Imani Cross.........

Hayseed

Continuing to nail it, Guy. Agree with your post.

I know our RB situation has been a bit like dropping a disc down a plinko board to see who gets the most carries. But, even this season, Cross has had games where his YPC weren't great and he had limited carries. I think some people want to see Cross do well and it feeds a narrative that he should be doing well. But, as Guy pointed out, it's now two coaching staffs who used Cross in about the same capacity. The MSU game was Cross' best game as a Husker, IMHO. Now, much like this team, the onus is on him to prove it wasn't a fluke.

When the big boy started getting yards after contact, you could tell the MSU defense was getting tired of tackling/chasing him. This was a case of Imani doing what he knows best and that's heading north and breaking through arm tackles it was a great thing to see. I also saw some good pass blocking on his part as well hopefully this translates into more playing time in the final 2 games.

• Fire 1

There is a narrative that goes something like this: Cross is not so good, both coaching staffs used him in the same way, he had his chances, etc, that I do not find compelling. The other narrative:Cross finally found himself, he finally "Got it", or other words that imply he is doing something fundamentally different.

I think he always was what he is right now, a power option that could be used to good effect.

What is happening with Michigan State is you saw him run out of a power running formation more. With the same results that would have been obtained if they had used him in this capacity many years ago. Just as Mark Wiesman ran for Iowa, had Nebraska gone to a power running game, Cross would have been a strong contributor.

But the pass first offense, with a single tailback and a delayed handoff beside a shotgun quarterback, doesn't suit his running style so much.

But Jano and Cross together is a powerful combo and it yielded the predicted results.

A football team can be successful in a number of different ways. At the beginning of the season I saw a team loaded with running back talent, with a great running quarterback, and had high hopes for the season. Instead we started playing this west coast finesse game and lost game after game. I don't think things have changed at all. Had we run a power game from the beginning of the season, I think we would have a much better record.

Just my opinion, and we all know what that is worth...

• Fire 1

There is a narrative that goes something like this: Cross is not so good, both coaching staffs used him in the same way, he had his chances, etc, that I do not find compelling. The other narrative:Cross finally found himself, he finally "Got it", or other words that imply he is doing something fundamentally different.

I think he always was what he is right now, a power option that could be used to good effect.

What is happening with Michigan State is you saw him run out of a power running formation more. With the same results that would have been obtained if they had used him in this capacity many years ago. Just as Mark Wiesman ran for Iowa, had Nebraska gone to a power running game, Cross would have been a strong contributor.

But the pass first offense, with a single tailback and a delayed handoff beside a shotgun quarterback, doesn't suit his running style so much.

But Jano and Cross together is a powerful combo and it yielded the predicted results.

A football team can be successful in a number of different ways. At the beginning of the season I saw a team loaded with running back talent, with a great running quarterback, and had high hopes for the season. Instead we started playing this west coast finesse game and lost game after game. I don't think things have changed at all. Had we run a power game from the beginning of the season, I think we

I think there's validity to some of what you're saying, xlbder.

I haven't perused this thread that closely, but I hope people aren't assuming or saying Cross finally "got it." To me, getting it isn't about the performance that changed everything, it's about following up that performance. Will he continue to have this success in the few remaining games? Will he be given the opportunity?

It's the same thing with any one suggesting Nebraska turned a corner after beating MSU, which I know was some of the chatter on local radio today. They'll have turned the corner, imho, if they beat Rutgers and follow it up with a great performance against Iowa. But even then, to what extent is "turning the corner?" If they are a .500 squad next year did they still turn a corner by beating MSU?

Probably a conversation for another thread.

• Fire 2

I think there's validity to some of what you're saying, xlbder.

I haven't perused this thread that closely, but I hope people aren't assuming or saying Cross finally "got it." To me, getting it isn't about the performance that changed everything, it's about following up that performance. Will he continue to have this success in the few remaining games? Will he be given the opportunity?

It's the same thing with any one suggesting Nebraska turned a corner after beating MSU, which I know was some of the chatter on local radio today. They'll have turned the corner, imho, if they beat Rutgers and follow it up with a great performance against Iowa. But even then, to what extent is "turning the corner?" If they are a .500 squad next year did they still turn a corner by beating MSU?d

Probably a conversation for another thread.

turning the corner means winning the last 2 games, maybe a bowl game, but 8-9 wins next year for sure.......that's what it will take for me to be mildly satisfied.......show me da money!

Too me it's about whether or not Cross will be given the opportunity. We know and we have seen how he can contribute but we still see him out in situations that are not suited to his style. The management of the running backs has been baffling to me. That backfield with him and Jano is what this team should have been from the get go.

The whole, "Cross finally got it," makes as much sense as saying "Jano finally got it." Bo never used Jano, but Reilly did and Jano showed he can get it done.

Cross showed he can get it done too when used in a proper way. If they go back to single back sets and delayed handoffs Cross won't do as well with that.

Ameer was great with the delayed handoff, Backs are different. Cross is a power runner. Jano is a power runner.

II think Newby and Wilbon are great backs. If there is a spread offense that worked well and Newby and Wiilbon starred in it, I wouldn't have a problem with that. But we were losing game after game like that and many of us were advocating trying a power running game but the MASTERS OF THE BOARD, pooh-pooh the idea,

It bothered me that Guy, Mavric and some other honchos on this board dismissed the idea of Cross as a featured back.

Most of us on this board know we are talking bullsh#t half the time. Some people confuse their opinion with facts.

Perhaps someone can correct me, but I don't think Cross was asked to run anything he hasn't already run before against MSU. I just think, overall, he and his blockers executed their jobs better than they have. I commented earlier on this board that there was a play near the goal line around the 2-yard line. Cross got the ball on something like a toss or stretch play and got hit a couple yards in the backfield, but turned it into a 1-yard gain. That's the kind of play I feel like I rarely see him turn positive, but he did Saturday.

I also don't think it's really a shadow cast on the previous or current staff, either. He just doesn't fit well with some of the schemes we've had, IMHO.

• Fire 1
  • 8 months later...