Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

Tom Herman from Houston name has popped up on Twitter. I know next to nothing about this guy including his resume.

OK thanks. Well that's one name. And I'm pretty sure Houston is not playing power football or running the ball much. He's a guy that most would have to dig up info on.

How about some more names HB. Some proven coaches that will be great candidates? Isn't that what Husker fans want? Someone most folks won't have to research and google?

That's what happens when you assume things. Houston is 9th in the nation in rushing yards, 14th in attempts. Also Enhance, you must have completely ignored last season to not know Herman's offense led Ohio St. to a national championship.

I feel pretty confident saying the average college football fan (myself) does not know much about Tom Herman. I doubt most of our fan base knows much either. And by much of our fan base yes, I'm excluding the hardcore minority that frequents message boards.

• Fire 1

Tom Herman runs a Power Spread offense. It is a smash mouth spread offense and is predicated on the run game first. Just look at how bad Ohio State is doing offensively now that Herman is gone.

Here is a brief breakdown of Herman's Power Spread http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/16/9329945/tom-herman-houston-cougars-football-offense-defense

I read this article earlier. Immediately the paragraph that talks about him learning Power-I tells you he knows power wins football. Bill Parcells is known for always saying, "Power wins football. Power wins football, wearing you down." I mean, to this day its a known fact that power football still works. It used to be Nebraska's identity and it needs to be resurrected and this goes for both sides of the ball. If you have a tough as hell offense beating down on your one's you know damn well your starting defense is going to be physically tough. The 90's teams hated practice. They hated it. The games themselves were easier to them. We need to get back to that mentality.

This has been posted before, but it's a great read on Air Force's Troy Calhoun:

Why Air Force's Troy Calhoun is the nation's most overlooked coach: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mountain-west-conference-air-force-academy-falcons-troy-calhoun-overlooked-072715

"They're actually a multiple-formation, multiple-concept offense," said New Mexico head coach Bob Davie, a long-time college defensive coordinator. "They're not Navy or Georgia Tech, where they're in double-slot (formation) a majority of the time. The thing that they do great is that it's too elementary to say they're just a triple option team. You have to spend a majority of your week preparing for triple option and they may not run any triple option against you. They have a bank of offenses. In some ways it reminds me of Nebraska when Tom Osborne was winning all those championships. It's depending on the quarterback and their personnel, and they can get in and out of so many different things. "I played against Nebraska when I was at Texas A&M and Notre Dame, and no one did more than Nebraska And you had to prepare for it all. They could dust off different packages even between series."

Tom Osborne once said if he was coaching today he would run a Power Spread Option similar to what Urban Meyer runs at Ohio State and of course the same concept with Tom Herman now.

Steven M. Sipple: Florida offense captures Osborne’s fancy TOM OSBORNE SAID LAST WEEK HE’S A LONGTIME ADMIRER OF FLORIDA COACH URBAN MEYER AND MEYER’S STYLE OF OFFENSE.

October 29, 2007 12:00 am

Tom Osborne said last week he’s a longtime admirer of Florida coach Urban Meyer and Meyer’s style of offense.

Now, before we go further, Osborne insisted he’s not out combing the countryside in search of possible replacements for slumping Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan. Meyer, by the way, probably wouldn’t be a realistic candidate.

But perhaps Osborne, the Huskers’ interim athletic director, offered a clue as to the style of offense he would prefer should he make a change at season’s end. At any rate, one could see why Meyer’s offense captures Osborne’s fancy.

“What Urban has done is pretty much combined an option style with being able to throw the football,” said ESPN and ABC college football analyst Bob Davie, a defensive assistant at Texas A&M in 1988 when A&M opened the season with a 23-14 loss to Nebraska in the Kickoff Classic.

“Obviously, Nebraska ran option and power football at the time. But where they killed you was the play-action passes to the tight ends. We spent all summer trying to get ready for that stuff.”

Nebraska, of course, now uses a West Coast system in which the quarterback essentially runs only if it’s for his life as the pocket collapses around him. The West Coast offense above all requires a solid passer. It’s more of a two-back set, which makes it easier to keep defenders grouped in a little closer to the line of scrimmage.

