Chatelain: What now, Huskers?

Saunders

You know I am not a huge Dirk fan, but at this point he is right. Does anyone think MR might say at the end of the season, " I am not up to this" and he will resign if they give him a decent buy out. The fire isn't there, he is just not up to it. Retire hang out with the grand kids and call it a bad dream.

Then Fire SE that lawyer prick

Something just doesn't sit well with me in terms of firing Riley. I don't know how much stock to put into the concerns that firing a coach after year one means we won't be able to get a good coach. And if you fire the AD, does that, in turn, make it easier to lure a coach here?

Furthermore, I don't know what the contract situation is like here, but we're still paying Bo. We probably still would have to pay Riley a buyout. And even though we're one of the more profitable athletic departments in the country, I'm curious just how much financial blow we can handle if we're continuing to fire our highest paid coaches.

We're not a good situation. Part of me says fire everyone, the other part of me wonders if that really is the best option for the university right now.

A $1 million buyout is part of Mike Riley's contract as Nebraska head football coach.

Details of the five-year contract were obtained Wednesday.

Riley's base salary is set at $2.7 million, and will increase by $100,000 increments to $3.1 million over the course of five years.

If Riley takes another coaching job, Nebraska would be owed $1 million. Bo Pelini's buyout was $250,000.

If terminated, Riley will be guaranteed a monthly payment of $170,000 through the term of his contract (Pelini will get $150,000). Both amounts would be reduced should the coach find another job.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/riley-contract-includes-million-buyout/article_baf3a9d7-97c6-52aa-af24-96ec7457b6ec.html

Don't Riley and Eichorst have the same agent?

I don't see a point in giving Riley a pass even if he cleans house. He's the problem. These are "his guys." He hired them and he's not known to fire assistants. Continuity is great when your program is winning.

I kind of agree, I don't really buy into the idea of purging assistants and keeping the head man. He's the Captain, it's his ship. If you want wholesale changes, why not just get rid of the hand man too?

We have to. I don't think Eichorst will be fired by Perlman unless he is put under some serious pressure from the big wigs but Eichorst ultimately can fire Riley and save face. The question is if he will do that. Now, if he does, he has justification. The record speaks for itself. I think most fans would be forgiving of Shawn if he would man up and apologize for the poor results of the football team and that he will be looking for a coach who has a proven record of winning. That characteristic alone should be enough for us to fork out the dough. If Riley is going to be fired, it needs to be done right now so we can get a guy in here early to hit the road recruiting otherwise we risk damaging the class with a late run again. We need a splash hire or a coach who is made at a mid-major program that will immediately grab the attention of high school athletes.

Tom Herman from Houston name has popped up on Twitter. I know next to nothing about this guy including his resume.

OK thanks. Well that's one name. And I'm pretty sure Houston is not playing power football or running the ball much. He's a guy that most would have to dig up info on.

How about some more names HB. Some proven coaches that will be great candidates? Isn't that what Husker fans want? Someone most folks won't have to research and google?

I don't know what kind of job Eichhorst has done as the AD. I think his method of hiring Riley was poor and his judgement bad. Perlman should know if he needs to leave Nebraska with a new AD in place. Perlman is the head of the Univerisity and not a football expert. He should not get a lot of blame for this season but he should be thinking about the future.

Someone {who???} needs to takek Riley out behind the barn and beat him up around the head to get some fire in him. Some assistant coaches need to go and Riley needs to make some changes in himself to turn the this Titanic around.

Its too early for firing another head coach. We should not have hired him but we did. Give him another year to show he identify the problem and make some immprovements. He cannot continue with a pro style offense here and his defensive coordinator is not up to the task. The defensive line play is better and the linebacker play seems to be improved against the run. Pass defense is very very bad. Riley needs to act and that means firing a friend. If he won't, then Riley needs to go too.

The offense needs to be changed. They should adopt Osborne's offensive philosophy (video) provided on one of the other threads. The only change would be to add some more passing to make sure we can recruit good receivers. We need to a run dominated game in the first half (65-35 ratio) and then run a clock killing run offense in the second half (85-15 ratio). The run heavy offense will get defenses tweaked to stop the run and dare you to pass like the Osborne and Solich years. Passing is a way to stop the defenses from crowding the box and nice to have when playing the Top 20 teams.

If we have a great kicking game and stop makingg dumb penalities, we will be back in the national spollight soon.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Nebraska basically has two options: Fire the athletic director now, then the coach at the end of the season, as it did in 2007. Or ride this thing out. Those are the options.

Your heart says clean house, right? Start over. You can’t stand another Saturday like this. I don’t blame you one bit.

But what does your head say? Practically speaking, Nebraska has no choice but to endure this disaster for three more weeks. Hope like heck that Riley can make the proper offseason decisions to turn it around in 2016.

That means a significant roster purge. That means a hard look at his closest assistant coaches. That means stricter discipline.

What about Shawn Eichorst? I can’t imagine his email feedback will be “90 percent positive,” as he insisted a few weeks ago. The A.D. is on thinner ice than Riley, no doubt. He better schmooze every booster he can find, millionaire or not.

What about the fan base? Nebraska's national reputation is stained too deep to clean. Memorial Stadium could be a zombie-zone in the second half against Michigan State and Iowa.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mad-chatter-what-now-huskers/article_6e73530a-800e-11e5-9e23-4fde294409e9.html

If Riley is canned, who are the options for replacing him? Because firing a guy is just one part of a solution. I would like names of candidates.

Just to name a few that have been mentioned in the past, in no particular order with (current job):

• Tom Herman (Houston HC)
  • Troy Calhoun (Air Force HC)
  • Scott Frost (Oregon OC)

Tom Herman from Houston name has popped up on Twitter. I know next to nothing about this guy including his resume.

OK thanks. Well that's one name. And I'm pretty sure Houston is not playing power football or running the ball much. He's a guy that most would have to dig up info on.

How about some more names HB. Some proven coaches that will be great candidates? Isn't that what Husker fans want? Someone most folks won't have to research and google?

Houston Cougars Football Team Stats:

Passing Yards 269.6 ranked 30th in NCAA

Rushing Yards 291.66 ranked 6th in NCAA

Points for 47.04 ranked 4th in NCAA

Points Against 19.72 ranked 28th in NCAA

1. Twitter is a great source

2. Is there room for me under that rock where you live?

Relax, man. I offered no opinion. Someone wanted a name and I gave one.

That's what happens when you assume things. Houston is 9th in the nation in rushing yards, 14th in attempts. Also Enhance, you must have completely ignored last season to not know Herman's offense led Ohio St. to a national championship.

Runs a "smash mouth spread". Inside zone and power run. Has 2 backs over 600 yards so far. Almost 700 a piece. Was OC for Urban. Has worked for some good coaches.

Frost

Calhoun

Shaw

Monken

To name a few