Reilly out of bounds

Husker66

I watched the end of the BTN replay tonight. They replayed the Reilly catch six times. But every single time they showed a replay they showed it starting where Reilly had already stepped out. Not once did they start the replay a couple seconds earlier in the play where you could see the CB riding him out of bounds. They made it sound like it was a bad call. Very poor reporting of the facts by BTN. Very poor. :hmmph

Isn't that just the ESPN coverage?

I don't think so. BTN showed the replay several more times than espn did during the game. BTN even had an expert--a former referee or something--explain the rule about contact and what aspects of the play were subject to review. ESPN didn't do any of that during the game.

Oh, so was it on one of their shows? I thought you were just talking about a replay of the game.

I watched the end of the BTN replay tonight. They replayed the Reilly catch six times. But every single time they showed a replay they showed it starting where Reilly had already stepped out. Not once did they start the replay a couple seconds earlier in the play where you could see the CB riding him out of bounds. They made it sound like it was a bad call. Very poor reporting of the facts by BTN. Very poor. :hmmph

I don't think so. BTN showed the replay several more times than espn did during the game. BTN even had an expert--a former referee or something--explain the rule about contact and what aspects of the play were subject to review. ESPN didn't do any of that during the game.

Oh, so was it on one of their shows? I thought you were just talking about a replay of the game.

There are tweets from an ESPN guy after he talked to their rules expert. Those tweets say pretty much what everyone else has said so far. Well, except for a fan here and there. Oh yeah, those tweets are linked right here in this thread. biggrin1.gif

It was on the BTN one hour replay last night. I think BTN showed a bit more discussion of the play than espn aired during the game. That is sort of unusual. I don't recall espn having anyone talk about the specifics of the rule, other than that idiot Griese.

This supposed controversy is still being talked about here?

At the speed that these kids are running, it don't take much contact to be pushed out of bounds. Try it some time!!! Run and have someone run beside you and give you a nudge with their arm.

The call was correct and justified.

• Fire 1

The counter argument to "forced out" is that a DB has a right to a spot on the field; if the WR wants around the DB, he can fight inside (legal) or go out of bounds (illegal).

That was a pretty tough position to put a DB in because he's "feeling" the WR in that situation, not riding him or forcing him out of bounds.

While that is true, if due to contact he forces a receiver out of bounds the receiver still gets to come back in and play.

The counter argument to "forced out" is that a DB has a right to a spot on the field; if the WR wants around the DB, he can fight inside (legal) or go out of bounds (illegal).

That was a pretty tough position to put a DB in because he's "feeling" the WR in that situation, not riding him or forcing him out of bounds.

While that is true, if due to contact he forces a receiver out of bounds the receiver still gets to come back in and play.

This is the case. The replay I saw showed enough to clearly indicate the two players contacted each other during the course of their running down the field and Reilly was effectively forced or driven out of bounds by the defender's position vs him. The call was correct. Period. It really is not all that close.

Most importantly, it is NOT reviewable as the call is a judgement call the on field official has to make and is NOT subject to change, no matter what the replay shows or fails to show. Period. There appears a good amount of evidence from the vdeo and so on to suggest the official got it right. Frankly, the on field officials had not trouble in deciding and were immediately comfortable. It was like the had a 3 minute long 'pow wow' in the middle of the field to try to decide what to do or asked to review film to figure out what may have happened. They were sure and confident. Certainly nobody can reasonably claim that Nebraska is the Big Ten's favorite and or that the refs favor us or were obviously 'helping us' in the game. They made a call and stood by it confidently. The video clearly does NOT show any clear and convincing evidence that any error was made.

The call is over and done with. There were certainly other calls where refs may have made errors that hurt Nebraska. Some hurt MSU. That happens in every single game. If you reviewed every play, you could likely find some kind of rules issue or penalty or violation of something. Holding, blocking, movement, formation, etc. are all over the place.

This is just another example of were football is heading. WR's are getting the benefit of the doubt on almost everything, they are untouchable after 5 yards, yet they run pick routes almost every play.

This is kind of where my head is at. We give a lot of leniency to offenses and wide receivers. In my own opinion, I don't think MSU's DB did anything wrong and I don't think Reilly should have been able to do what he did in that scenario.

I know it didn't draw a flag, but, I compare it to pass interference. The amount of contact the DB had on Reilly was minimal based on the best replays I've seen. If Reilly really was shoved, forced, or whatever, then similar contact should draw 15 pass interference calls each and every game.

But, based on the rule, I understand why Reilly was able to score. Still don't think it put the DB in the best situation. They're already at a huge disadvantage.

This is just another example of were football is heading. WR's are getting the benefit of the doubt on almost everything, they are untouchable after 5 yards, yet they run pick routes almost every play.

This is kind of where my head is at. We give a lot of leniency to offenses and wide receivers. In my own opinion, I don't think MSU's DB did anything wrong and I don't think Reilly should have been able to do what he did in that scenario.

I know it didn't draw a flag, but, I compare it to pass interference. The amount of contact the DB had on Reilly was minimal based on the best replays I've seen. If Reilly really was shoved, forced, or whatever, then similar contact should draw 15 pass interference calls each and every game.

But, based on the rule, I understand why Reilly was able to score. Still don't think it put the DB in the best situation. They're already at a huge disadvantage.

Why would you compare it to pass interference? These are totally separate things. You are wrong to make this comparison. That's almost like comparing a goal line judgement whether the ball carrier was down before he made the end zone, or if the defender should be flagged for a late hit.

