Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

I say get rid of MR now. Miami fired Golden. This is unacceptable. Name an interim HC, and get a great HC as soon as possible. Send SE the door at the same time if he made this hire. I still don't understand how SE is allowed to choose the HC without input from others.

The difference is this was year 4 I believe under Golden. The length of tenure will always be considered when hiring or firing a coach.

Also, SE is the Athletic Director. I'm pretty sure he has the power to consider just about whoever he wants, and include whoever he wants, in his hiring process.

I'm not saying all this in support of Riley, particularly the Golden part.

If Riley is fired, it will be hard to get a big name hired here. Several candidates that have been mentioned is unrealistic. The only people I see that the fan base could get behind are guys like Frost, Troy Calhoun, Ken Niumatalolo from Navy, etc. We just might have to settle on finding a guy that would be a lower pay grade, why not Lance Leipold? Current HC @ Buffalo. He did lead Wisconsin-Whitewater to 5 Division III championships and runners-up in 2008. Since 2007, Leipold has been the most successful coach statistically than any other coach today.

• Reached 100 victories faster than any coach in NCAA history. The previous mark of 108 games was set by Gil Dobie in 1921
  • Won NCAA Division III National Football Championship in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014 and were runners-up in 2008
  • A .921 career winning percentage prior to accepting HC job at Buffalo
  • Boasts a 34-1 career Division III playoff record

He is known as a rising star in the coaching ranks with an overall record of 113-10.

Coaching career:

1987 Wisconsin-Whitewater (QB)

1988 Wisconsin-Whitewater (WR)

1989 Doane (assistant)

1990 Wisconsin-Whitewater (assistant)

1991-1993 Wisconsin (GA)

1994-2000 Nebraska-Omaha (assistant)

2001-2003 Nebraska (assistant)

2004-2006 Nebraska-Omaha (AHC/OC)

2007-2014 Wisconsin-Whitewater (HC)

2015 Buffalo (HC)

Sorry but I disagree 100% with this. Excuses are for losers.

If Riley is fired, it will be hard to get a big name hired here. Several candidates that have been mentioned is unrealistic. The only people I see that the fan base could get behind are guys like Frost, Troy Calhoun, Ken Niumatalolo from Navy, etc. We just might have to settle on finding a guy that would be a lower pay grade, why not Lance Leipold? Current HC @ Buffalo. He did lead Wisconsin-Whitewater to 5 Division III championships and runners-up in 2008. Since 2007, Leipold has been the most successful coach statistically than any other coach today.

• Reached 100 victories faster than any coach in NCAA history. The previous mark of 108 games was set by Gil Dobie in 1921
  • Won NCAA Division III National Football Championship in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014 and were runners-up in 2008
  • A .921 career winning percentage prior to accepting HC job at Buffalo
  • Boasts a 34-1 career Division III playoff record

He is known as a rising star in the coaching ranks with an overall record of 113-10.

Coaching career:

1987 Wisconsin-Whitewater (QB)

1988 Wisconsin-Whitewater (WR)

1989 Doane (assistant)

1990 Wisconsin-Whitewater (assistant)

1991-1993 Wisconsin (GA)

1994-2000 Nebraska-Omaha (assistant)

2001-2003 Nebraska (assistant)

2004-2006 Nebraska-Omaha (AHC/OC)

2007-2014 Wisconsin-Whitewater (HC)

2015 Buffalo (HC)

Sorry but I disagree 100% with this

I know you do but seriously, there have been candidates rumored throughout the years what if they all turned the job down? I mean, do you really see the university paying $320,000 a month for two coaches over the next couple of years in addition to a potential 3rd head coach? Next week when we're blown out at home, it will be the point of no return.

*edit* I've noticed the guys in your signature. Mark Richt is on the hot seat and may be out at UGA, Herman is likely going to get snagged by another perennial program (USC), and Tressel has absolutely no interest in returning to coach football unless somebody can provide deep statistical analysis of our financial resources, I'm not sure we can get a premiere coach to come to the program right now. Like I said, maybe we've tried in the past and failed maybe nobody looks at Nebraska the same anymore even Urban Meyer said he would never coach here because of fan expectations so while I agree that Nebraska needs to get a hot commodity, the probability of that happening is rather low.

The disappointment is so high that I think most people wouldn't shake their heads at us for firing Riley. I honestly believe it. Sure, we might face some national ridicule over it but really, is it worth letting this crash course continue?

I think more people would shake their head at us if we don't fire him.

Nationally we're obviously still relevant because we're being mocked by every sports network there is and on social media by not only our own fans but other teams' fan bases as well. We're at an all-time low right now and I don't see the point in "riding this out" as Dirk Chatelain suggests.

Mark Richt is on the hot seat and may be out at UG

Which is exactly why we should snag him.

I doubt Herman will be at USC; his offensive scheme doesn't fit their system.

Yes there have been names mentioned over the years, including when Riley was hired... but Eichorst himself said that Riley was his first and only choice.

Mike Riley has already lost to an Interim Head coach, a coach that was fired mid season and now just got beat by a coach that has only won 2 conference games coming into the game today and now we have the worst start since 1958(?)

This has been a magnificent hire and we are righting the ship boys

• Fire 1

$2.25M buyout for Herman's contract.

Herman buyout $2.25M

New Nebraska contract $4M base salary over 4 years, $16M

Add in what Pelini is owed which equates to $7.65M paid monthly $150,000

Add in what Riley would be owed $8.16M paid monthly $170,000

That's $34 million total, $15.81M of it being paid out to two former coaches.

Mark Richt is on the hot seat and may be out at UGA

Which is exactly why we should snag him.

I doubt Herman will be at USC; his offensive scheme doesn't fit their system.

Yes there have been names mentioned over the years, including when Riley was hired... but Eichorst himself said that Riley was his first and only choice.

That is what annoyed me. SE didn't even try to get a decent coach.

Both the heart and head say to clean house. Run Eichorst out of Nebraska immediately. The coach is 62 years old. We will be starting over in a matter of 5ish years anyways because there is no other coach on this staff capable of head coaching duties. Fire Eichorst, hire Alberts and put this staff on notice.

Then when you are done with that, go through each and every player on this team and decide if they are worthy of a scholarship or not. I will say it, some of these players shouldn't be here, and it has nothing to do with talent. Just ask Charlie Strong.