Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

No way that Coach Niumatalolo leave Navy to come to Nebraska. Would never happen.

Peterson left Boise..... Money talks. This noble idea that coaches won't leave is crazy.

A. He takes way too much pride in who he's coaching there. I can send you multiple quotes about the love he has of that program and who he is working with there.

B. No good coach in their right mind would come to Nebraska. Too many disadvantages and no loyalties. I'm talking about Riley; I don't think he's earned anything here. But firing two .700 coaches for "not winning games that matter" means no one is coming around this program who has any long term coaching goals.

Separately, Coach Niamat is an islander. I don't think he'd much like the plains of Nebraska and the related recruiting challenges, even though I think his system would be outstanding in Lincoln.

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

I say get rid of MR now. Miami fired Golden. This is unacceptable. Name an interim HC, and get a great HC as soon as possible. Send SE the door at the same time if he made this hire. I still don't understand how SE is allowed to choose the HC without input from others.

Some of y'all have been saying that since BYU or week 4. Well news flash bud, anyone can say that. What is the game plan after you fire someone? What is the resolution to the solution? What is option B in case your best favorite expert coach says no thanks? Not specifically you, but you and the rest.

WHO IS THE COACH THAT WANTS TO GO WHERE THEY HAVE LESS THAN A FOUR WEEK PATIENCE/TOLERANCE LEVEL (FAN BASE) WAITING FOR HIM???!!! PROVIDE NAMES AS YOUR SOLUTION PLEASE!

AND WHAT DO YOU DO IF HERMAN SAYS "NOT A CHANCE IN HELL"???

AND CALHOUN SAYS "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME, NO WAY!"

AND AFTER 4 OR 5 TOP CHOICES SAY NOPE, ALL YOU HAVE LEFT IS ..............??

I agree 100% I keep having to say what you said over and over. No need to apologize.

I usually have to add that nobody outside of Nebraska or it's alumni gives Nebraska a second thought. Those people include potential coaches. This isn't the coveted head coaching job some people still believe it is. And with each firing we look even less appealing.

And yes, I agree we're stuck.

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

I say get rid of MR now. Miami fired Golden. This is unacceptable. Name an interim HC, and get a great HC as soon as possible. Send SE the door at the same time if he made this hire. I still don't understand how SE is allowed to choose the HC without input from others.

Some of y'all have been saying that since BYU or week 4. Well news flash bud, anyone can say that. What is the game plan after you fire someone? What is the resolution to the solution? What is option B in case your best favorite expert coach says no thanks? Not specifically you, but you and the rest.

WHO IS THE COACH THAT WANTS TO GO WHERE THEY HAVE LESS THAN A FOUR WEEK PATIENCE/TOLERANCE LEVEL (FAN BASE) WAITING FOR HIM???!!! PROVIDE NAMES AS YOUR SOLUTION PLEASE!

Can't a coaching search be like dating women? You know make before break? If you get turned down by everyone that is better than what you have then stick with what you have.

To our fan bases credit we haven't started flying banners. It should be interesting to see what kind of coaches Miami is able to attract.

I think Miami might be a slightly more attractive destination due to the recruits down there.

BTW what do Miami and Nebraska have in common, aside from a history of playing each other? Eichorst as AD.

Can't a coaching search be like dating women? You know make before break? If you get turned down by everyone that is better than what you have then stick with what you have.

To our fan bases credit we haven't started flying banners. It should be interesting to see what kind of coaches Miami is able to attract.

I think Miami might be a slightly more attractive destination due to the recruits down there.

BTW what do Miami and Nebraska have in common, aside from a history of playing each other? Eichorst as AD.

Yeah, and, uh, Miami is 10000000x nicer than Lincoln, especially when you have DIA coaching money.

No way that Coach Niumatalolo leave Navy to come to Nebraska. Would never happen.

Peterson left Boise..... Money talks. This noble idea that coaches won't leave is crazy.

And he turned down a LOT of offers before then. It wasn't money alone that got him away from Boise. Wasn't there some talk about him and Nebraska that he shot down when we had an opening? These guys can make a lot of money anywhere, they aren't just going to come to Nebraska because we write a big check.

Speaking of Boise St, remember that can't-miss coach that came from there, Dan Hawkins?

Yeah, and, uh, Miami is 10000000x nicer than Lincoln, especially when you have DIA coaching money.

Eh, depends what you like. Having been there countless times, I think Miami is a crap hole.

