Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Nebraska basically has two options: Fire the athletic director now, then the coach at the end of the season, as it did in 2007. Or ride this thing out. Those are the options.

Your heart says clean house, right? Start over. You can’t stand another Saturday like this. I don’t blame you one bit.

But what does your head say? Practically speaking, Nebraska has no choice but to endure this disaster for three more weeks. Hope like heck that Riley can make the proper offseason decisions to turn it around in 2016.

That means a significant roster purge. That means a hard look at his closest assistant coaches. That means stricter discipline.

What about Shawn Eichorst? I can’t imagine his email feedback will be “90 percent positive,” as he insisted a few weeks ago. The A.D. is on thinner ice than Riley, no doubt. He better schmooze every booster he can find, millionaire or not.

What about the fan base? Nebraska's national reputation is stained too deep to clean. Memorial Stadium could be a zombie-zone in the second half against Michigan State and Iowa.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mad-chatter-what-now-huskers/article_6e73530a-800e-11e5-9e23-4fde294409e9.html

If Riley is canned, who are the options for replacing him? Because firing a guy is just one part of a solution. I would like names of candidates.

Just to name a few that have been mentioned in the past, in no particular order with (current job):

• Tom Herman (Houston HC)
  • Troy Calhoun (Air Force HC)
  • Scott Frost (Oregon OC)

Thank you Duke. There must be more options than that. Possibly better too. Those three do not sound like solutions. :hmmph

If Riley is canned, who are the options for replacing him? Because firing a guy is just one part of a solution. I would like names of candidates.

Just to name a few that have been mentioned in the past, in no particular order with (current job):

• Tom Herman (Houston HC)
  • Troy Calhoun (Air Force HC)
  • Scott Frost (Oregon OC)

Thank you Duke. There must be more options than that. Possibly better too. Those three do not sound like solutions. :hmmph

You're welcome. And yes, there are MANY more options out there, some better than others. Those have just been the three most common that have been mentioned on this board in the past year.

Tom Herman from Houston name has popped up on Twitter. I know next to nothing about this guy including his resume.

OK thanks. Well that's one name. And I'm pretty sure Houston is not playing power football or running the ball much. He's a guy that most would have to dig up info on.

How about some more names HB. Some proven coaches that will be great candidates? Isn't that what Husker fans want? Someone most folks won't have to research and google?

That's what happens when you assume things. Houston is 9th in the nation in rushing yards, 14th in attempts. Also Enhance, you must have completely ignored last season to not know Herman's offense led Ohio St. to a national championship.

Ok thanks. Not assuming anything. I just don't follow Houston Cougar football. But that does sound pretty good.

Tom Herman from Houston name has popped up on Twitter. I know next to nothing about this guy including his resume.

OK thanks. Well that's one name. And I'm pretty sure Houston is not playing power football or running the ball much. He's a guy that most would have to dig up info on.

How about some more names HB. Some proven coaches that will be great candidates? Isn't that what Husker fans want? Someone most folks won't have to research and google?

Runs a "smash mouth spread". Inside zone and power run. Has 2 backs over 600 yards so far. Almost 700 a piece. Was OC for Urban. Has worked for some good coaches.

Frost

Calhoun

Shaw

Monken

To name a few

Again, did not know he came from Urban and OSU. I think a smash mouth spread sounds good.

1. Twitter is a great source

2. Is there room for me under that rock where you live?

Relax, man. I offered no opinion. Someone wanted a name and I gave one.

Yeah, easy there bud (BigRed_inSD). It was me. I asked a question and Enhance provided a name (thank you Enhance). I'm the one who lives under a rock. I'm in Texas. And believe it or not, Houston football is not near the top of the radar out here when it comes to football talk.

Tom Herman runs a Power Spread offense. It is a smash mouth spread offense and is predicated on the run game first. Just look at how bad Ohio State is doing offensively now that Herman is gone.

They didn't do to badly once they put Barrett back in, but now he's gone a game for his DUI, but yes I'm putting a good percentage of my eggs in his basket

I don't know that I have been a huge Riley fan. His hiring, quite frankly, puzzled me. I decided to give him a fair chance to prove his worth. I'd support him while he made the program his own.

I understand folks calling for his head. The product he is putting on the field is terrible. I don't support his firing, but I'd support what ever the University decided.

I wonder though if he is let go this year, or even next year, how can the administration tell a prospective coach that there will be patience in allowing him to come in and get this program to the championship level? And what coach would believe it, given the track record of the University?

• Fire 1

This has been posted before, but it's a great read on Air Force's Troy Calhoun:

Why Air Force's Troy Calhoun is the nation's most overlooked coach: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mountain-west-conference-air-force-academy-falcons-troy-calhoun-overlooked-072715

"They're actually a multiple-formation, multiple-concept offense," said New Mexico head coach Bob Davie, a long-time college defensive coordinator. "They're not Navy or Georgia Tech, where they're in double-slot (formation) a majority of the time. The thing that they do great is that it's too elementary to say they're just a triple option team. You have to spend a majority of your week preparing for triple option and they may not run any triple option against you. They have a bank of offenses. In some ways it reminds me of Nebraska when Tom Osborne was winning all those championships. It's depending on the quarterback and their personnel, and they can get in and out of so many different things. "I played against Nebraska when I was at Texas A&M and Notre Dame, and no one did more than Nebraska And you had to prepare for it all. They could dust off different packages even between series."

I am not sure what to think about firing the guy after one year. I go back and forth on the idea. Does it completely 'scare' off future coaches? What happens with the perception of the program after firing Solich and Pelini after some success....record wise? Nebraska is not a huge draw anymore so I feel trying to lure a coach that is already successful at another major program is not an option. It is going to have to be an up and coming type guy....it just really, really sucks that the program in this position.

I do feel SE needs to be fired first. He put the program in this mess and really screwed the pooch!

I don't know that I have been a huge Riley fan. His hiring, quite frankly, puzzled me. I decided to give him a fair chance to prove his worth. I'd support him while he made the program his own.

I understand folks calling for his head. The product he is putting on the field is terrible. I don't support his firing, but I'd support what ever the University decided.

I wonder though if he is let go this year, or even next year, how can the administration tell a prospective coach that there will be patience in allowing him to come in and get this program to the championship level? And what coach would believe it, given the track record of the University?

I think there would be patience, or more or it, had the Huskers been sitting on, say, a 6-3 record with the close losses, and a win over Purdue.

But, to me, this game kind of summed up the cluelessness of the staff. They were playing the worst rush defense in the conference and one of the worst in the country. Riley had to go with a QB who had thrown 18 career passes, yet, Fyfe threw 22 times in the first half. This did not add up to a "let's do what we need to do to win" type of mentality.