Losing the Fan Base?

I'm always a fan! I love the game, and NU football has rich traditions that transcend W/L records. There's always gonna be a group of "fire the coach" fans out there that oppose any staff that weren't former NU players or coaches.

As for me, the Huskers have a human resource issue this year. Riley needs to hire (recruit) his own people. It's as if Macy's bought a Walmart and tried to turn it into a new Macy's, using the former Walmart staff. It just won't happen.

Did the former coaching staff forget to recruit QB's, receivers, and RB's, for freak sake?

Did the former coaching staff forget to recruit QB's, receivers, and RB's, for freak sake?

Only the QB part is valid. We have good enough running backs and excellent receivers. Ever hear of Jordan Westerkamp?

Sure, J.W. is a great one--but he didn't come from the last couple of recruiting years. You have to admit it that our talent pool lacks the standouts we had in previous years. We need to do a lot of recruiting, and obtaining those "special" players again will take time. Recruiting top talent really declined after Bill C. was fired.

I guess I'm a bad fan. I want this to turn out badly this year, not for the kids, never would I say that. The kids, in any sport, under any coach or AD, deserve nothing but the best. But, this needs to end at 3-9, so that someone has no choice but to unload Eichorst and his bad decision making, unload Riley and staff, and make a clean break. I'm a bad fan for thinking a second or third year under the Eichorst/Riley regime will lead to worse losses in the future, I'm not talking about on the field losses.

So, I'm a bad fan who sits here every week planning my weekend around Husker football somewhat, but rooting for change. I guess I'm a bad American too, because I want some changes in this country.

I guess I'm a bad fan. I want this to turn out badly this year, not for the kids, never would I say that. The kids, in any sport, under any coach or AD, deserve nothing but the best. But, this needs to end at 3-9, so that someone has no choice but to unload Eichorst and his bad decision making, unload Riley and staff, and make a clean break. I'm a bad fan for thinking a second or third year under the Eichorst/Riley regime will lead to worse losses in the future, I'm not talking about on the field losses.

So, I'm a bad fan who sits here every week planning my weekend around Husker football somewhat, but rooting for change. I guess I'm a bad American too, because I want some changes in this country.

I agree. Makes it tough when you bleed husker red but the only way for change is turmoil. I love the huskers and my life revolves around husker sports. But if something catastrophic has to happen to spark change and it's better for the program than I'm all for it. If Michigan state gets up by an amount that I don't feel we can come back, I hope they pour it on us. Not because I'm not a good fan but for the better of the program. A loss is a loss. close loss does no good, but a throttling rolls heads

I always love the "good fan-bad fan" debate. If being a good fan means going along with every decision and blindly supporting everything that comes along, then count me out. With that logic, I would say that Hitler had quite a following of good fans goose-stepping through Berlin in the 1930's and 1940's. I will sit here next Saturday night and watch, but as an actual informed football fan, i understand that a Nebraska win would probably be pretty much a lucky thing given the current state of the team, and thus a Nebraska win would do more damage to the B1G conference than anything. As a former Ohio State student and an ardent follower of both the B1G and Big 8/XII for many years, at this point the conference would be better off having an undefeated MSU team playing an undefeated OSU team on November 21st, then having that winner playing a possibly undefeated Iowa team in the B1G championship does more for the big picture than having Nebraska upset one of them to finish 4-8 or 5-7.

I'm a bad fan who wants Nebraska to be playing in those games that matter, not going in as a 3-6 sinking ship. I've wanted that since 1976 (remember the Blue-Bonnet Bowl against Texas Tech) and I will want that until I am 76 or older. That's what I want for this program, not a one-win upset job-saving win for Rile-horst that won't mean a hill of crap in the grand scheme of things.

Theres just nothing else for us.

I agree with this to some extent. But if you aren't paying attention to the 2 highly ranked teams in Omaha, you're in denial. Unfortunately, soccer and hockey are the topics at the water cooler in the state's largest city. Thanks Eichorst.

I would think anyone that logs in and posts, negatively or positively, on a message board dedicated to thier team is a true fan.

If you're not a fan (and most likely a hardcore one), you just don't care enough to take the time and effort to talk about them with a group of random people on the internet.

Some people are simply more pessimistic or negative, that doesn't make them less of a fan, just a different one.

^^^This^^^

Only the QB part is valid. We have good enough running backs and excellent receivers. Ever hear of Jordan Westerkamp?

Don't you thing a coaching staff that was getting paid this amount of money could play to the strengths of the team until they get there players on campus. We won nine games the last seven years with a fire breathing dragon as the head coach. Like many have said on this board, Its not the losses its the way we lose the game that has people upset. How can we support the poor decission making by this coaching staff. Nebraska fans are well educated in the game and care about putting a good product on the field. Look back at the fan base, we have cheered on good teams after they have beatten the Huskers. We are life long fans and expect the administration,coaches, and players to be held accountable for there parts. None of the three have done there part this year. This dose not make us bad fans, it makes us fans that want the best for the university and the state of Nebraska.

I'm always a fan! I love the game, and NU football has rich traditions that transcend W/L records. There's always gonna be a group of "fire the coach" fans out there that oppose any staff that weren't former NU players or coaches.

As for me, the Huskers have a human resource issue this year. Riley needs to hire (recruit) his own people. It's as if Macy's bought a Walmart and tried to turn it into a new Macy's, using the former Walmart staff. It just won't happen.

Yeah, if only we were as talented as Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue.

Yeah, if only we were as talented as Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue.

It's not Macy's fault they lost sales to K-Mart, a dollar store, and a guy selling counterfeit watches on the street...

What did Riley do with his "macy's" staff at OSU? These players won 9 last year. This is a coaching issue.