Sipple puts the talent argument to bed

I think i saw a tweet yesterday by someone that were only suiting up 57 scholly players on the 105 tonight. If this is true, does anyone with any roster sense understand how embarrasingly abysmal that is?

But yeah. Lots of talent.

Anyone with roster sense would realize that the vast majority of teams have at least 28 scholarship players that are redshirting or injured.

redshirts still suit up for the 105 for home games.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a 105 for home games. We can suit up as many or little as we want. The 105 is only for fall camp before school starts.

And the guys redshirting don't suit up. I've seen it with my own eyes at the home games this year.

Another way a person can evaluate relative talent of teams (virtually any judgement has to be subjective and 'eye' test test once basic stats and numbers are crunched) is to ask yourself a simple question:

Could a given player start for the opposing team in his position or other teams in the conference etc?

In my view, we do not have many players that appear to be better than their counterparts on the teams we have played this year. In Big Ten, I don't think we have many players that are clearly superior to the players on the other teams. Westy is better than half the receivers in the league surely but he make lack pure size and speed to be selected as first team all conference. He could make hon mention surely. I think our punter would be second or third team all conference. Tommy Armstrong on his best game is surely in the better half of the conference as a QB (that is saying something for Nebraska to have a QB in the better group as a 'passer'). But I don't think he gets honors at year end. After those guys, I am not sure I see any. We have D linement who are playing pretty well but NOT all conference in my view. Our run stopping is good enough but no sacks. Injuries, etc. have really dogged this team and kept the balance and development down to a very subpar level.

Collins would start on every team in the B10. Lewis is definitely among top half of tackles. Many others too.

I think Collins would start on perhaps half the teams but would not likely make the starting line ups of Michigan, Mich State, and certainly Ohio state. I think he gets second team honors or certainly hon. mention. Not first team. There are at least ten very talented DTs in the conference.

I don't think Lewis should be starting at Nebraska. It was alarming when a mediocre tackle from Colorado transfers to Nebraska and suddenly is our 'best' linement, it is a strong indication that our O line is lacking talent. I doubt Lewis is even hon mention all conference. Again, I don't think he is our best linement and we don't have any that appear anywhere near hon mention all conference.

The talent arguement is valid in spots or by position. O-line is not talented, or at least doesn't have 2 deep talent. CB's are not talented enough for big time football. The only way that they have been used is for bend but don't break pass coverage in the past. Now they are being asked to man up, and can't do it.

Linebackers are thin, and quite frankly not very good. Some bright spots here and there, but no dominate player in that group.

Wr's are of more talent than most years, but not blow away/blow by talent. Possesion receivers are great, but don't bust a defense wide open.

QB' position is not deep, but Armstrong isn't killing the team with 4 or 5 turnovers every game. Even though that interception return by NW turned momentum in NW's favor.

Before the season started, the comments were," We should have enough or better talent than most in the west Division", I take that as a slap in the face comment. Do we have more talent than Iowa or Wisky right now? I don't think so. They have dominant line play on both sides of the ball. Thats where is starts. Just watch LSU and BAma tonight in spots and see the specimens on the lines.

In short, we don't have the talent to compete against very talented teams. We don't have depth, and we don't have speed.

This is Riley's first season, and been here since January last year. Spring practice and fall practice is his only time here to build up talent. Building talent on a roster takes longer than 8 months. You develop talent over a couple of seasons. That is why we redshirt.

Stopped at bolded because how would you even know?

Boom

The Missouri Valley Conference isn't that easy to win. It has several teams that would destroy most FBS teams.

Hyperbolize much?
There are 128 FBS teams. I'd say between Illinois State, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State they would be favored to win against at least 103 of those teams.

It's not hyperbole if it's true.

SDSU beat Kansas by 3.

You also said "destroy", not favored. And no chance those teams are favored over 103 FBS teams. Utterly laughable.

So because one game was close its utterly laughable? Nebraska would have multiple conference losses in the MVC. And that's a fact.
You keep moving the goalposts after every one of my posts. It's ok to admit you are wrong.

And it's not a fact that NU would have multiple losses in the MVC. That is called an opinion.

I never moved the goalposts. You can't bring up one game and wave off th argument.

There are schools in the MVC that would destroy most FBS schools. I stand by that. I am ashamed but I stand by my statement that Nebraska would have multiple losses.

Is that better Red?

The talent arguement is valid in spots or by position. O-line is not talented, or at least doesn't have 2 deep talent. CB's are not talented enough for big time football. The only way that they have been used is for bend but don't break pass coverage in the past. Now they are being asked to man up, and can't do it.

Linebackers are thin, and quite frankly not very good. Some bright spots here and there, but no dominate player in that group.

Wr's are of more talent than most years, but not blow away/blow by talent. Possesion receivers are great, but don't bust a defense wide open.

QB' position is not deep, but Armstrong isn't killing the team with 4 or 5 turnovers every game. Even though that interception return by NW turned momentum in NW's favor.

Before the season started, the comments were," We should have enough or better talent than most in the west Division", I take that as a slap in the face comment. Do we have more talent than Iowa or Wisky right now? I don't think so. They have dominant line play on both sides of the ball. Thats where is starts. Just watch LSU and BAma tonight in spots and see the specimens on the lines.

In short, we don't have the talent to compete against very talented teams. We don't have depth, and we don't have speed.

This is Riley's first season, and been here since January last year. Spring practice and fall practice is his only time here to build up talent. Building talent on a roster takes longer than 8 months. You develop talent over a couple of seasons. That is why we redshirt.

Stopped at bolded because how would you even know?

Boom

Boom, how would you know it's not. :facepalm:

Question: do you consider MSU 2nd tier talent wise?

2nd tier, as in borderline Top 25? No. MSU is probably the realistic goal for what kind of program we want to be.

That said, do they have talent befitting your typical Top 10, undefeated team? I'd say ... probably not. Might be closer to Top 20, this year. This is not quite so formidable a Spartans team as they have been on occasion in recent years.

This is some plucky play from the Huskers tonight. The Spartans are vulnerable. Nebraska smells it.