” for praying after games

There's nothing stopping any other religion from holding a prayer session at the same time.

The fact that multiple religions exist and may want to do the same thing should not stop these people from praying. That field is a public place and they can use it as they see fit. Allowing that prayer does not constitute an endorsement on the part of the school.

Except that it does when it's concluding a school sponsored event. On school property. With school staff.

"Concluding" the event? It sounds like the coach's prayer is a voluntary thing done after the event is over. Do the Huskers still do this? I know they used to. Given the way things are going, maybe we should start praying again.

Yes, after every game. There's always a prayer at midfield. Lots of times visiting players participate. Ron Brown used to lead those prayers. Not sure who does now.

But, it's not just the Huskers doing the prayer. It's basically members of the team who are part of FCA, and they welcome players from the opponent, as well.

But the real problem is that it opens it up for all kinds of other "religions". It's fine if he has the prayer thingy at the 50 yard line, but if they allow it, they have to allow everybody to do it.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/brace-for-field-day-on-bremertons-50-yard-line/

Yup. This is what people continually fail to realize--there's a lot of religions out there, so how is one expected to let them all in.

Plus, it's a public institution/school. Shouldn't be doing it there in the first place.

There's nothing stopping any other religion from holding a prayer session at the same time.

The fact that multiple religions exist and may want to do the same thing should not stop these people from praying. That field is a public place and they can use it as they see fit. Allowing that prayer does not constitute an endorsement on the part of the school.

Except that it does when it's concluding a school sponsored event. On school property. With school staff.

I think we've just identified the type of person who would complain about this. The type of person who doesn't quite get that it's voluntary, that people of any religion (or no religion at all) could do this (or not do this) if they wanted, and that freedom of religion is intended to allow people to practice their faith without interference from others or from the government.

• Fire 2

It's only an endorsement if they don't let other groups do the same thing. This opens it up to the Wiccans and Pagans and Satanists and Pastafarians and all of a sudden you have a circus after every game.

That's why the school shut him down. It's just much easier.

Besides, if the guy is such a good Christian, why doesn't he take Jesus's advice?

Do you have any examples of how "all of a sudden you have a circus after every game."? I have not seen this happen and, to my knowledge, all other groups and religions are able to do the same thing if they wish to. When exactly has it turned into a circus?

Also, I must comment on this; "if the guy is such a good Christian, why doesn't he take Jesus's advice?"

Gotta love it when someone basically ignores the overall gist of Jesus' message yet has no hesitancy to pick and choose what specific "advice" others should take and apparently which they should ignore. It sort of came off like you were ridiculously attempting to say that Jesus would not approve of a group prayer after the game........oh wait, that is what you said. :facepalm:

• Fire 1

This seems like a situation where someone just wanted to raise a stink about something. A voluntary prayer after a sporting event hurts nobody and if your muslim and want to do your evening prayer after the game, then so be it.

The fact is, some atheists believe that they should be able to go through life never having to even experience or be around anything religious and that's just not what the constitution says. It doesn't say religion should be banned from all public places so that you don't ever have to experience seeing someone actively participating in their own religion.

• Fire 1

It's only an endorsement if they don't let other groups do the same thing. This opens it up to the Wiccans and Pagans and Satanists and Pastafarians and all of a sudden you have a circus after every game.

Besides, if the guy is such a good Christian, why doesn't he take Jesus's advice?

Do you have any examples of how "all of a sudden you have a circus after every game."? I have not seen this happen and, to my knowledge, all other groups and religions are able to do the same thing if they wish to. When exactly has it turned into a circus?

Also, I must comment on this; "if the guy is such a good Christian, why doesn't he take Jesus's advice?"

Gotta love it when someone basically ignores the overall gist of Jesus' message yet has no hesitancy to pick and choose what specific "advice" others should take and apparently which they should ignore. It sort of came off like you were ridiculously attempting to say that Jesus would not approve of a group prayer after the game........oh wait, that is what you said. :facepalm:

I linked an article above about the Satanic Temple of Seattle planning to join in the 50 yard line prayer.

