Mike Leach, Washington State

skersfan

Mike Leach interview at halftime. Priceless.

I think we compare more to Texas. Charlie Strong has been working through some poor attitude issues for a while now and still hasn't turned them around. When people are saying the players that gave the best effort today were the younger players, I'd say we have some issues. Riley's approach to handling things are different from Strong and might be preferable. Strong probably alienated some of the younger players by cleaning out some of their buddies and created some lingering issues. When you know there are player problems I don't think it's right to demand firing a coach. I think 3 years is enough time based on what we have seen so far. We already suspect that the current staff cannot coach a run game which is antithetical to what we know is needed at Nebraska (balance in my opinion). Due to horrible blocking we cannot declare that this staff doesn't want to run more. They say they do and I believe them. Can they? Time will tell. Defensively, I think Banker might have the correct scheme which makes sense for the B1G. A couple of factors- learning new scheme and player talent/effort make it difficult to say that it won't work. We went through the same thing with Bo's defense. It worked in the Big 12 and then we saw a drop off when we moved to the B1G. It took several blowout record setting losses to realize that Bo's philosophy was to stop the pass first and that he wasn't willing to make adjustments. After the first blowout we didn't all demand Bo be fired.

We compare more to Tennessee. I've been hesitant to do a thread on that for a few years now. Both are 800 win programs that have won conference championships going way back in time. And both programs have had many years consistently representing as a top 10 program only to fall away and never to return no matter how close they get some years.

Both storied blue blood programs that have nothing going for them other than history. Hurts to say this.

No team has won more SEC games (EVER) than Tennessee - other than Alabama. That's SEC football right there. And where are the Vols and what happened to them (since they fired Phil Fulmer)?

No one cares (among college football fanatics) because they have become irrelevant and remained that way for 15+ years. Welcome to the club, dear ol' Nebraska U..... (and that sucks!!!!!)

• Fire 3

If this staff is fired, what talented top coach would come here? I think we would have to take a chance on another up and coming DC or OC.

I just do not see a top level coach coming here, after the firing of Solich and Bozo. Then giving Riley one year, just not going to get anyone interested in that type of pressure. No matter the money we might try to throw at them. Top coaches want talent and a recruiting base. Hard to find one that would look at Nebraska as a front runner with so many jobs open this year.

Never felt the wheels were coming off when Bo Pelini was head coach, Felt that we were stuck in the mud. We needed a head coach who could help us get over the hump/funk of always at 9 wins never more than that.

It's safe to say Riley has taken us in reverse this season, but sometimes you need to go in reverse in order to move forward past the mud. Time will tell whether or not Riley can get us throw the mud or if someone else needs to take the wheel.

That being said, expect a 3 - 9 season Husker fans.

Yes and there has been talk of him being on the hot seat this year. Portland State loss was the game I think. I met him the year he beat us 70-10, heck of a nice guy. A very different sense of humor for sure. It took time for him to get what he needed and is still working on it. But he said yesterday he thought they would make a great game of it. They sure did.

Hopefully our staff can do the same.

I think the comparison is fair. Bo left this place a disaster and it's going to take some time.

I don't think Bo left this big of a disaster...he may of left an iceberg or two in Riley's path, but Riley is the one who keeps circling the ship back and hitting it again, over and over.

But let's watch it play out, soap operas are addictive.

If this staff is fired, what talented top coach would come here? I think we would have to take a chance on another up and coming DC or OC.

I just do not see a top level coach coming here, after the firing of Solich and Bozo. Then giving Riley one year, just not going to get anyone interested in that type of pressure. No matter the money we might try to throw at them. Top coaches want talent and a recruiting base. Hard to find one that would look at Nebraska as a front runner with so many jobs open this year.

Mark Richt

I think the comparison is fair. Bo left this place a disaster and it's going to take some time.

WSU has been getting worked for years. I like Leach and I'm glad he is doing well.

I'd hardly classify what Bo left us as a "disaster" -- this was a 9-win team a year ago, and the majority of fans I've encountered in the preseason felt we'd be at least that good this year.

I don't think Bo left this big of a disaster...he may of left an iceberg or two in Riley's path, but Riley is the one who keeps circling the ship back and hitting it again, over and over.

But let's watch it play out, soap operas are addictive.

That iceberg line is funny