• Fire 1

Eh, depends what you like. Having been there countless times, I think Miami is a crap hole.

Agreed, one of my least favorite places in the country.

My wife and family have lived in both Florida and Nebraska. One of my wife's only memories of Nebraska football before meeting me was having her dad's van broken into 3 times in one night during one of our trips to the Orange Bowl.

I'll never forget my mother in laws reaction when Eichorst signed on as AD. She didn't have one kind word to say about him. I was hoping she was wrong. She hates Miami both the team and the city, in fact her whole side of the family feels that way. They refer to Miami in words and ways that I can't post here. But I stand by my stance that as a coach it would be a more appealing destination. You'd make enough bank to live in a gated community, keeping the horrors of what I've heard of Miami at arms length, and be knee deep in recruits.

I'll never understand how schools like Texas and Miami aren't unstobbable year in and out. The only theory being the that they are teams comprised of great talent but not great teams. Take our first national championship game in 94 as an example, that Miami team had Ray Lewis, Warren Sap and an almost endless list of NFL draft picks but they still lost to a team that was a better TEAM. No one could quantify that Nebraska teams resolve. Sometimes I wonder if we hadn't lost so heartbreakly the year before if that resolve wouldn't have solidafied itself enough to make the 94 team what it was.

Back to the topic of the original post.

If I was to put on my red wig and play AD for awhile I'd give Riley another year.

I have given it a lot of thought and I think you have to stand pat with Riley as coach instead of rolling the dice and picking up someone new.

Phil Steele uses something he calls net close wins and net close losses to somehow combine into all his formulas and rankings. The idea being if a team wins a lot of close games their luck is bound to run out and vice versa. So we we're due for better luck, I can almost guarantee we'll make his most improved list. I know it sucks and everyone is sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches but I don't really see running yet another coaching staff out of town, potentially in the middle of the season as a good idea.

Another year in this offense, more of his type of guys in the system...I also think something's gonna happen that's gonna make things feel a lot less catastrophic before seasons end.

I admit not the most convincing argument. Just my two cents. But considering the options........almost like a "Would you rather" question.

Riley is the rebound guy..we lost a 9 win coach, that I agree had to go, and hired a guy who cant even beat the dwellers of the conference...This sets up perfectly for the next coach who comes in. instant success as you cant do worse than what Riley has done. Whoever the next coach is, he will be looked as a saving grace and breath of fresh air.

Back to the topic of the original post.

If I was to put on my red wig and play AD for awhile I'd give Riley another year.

I have given it a lot of thought and I think you have to stand pat with Riley as coach instead of rolling the dice and picking up someone new.

Phil Steele uses something he calls net close wins and net close losses to somehow combine into all his formulas and rankings. The idea being if a team wins a lot of close games their luck is bound to run out and vice versa. So we we're due for better luck, I can almost guarantee we'll make his most improved list. I know it sucks and everyone is sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches but I don't really see running yet another coaching staff out of town, potentially in the middle of the season as a good idea.

Another year in this offense, more of his type of guys in the system...I also think something's gonna happen that's gonna make things feel a lot less catastrophic before seasons end.

I admit not the most convincing argument. Just my two cents. But considering the options........almost like a "Would you rather" question.

You're fired. :snacks:

For games or to the nicer parts?

With money, it's a beautiful place, if you can handle the heat.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Nebraska basically has two options: Fire the athletic director now, then the coach at the end of the season, as it did in 2007. Or ride this thing out. Those are the options.

Your heart says clean house, right? Start over. You can’t stand another Saturday like this. I don’t blame you one bit.

But what does your head say? Practically speaking, Nebraska has no choice but to endure this disaster for three more weeks. Hope like heck that Riley can make the proper offseason decisions to turn it around in 2016.

That means a significant roster purge. That means a hard look at his closest assistant coaches. That means stricter discipline.

What about Shawn Eichorst? I can’t imagine his email feedback will be “90 percent positive,” as he insisted a few weeks ago. The A.D. is on thinner ice than Riley, no doubt. He better schmooze every booster he can find, millionaire or not.

What about the fan base? Nebraska's national reputation is stained too deep to clean. Memorial Stadium could be a zombie-zone in the second half against Michigan State and Iowa.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mad-chatter-what-now-huskers/article_6e73530a-800e-11e5-9e23-4fde294409e9.html

disappointed030.gif