As a result, there are fewer opportunities for big plays using quarterback scrambles and designed QB runs, though there figures to be a lot more yard-producing scrambles if Joe Ganz gets extensive time in place of injured Sam Keller. Come to think of it, Callahan has been known to install a few designed running plays for the shifty Ganz.

“I’m not locked into any one offensive system or defensive system,” Osborne said. “You can make most anything work if you have the right people. I think the main thing is coaches have to coach with what they’re familiar and comfortable with.”

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/steven-m-sipple-florida-offense-captures-osborne-s-fancy/article_a36b5411-77d4-5e6e-aeb8-0955bcf8337d.html

Tom Herman from Houston name has popped up on Twitter. I know next to nothing about this guy including his resume.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/16/9329945/tom-herman-houston-cougars-football-offense-defense

Good article. Talks about getting a staff together offensive and defensive philosophy, coaching stops and experience.

Herman seems like a good fit as far as offensive and defensive philosophy and probably would have utilized Tommy's skills better this year. How the heck did we not consider Herman last year? I can kind of see it from Eichorst's standpoint taking heat hiring a first time head coach to replace Pelini. OSU's offense was always balanced. Every time I'd check their stats after a game running and passing yards were almost equal. It looks like he's doing the same at UH from the stats posted. It seems he likes the recruiting in Texas so would he feel like he would struggle recruiting at Nebraska?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/16/9329945/tom-herman-houston-cougars-football-offense-defense

Good article. Talks about getting a staff together offensive and defensive philosophy, coaching stops and experience.

Herman seems like a good fit as far as offensive and defensive philosophy and probably would have utilized Tommy's skills better this year. How the heck did we not consider Herman last year? I can kind of see it from Eichorst's standpoint taking heat hiring a first time head coach to replace Pelini. OSU's offense was always balanced. Every time I'd check their stats after a game running and passing yards were almost equal. It looks like he's doing the same at UH from the stats posted. It seems he likes the recruiting in Texas so would he feel like he would struggle recruiting at Nebraska?

Having the ties to the programs he has been in before would have made sense...at least to me. I am still baffled how the hell MR was hired by the moronic AD!

Having the ties to the programs he has been in before would have made sense...at least to me. I am still baffled how the hell MR was hired by the moronic AD!

You're right. The hiring made little sense in December, it makes less with each passing week. By Thanksgiving this year it will make no sense at all.

Quite the decision. I think you mobilize and fire Eichorst. Then fire Riley if they don't show some life soon. Strange for me to say but this really isn't working out and I don't see enough upside in keeping Riley.

If he was recruiting like Callahan I could buy it but he's not.

It would be really dumb to fire the AD and not the coach at this point. If you do something, it has to be both. The last you want to do is add anymore pressure to the coach by letting go the AD that brought him here. That's the kiss of death for any major college football coach.

Right, I wasn't thinking. Hiring a B1G assistant as HC at another B1G program is something that probably isn't done.

I like that he went after proven coordinators on both sides of the ball. Strong Texas ties as well as B1G and BugXII country.

I like that he went after proven coordinators on both sides of the ball. Strong Texas ties as well as B1G and BugXII country.

He may want to put in more than a year at UH and we may want to give Riley another year or two. Maybe things will come together. I didn't see in the article who is OC is and what his background is. I wonder if Frost's experience and expressed interest in adding some power run into Oregon's spread would complement Herman's offense. OK, now I'm just dreaming.

I think RIley is at a disadvantage replacing a winning coach with his career record when trying to get buyin from the players. That's not an excuse for the players but is the reason I'm willing to give Riley some more time. When you have someone with Herman's experience, any attitude problems from the players are on the players and a coach can more easily deal with them.

When the levee breaks, you do something about it. You don't sit around and wait and hope things will get better on their own.

And as far a Nebraska football goes, the levee has broken, on Hurricane Katrina levels.

Riley has lost this team, and once that happens, it's nearly impossible for a coach to get them back. The spirit of this team has been amputated, and the only way to revive it is through CHANGE.

Everyone knows that I'm a huge fan of Mark Richt and Jim Tressel, but the more I read about Herman, the more I like him.