Losing the Fan Base?

My issue isn't whether anyone is a "fan" or not. It's clear that the most vocal critics are among the most zealous fans. But some of the excessive criticism actually hurts the program. Like calling for a coach's head after part of his first season when there's just no way he'd get fired that soon. All that does is make it more difficult for the staff to recruit players. But a lot of these "fans" don't seem to care about that. :dunno:

• Fire 2

My issue isn't whether anyone is a "fan" or not. It's clear that the most vocal critics are among the most zealous fans. But some of the excessive criticism actually hurts the program. Like calling for a coach's head after part of his first season when there's just no way he'd get fired that soon. All that does is make it more difficult for the staff to recruit players. But a lot of these "fans" don't seem to care about that. :dunno:

So does losing seasons, shaken confidence in a staff to produce, and limited play time in positions. I AM a fan. I have missed 1 home game in 6-7 years, I am setting up tents at 6am every home game, I NEVER leave my seat early (even though I want to sometimes) but I am educated in the game and I know what I see and to be vocal about it should not take away from the rest.

• Fire 2

So does losing seasons, shaken confidence in a staff to produce, and limited play time in positions. I AM a fan. I have missed 1 home game in 6-7 years, I am setting up tents at 6am every home game, I NEVER leave my seat early (even though I want to sometimes) but I am educated in the game and I know what I see and to be vocal about it should not take away from the rest.

You just validated everything in my post.

• Fire 1

I'm a Husker fan, and a Dallas Cowboys fan. And my hobby of watching football really sucks this year!

......because I'm a fan.

You and me both. Not a fan of Romo, but still watch them on tv very chance I get, see them when they come to play the Panthers (co-fave with Cowboys) and still get mad, talk smack and complain when they lose. Still a huge fan.

Not really. See that last part of your post "But a lot of these "fans" don't seem to care about that." That's where we disagree. You think because I have a different opinion, I'm not a "fan". your own words.

• Fire 1

3 positives minimum for every negative spoken is the limit beyond which most people who hear you will label you an energy vampire and will avoid you and forevermore disregard your opinions. It's easy to blow by the neg limit with repetition. There are a dozen or more posters who've done that this month.

I have blocked 2-3 posters in 2 weeks and I expect I'll block more soon. They are all the same. Constant repetitive negativity most of which is OLD news and debatable rather than fact and the arguments are weak.

Being behind enemy lines, I often have to go to a sports bar to watch the game. The atmosphere is poor because since 2001, the Huskers are always on a small TV with no sound, and I am the only person interested in the game. Add to that the uncomfortable chairs, and all the noise from the other games, and it is less than ideal. Given that, I have rarely missed a Husker game on TV when I was in the US. But this week I have chosen to listen to the Huskers on the radio. I am not sure if that is losing the fan base, but I would rather listen to the game and read comments on this board, than invest the time and money to see the game.

3 positives minimum for every negative spoken is the limit beyond which most people who hear you will label you an energy vampire and will avoid you and forevermore disregard your opinions.

Is this sarcasm? Because it's unreasonable to think the posts would be overwhelmingly optimistic considered how the season is playing out. I guess the perennial foil to an "energy vampire" would be a "sunshine pumper", wouldn't it?

But we have a new quarterback starting and wearing red pants again, so hope springs eternal. I am looking forward to rooting for Nebraska today, especially since we have a Nebraskan playing in a Nebraska uniform.

3 positives minimum for every negative spoken is the limit beyond which most people who hear you will label you an energy vampire and will avoid you and forevermore disregard your opinions. It's easy to blow by the neg limit with repetition. There are a dozen or more posters who've done that this month.

I have blocked 2-3 posters in 2 weeks and I expect I'll block more soon. They are all the same. Constant repetitive negativity most of which is OLD news and debatable rather than fact and the arguments are weak.

Woot! Everybody on the Energy Bus! :band:band

Not really. See that last part of your post "But a lot of these "fans" don't seem to care about that." That's where we disagree. You think because I have a different opinion, I'm not a "fan". your own words.

No. That is not what I said. Here are my words:

It's clear that the most vocal critics are among the most zealous fans. But some of the excessive criticism actually hurts the program. Like calling for a coach's head after part of his first season when there's just no way he'd get fired that soon. All that does is make it more difficult for the staff to recruit players. But a lot of these "fans" don't seem to care about that. :dunno:

I put the little "dunno" emoti after my comment because I can't for the life of me figure out why a zealous fan would make things harder for our coaching staff to succeed. Especially since it's clear that they are struggling. But I guess it takes all kinds. Carry on, friend.

I need to know, does this make me a bad fan or not a fan at all? All I can do is laugh as I watch this Purdue game. We are literally inventing stupid ways to play the game, it is pathetic. But my reaction to every error is to laugh out loud. Seems like maybe I'm a bad fan?????

• Fire 1

I need to know, does this make me a bad fan or not a fan at all? All I can do is laugh as I watch this Purdue game. We are literally inventing stupid ways to play the game, it is pathetic. But my reaction to every error is to laugh out loud. Seems like maybe I'm a bad fan?????

If you're a bad fan than I am too.

I may still watch but the university won't see another dime from me. We hired a perennial loser with a track record of mediocre to bad coaching. I have no issues getting beat by a team that is simply better (Mich St, OSU,) but I cannot and will not support bad football. Don't care what it makes me. To be down at all to a TERRIBLE 1-6 Purdue team, I don't care.

It's simple, vote with your wallet.