Imani Cross.........

Hayseed

Cross had a great game. He ran tough, got north-south and his 5-7 yard carries were big to keep the offense humming.

I was pissed at Langsdorf for going to 3 straight passes after Cross lost 2 on a first down carry in the 3rd quarter. Yes, one pass was a long pass to Reilly to the 4, but Langsahan didn't go back to Cross inside the 5 and TA threw his pick on 2nd down.

Cross got a lot of help from the o-line and Jano had some great blocks at the point of attack. Imani did his job of getting positive yards. Good job.

Cross had a great game. He ran tough, got north-south and his 5-7 yard carries were big to keep the offense humming.

I was pissed at Langsdorf for going to 3 straight passes after Cross lost 2 on a first down carry in the 3rd quarter. Yes, one pass was a long pass to Reilly to the 4, but Langsahan didn't go back to Cross inside the 5 and TA threw his pick on 2nd down.

Cross got a lot of help from the o-line and Jano had some great blocks at the point of attack. Imani did his job of getting positive yards. Good job.

finally our offense had a good game for the entire game (second quarter) was a bit of a stumble. The O-line had by far their best game, as well as Imani. I questioned the same calls that you do, where the hell was Cross on a couple of inside the 10 plays. Have not been critical of the coaches this entire year but do wonder where Langsdorf comes up with some of his play calling.

GBR now, no let down at Rutgers!!!!!

I said this already in the 'What did we learn' thread, but it's like Imani realized that his primary objective should be keeping his balance...not looking for the right hole. As if it hit him last night that he's 230+ pounds, and he can rumble on every single carry he gets with yards after contact. And I mean that in the most positive way towards Imani.

Our guards and tackles played extremely well for Imani on numerous off tackle runs, too. But he had some punishing, old-school-Nebraska-esque power runs that really imposed our will against them on several drives.

I said this already in the 'What did we learn' thread, but it's like Imani realized that his primary objective should be keeping his balance...not looking for the right hole. As if it hit him last night that he's 230+ pounds, and he can rumble on every single carry he gets with yards after contact. And I mean that in the most positive way towards Imani.

Our guards and tackles played extremely well for Imani on numerous off tackle runs, too. But he had some punishing, old-school-Nebraska-esque power runs that really imposed our will against them on several drives.

Imani struggles if he has to "pick and choose" on a hole. But, if the hole is predetermined and the o-line makes the blocks, then he is a very solid RB. He was key throughout the game getting 4-7 yards on first down carries to keep the game manageable. As we have seen throughout the season, as soon as Langsdorf sees a negative running play, there isn't another run play called for a number of plays.

Imani is by far the best running back we have for the type of rushing attack we should have been using all along.

Agreed. It's just frustrating to think what could have been had the staff used Imani, et al, effectively.

Oh well, at least there's still a chance for bowl eligibility.

• Fire 1

In many of his past performances, Imani did not appear to have the "first fast step" as he often took the handoff at almost a deadstop and then had to take off and run and by then the defense was on him. This past game, he appeared to be getting the hand-offs while he was accelerating quite a bit more and that, plus the o-line play were contributing factors.

Be hard to give the game ball to him with Jordan Westcamp's play....footballs are cheap,,,give them both one... One serious question. Why was Imani so dominant tonight? Against a strong rush defense. I'm stumped.

a combo of a good game plan, anger, and the willingness to pound the rock.

This. But, I'll be honest, I never expected to see a performance like this out of Imani. He's always been a player that could create big plays, but, he also had a tendency to have plays that left you a little stumped. Plays Imani previously would've either lost yards on or gained only a couple, he turned into big gains. Just a complete performance Saturday. Count me as someone very proud and impressed with what he did.

One play in particular was astounding to me, and it wasn't even a great play. IIRC, he had a toss sweep from the 2-yard line (or some kind of outside running play) that wasn't blocked very well and MSU had him dead to rights for a one yard loss. Instead, he slipped a couple tackles and somehow find a way to gain a yard down to the one. I believe TA scored on a QB run shortly after. In the past, that was a run I wouldn't have expected Imani to turn into a positive gain.

We also definitely have to give it up to the line for gelling well at times, and Jano... Jano-freaking-Jano. Had some crucial blocks last night. I wish this kid had more time to play for Nebraska.

Yeah, it's like a light came on for him Saturday night. There have been times in the past when I couldn't believe how easy it was for a DB to tackle a guy Imani's size. But that changed on Saturday. He was punishing Sparty tacklers. Did a nice job of running through arm tackles. Had great YAC on several plays. Also, Imani seemed to do a great job of picking the crease and following his blockers. I think the game was Imani's best running game yet. :thumbs:

agreed, he was a stud. Is Newby hurt, he doesn't seem to be getting as much play time these past 2 games. Also what happened to Ozigbo? I don't know why they used Newby down in the 1 goal line sequence where eventually TA ran a bootleg to score. Should have been Cross on all of those from inside the 2

Imani and Jano should be the running game.

Thunder and Chocolate Thunder.

As bad as it sounds it was a blessing for the team that Newby got banged-up. He's just too limited a back to be getting so many touches, specifically running inside. Cross and Jano break tackles and punish defenses. Still would like to see Wilbon get another crack out there.

Imani is by far the best running back we have for the type of rushing attack we should have been using all along.

Agreed. It's just frustrating to think what could have been had the staff used Imani, et al, effectively.

Oh well, at least there's still a chance for bowl eligibility.

It's especially frustrating given this staff's history of putting the QB under center and running downhill. It should have been obvious to them.

Part of me still suspects we'll see Newby taking shotgun hand-offs and crashing into the teeth of a waiting defense in no time.

Be hard to give the game ball to him with Jordan Westcamp's play....footballs are cheap,,,give them both one... One serious question. Why was Imani so dominant tonight? Against a strong rush defense. I'm stumped.

a combo of a good game plan, anger, and the willingness to pound the rock.

This. But, I'll be honest, I never expected to see a performance like this out of Imani. He's always been a player that could create big plays, but, he also had a tendency to have plays that left you a little stumped. Plays Imani previously would've either lost yards on or gained only a couple, he turned into big gains. Just a complete performance Saturday. Count me as someone very proud and impressed with what he did.

One play in particular was astounding to me, and it wasn't even a great play. IIRC, he had a toss sweep from the 2-yard line (or some kind of outside running play) that wasn't blocked very well and MSU had him dead to rights for a one yard loss. Instead, he slipped a couple tackles and somehow find a way to gain a yard down to the one. I believe TA scored on a QB run shortly after. In the past, that was a run I wouldn't have expected Imani to turn into a positive gain.

We also definitely have to give it up to the line for gelling well at times, and Jano... Jano-freaking-Jano. Had some crucial blocks last night. I wish this kid had more time to play for Nebraska.

Yeah, it's like a light came on for him Saturday night. There have been times in the past when I couldn't believe how easy it was for a DB to tackle a guy Imani's size. But that changed on Saturday. He was punishing Sparty tacklers. Did a nice job of running through arm tackles. Had great YAC on several plays. Also, Imani seemed to do a great job of picking the crease and following his blockers. I think the game was Imani's best running game yet. :thumbs:

Couldn't agree more.

My one concern is what this means moving forward, as others have spoken about. Guys who have done a good job toting the rock one week have sometimes disappeared the next. Will they go back to Newby next week early? Will they start Cross, but will he have trouble finding rhythm and revert back to some old tendencies?