As to your other comments, are you accusing me of ignoring Jesus's message? What part of Jesus's message did I suggest that people ignore? Are you confusing me with someone else?

I suggest you read the gospels. Jesus was very clear in Matt 6. The coach is obviously ignoring that advice. I'm not judging him (more advice from Jesus). I'm just pointing out what he's doing. Personally, I try to follow all of Jesus's teachings.

Jesus rarely spoke literally, so he's probably taking Jesus' advice in the way he best understands it.

Jesus did use a lot of parables. But he also spoke literally, and did it quite often.

• Fire 1

Good post. I think Americans need to grow some b...s and not be so easily offended. It goes back to our legal system in which everyone is suing everyone for the smallest things.

I linked an article above about the Satanic Temple of Seattle planning to join in the 50 yard line prayer.

As to your other comments, are you accusing me of ignoring Jesus's message? What part of Jesus's message did I suggest that people ignore? Are you confusing me with someone else?

I suggest you read the gospels. Jesus was very clear in Matt 6. The coach is obviously ignoring that advice. I'm not judging him (more advice from Jesus). I'm just pointing out what he's doing. Personally, I try to follow all of Jesus's teachings.

Bump for JJ

• 3 weeks later...

Good post. I think Americans need to grow some b...s and not be so easily offended. It goes back to our legal system in which everyone is suing everyone for the smallest things.

im sure balls would offend some one as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump for JJ since I'm no longer on his ignore list.

Welcome back to my unignored world GBRedneck. I would say I've missed you but that wouldn't be completely true and I sure don't want to bear any false witness here so.......

I wasn't accusing you of ignoring Jesus' message. However, what you were doing is picking and choosing which part of his message to apply to this circumstance. Yes, Jesus made it clear that people should not showboat in public. He also gave us the Lord's Prayer as a "best" way to pray. Call me crazy but, if I take into account the overall message of Jesus and the gospel, I cannot come to the conclusion that Jesus would disapprove of a group prayer in public any more than he would disapprove of praying something other than the Our Father. I believe there are cases and circumstances where you cannot apply only one specific thing he said while ignoring the overall message. That was my point.

Do you really think Jesus would disapprove of a group prayer at the 50 yard line, in all cases, under every circumstance?

Welcome back to my unignored world GBRedneck. I would say I've missed you but that wouldn't be completely true and I sure don't want to bear any false witness here so.......

I wasn't accusing you of ignoring Jesus' message. However, what you were doing is picking and choosing which part of his message to apply to this circumstance. Yes, Jesus made it clear that people should not showboat in public. He also gave us the Lord's Prayer as a "best" way to pray. Call me crazy but, if I take into account the overall message of Jesus and the gospel, I cannot come to the conclusion that Jesus would disapprove of a group prayer in public any more than he would disapprove of praying something other than the Our Father. I believe there are cases and circumstances where you cannot apply only one specific thing he said while ignoring the overall message. That was my point.

Do you really think Jesus would disapprove of a group prayer at the 50 yard line, in all cases, under every circumstance?

Thanks for the response JJ! I've spent many sleepless nights worrying about this and now I feel like I can get my life back on track again. :worship

I wasn't trying to say that Jesus would disapprove of his prayer group. But He clearly taught a different way to go about it. I do think Jesus would disapprove if the guy put up a big stink about continuing his prayer group after the admin says to stop. I also think He would disapprove of people complaining about the group prayers.

And I don't know what part of Jesus's message includes group prayers at the 50 yard line of a football game. Which part of His message are you talking about?

I'll answer that with my own question.

Which part of the biblical message would indicate that God does not want the message shared with the masses? There are plenty of parts encouraging evangelizing. How would organizing a public group prayer go against that?

I think when you fail to come up with a good answer for that, that it should indicate that maybe what he was doing does not go against the message. And I would also add that I doubt if Jesus gives two rips if the administration asked him to stop. I don't recall toeing the line with authority being high on his list.