Contact starts at about the 18 yard line. Reilly gets between the defender and the boundary, and as the defender continues out of bounds, he takes Reilly with him. What you can't see from this angle is the defender's arm & shoulder on Reilly, maintaining contact for a good five yards, impelling him out of bounds. This was very evident live, and several people in my section were yelling "INTERFERENCE!" before Reilly caught the pass and we all lost our minds.

NOTE - my seats are in the north end zone almost exactly in line with the hash marks on the west side of the field. We had a perfect angle and were watching these two battle as they came downfield. There was never a doubt in my mind that he was out of bounds because of the defender.

Awesome view of the play, Knapp. Thanks for posting!

Boy, Tommy really got wiped out right after he threw.

I found a segment that the DB had his left arm up in front of Reilly running towards the sideline at an angle. The ref felt that the DB made contact to the WR towards the sideline edging him.

The first view they give is from the camera from behind, replay about the ten yard line it seems that he went out on his own and Rilley comes back to the field of play. Then in the same video the next view is from the sideline camera, notice where the arms of the DB is positioned to keep contact with Rielly, contact established. The DB did not know where the ball was at any time.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/nebraska-stuns-unbeaten-michigan-state-on-controversial-final-play

Scroll down and look to your right for the first video.............................................

The headline says MSU loses on "controversial final play" It wasn't the final play. It was second down. Poor reporting on that fact.

Contact starts at about the 18 yard line. Reilly gets between the defender and the boundary, and as the defender continues out of bounds, he takes Reilly with him. What you can't see from this angle is the defender's arm & shoulder on Reilly, maintaining contact for a good five yards, impelling him out of bounds. This was very evident live, and several people in my section were yelling "INTERFERENCE!" before Reilly caught the pass and we all lost our minds.

NOTE - my seats are in the north end zone almost exactly in line with the hash marks on the west side of the field. We had a perfect angle and were watching these two battle as they came downfield. There was never a doubt in my mind that he was out of bounds because of the defender.

Awesome view of the play, Knapp. Thanks for posting!

Boy, Tommy really got wiped out right after he threw.

I found a segment that the DB had his left arm up in front of Reilly running towards the sideline at an angle. The ref felt that the DB made contact to the WR towards the sideline edging him.

The first view they give is from the camera from behind, replay about the ten yard line it seems that he went out on his own and Rilley comes back to the field of play. Then in the same video the next view is from the sideline camera, notice where the arms of the DB is positioned to keep contact with Rielly, contact established. The DB did not know where the ball was at any time.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/nebraska-stuns-unbeaten-michigan-state-on-controversial-final-play

Scroll down and look to your right for the first video.............................................

The headline says MSU loses on "controversial final play" It wasn't the final play. It was second down. Poor reporting on that fact.

I know the headline was misleading by USA, they duplicate what they get through the sports wire. My main objective is to let others know of this angle view of contact for that play.

Why would you compare it to pass interference? These are totally separate things. You are wrong to make this comparison. That's almost like comparing a goal line judgement whether the ball carrier was down before he made the end zone, or if the defender should be flagged for a late hit.

Pass interference and what happened to Reilly are two different things?

chuckleshuffle

I wasn't saying they were the same thing. I thought I made the context of my post clear enough, but I'll clarify. I'm specifically talking about the amount of contact that occurred. The DB, in my own opinion, barely touched Reilly and barely impeded his process to run his route. I believe Reilly ran out of bounds almost entirely on his own accord.

That's where I drew the comparison to PI - again, focusing on the contact. I see WR's and DB's have similar contact between the hashmarks on pass plays. But, now the DB all of a sudden does similar contact along the boundary and that makes it OK for the WR to come back in bounds and make a play? Like the DB all of a sudden is doing something wrong now that he's near the sideline? I just don't buy it. I think the DB was well within his rights to have his hand where he did and I personally don't believe a player should be able to just run back in bounds like that and make a play.

chuckleshuffle

I wasn't saying they were the same thing. I thought I made the context of my post clear enough, but I'll clarify. I'm specifically talking about the amount of contact that occurred. The DB, in my own opinion, barely touched Reilly and barely impeded his process to run his route. I believe Reilly ran out of bounds almost entirely on his own accord.

That's where I drew the comparison to PI - again, focusing on the contact. I see WR's and DB's have similar contact between the hashmarks on pass plays. But, now the DB all of a sudden does similar contact along the boundary and that makes it OK for the WR to come back in bounds and make a play? Like the DB all of a sudden is doing something wrong now that he's near the sideline? I just don't buy it. I think the DB was well within his rights to have his hand where he did and I personally don't believe a player should be able to just run back in bounds like that and make a play.

Why is it such a big deal that a receiver can come back in bounds after contact with the defender makes him go out? Nobody is saying the DB did anything wrong at all. That's why no flag was thrown. It's just that the play continues just like it did if that minimal contact happened anywhere else on the field. The defender may have barely touched him but he was clearly squeezing Reilly out of the field of play. The rules don't require him to leave the receiver a lane in bounds to run in, but they do say that the receiver can come back and establish position in bounds and make a play.

• Fire 1

chuckleshuffle

Why is it such a big deal that a receiver can come back in bounds after contact with the defender makes him go out? Nobody is saying the DB did anything wrong at all. That's why no flag was thrown. It's just that the play continues just like it did if that minimal contact happened anywhere else on the field. The defender may have barely touched him but he was clearly squeezing Reilly out of the field of play. The rules don't require him to leave the receiver a lane in bounds to run in, but they do say that the receiver can come back and establish position in bounds and make a play.

Then what is the point of having a boundary line? If the DB did nothing wrong then why is it OK for Reilly to run out of bounds and then come back in?

The rule, as interpreted on this play, suggests the DB did something wrong. If the DB had not touched Reilly at all then Reilly would've made an illegal catch, no?