Reilly out of bounds

Husker66

Because the boundaries of the field have to be enforced in some way. Take an absurd example. If the rule didn't exist. In on the field as a wideour at the snap. I take of down field but decide to run into the sideline to camouflage myself so to speAK then come back in to make a play. If you were allowed to leave and return the field without consequence that could and probably would happen.

Yeah, and I'm sure that has happened that brought on the rule, but so what if the guy started in bounds and decided to go hide? They can't see him do that? Still seems unlikely to me that a coach would expect to gain from his guy hiding on the sideline. Another change would be to say the player can step out but not be completely off the field which would make more sense.

In all seriousness, I love the fact that you would be OK with people randomly entering and exiting the field of play as they pleased. I genuinely mean that. You must be the most laid back guy on earth. :)

Reilly wasn't watching what he was doing and got away with one. He was not forced out of bounds. You can't be forced out of bounds by a defender that has his back to you that is running downfield.

No. You're wrong.

Your premise is that a DB can't ever be guilty of interference in any way if he's looking back at the ball, with his back to the receiver. I know you didn't say that explicitly, but that seems to be what you're implying. And this is absolutely, 100% not true. There can be such contact on pass interference calls, and it can apply to this case as well.

And on the replay, he straightens his arm behind his back to make contact with Reilly. The hat comes off. The ref sees the contact with the straight arm. The call is ruled as simply contact by the defensive player. They review it. They confirm contact. Correct call on the field upheld.

• Fire 1

Reilly wasn't watching what he was doing and got away with one. He was not forced out of bounds. You can't be forced out of bounds by a defender that has his back to you that is running downfield.

No. You're wrong.

Your premise is that a DB can't ever be guilty of interference in any way if he's looking back at the ball, with his back to the receiver. I know you didn't say that explicitly, but that seems to be what you're implying. And this is absolutely, 100% not true. There can be such contact on pass interference calls, and it can apply to this case as well.

And on the replay, he straightens his arm behind his back to make contact with Reilly. The hat comes off. The ref sees the contact with the straight arm. The call is ruled as simply contact by the defensive player. They review it. They confirm contact. Correct call on the field upheld.

I think its more a semantics issue here then anything else. You are right because this is not a "wrong" call. Everything that happened is in the rules and was done correctly. However, if the ref decided the contact was not the cause of Reilly going out of bounds that is not a "wrong" call either and could not be overturned by review either. This is essentially a dressed up PI call at the end of the day. The only wrinkle being it has an additional reviewable aspect on the existence of contact. The result of that contact however remains a judgment call and the ref can rule either way and still be "correct"

Basically, it comes down to whether you think his judgment on the contact forcing Reilly out is good or bad.

Having said that two interference calls last night were judgement calls as well and far more egregious and obviously bad(the offsetting and the no call on Moore)

Not so sure about the offsetting call. Not sure what they showed on TV. I was in the SW corner where the play happened. WR pushed off early and the ref was reaching for his flag before the contact from the DB when 2 more flags came out from other officials. Guys standing next to me agreed.

Having said that two interference calls last night were judgement calls as well and far more egregious and obviously bad(the offsetting and the no call on Moore)

Not so sure about the offsetting call. Not sure what they showed on TV. I was in the SW corner where the play happened. WR pushed off early and the ref was reaching for his flag before the contact from the DB when 2 more flags came out from other officials. Guys standing next to me agreed.

Gotcha. Thanks. That's the nice thing about being there. Knapp says there was additional contact on the Reilly play as well that's not visible on the TV footage that he could see from his end zone seats. Im only going by the footage I've seen.

• Fire 1

This officiating crew was the ones that called the wisconsin game where kenny bell blew up the wisconsin player and we got the "kenny bell rule" because of that hit.....what rule chane will come from this?

This same crew evidently called the MSU vs. Michigan game this year as well. Interesting........:thumbs

This officiating crew was the ones that called the wisconsin game where kenny bell blew up the wisconsin player and we got the "kenny bell rule" because of that hit.....what rule chane will come from this?

This same crew evidently called the MSU vs. Michigan game this year as well. Interesting........ :thumbs

Which is maybe why Griese was being a tool to the officials.

• Fire 2

No. You're wrong.

Im not sure why there is any argument, the guy in the white jersey was wrong and the guy in the red jersey was right and the guy in the black and white shirt saw it that way.

I can't believe how many really are upset that Nebraska caught a break. There was contact, it may not have been the deciding factor in Rieley going out of bounds who knows and who cares. A call went our way.

Trust me if that was MSU driving for a winning touchdown and that play happened in their favor Dantonio would take it say thank you and move on.