Michigan St Game: What Did We Learn?

Any of the talent talk I have said is garbage. Just hasn't been utilized 100 percent correctly till it was better tonight.

See cross and sterup

Talent is tricky, right? The coaches need to scheme to the talent of their players to have success. Roster management is a HUGE factor in determining if a team "looks" to have talent.

Agreed. This is why we learned last night that our coaches and staff have been mismanaging our talent and scheming us out of games against inferior competition.

But more importantly, we learned these kids have heart and can play with the best of them.

We learned that some fans will still piss and moan, even after a great win.

^^ This. Sadly, this. +1 :facepalm:

Just like we've learned that some fans don't posses critical thought processes.

It's too bad they can't look at a game through the context of a whole season, and that they have to be "about the moment", especially because said "moment" is the only thing that supports their narrative.

Last night's win was great, but it in no way excuses this staff for their prior gaffes.

On a related, note, I realized that we're not quite dead yet as a team this season.

Hopefully Rutgers or Iowa don't possess a stick and ninepence.

• Fire 1

1. We're more talented than Purdue, Illinois, etc. I knew all along, but there's some on this board that thought our talent level stooped as low as Kansas.

2. We can run the ball up the middle. All it took was using a bruising running back like Cross, and making a change in the offensive line.

3. Tommy is awesome! The way he played made everyone forget he's battling through turf toe.

4. Maybe Michigan St.'s scheme isn't the one we should be going for....Sparty's defense has struggled all year and struggled again yesterday. You may need elite corners, and a legit pass rush to make it work. We need to run more cover 2.

5. We can win on primetime tv!

6. I can't stand Brian Griese. There was a time in the late 3rd or early 4th, where Imani Cross was stuffed in the backfield. Griese says, "Well you're not going to be able to run on this Michigan St. defense", while we were averaging over 5 yards a carry at the time. It's as if he wasn't watching the game.

7. We have the best fans in the nation. Seriously, what other fan base packs the house for a team that's 3-6? NOBODY. Just an awesome day for Husker football! GO BIG RED

sometimes i forget how great the fans generally are when the negative crap in the forums gets so overwhelming.

1) Riley and his staff might be able to take this team to the promise land. That was an excellent coached game.

2) There is a lot of quality character in the locker room

3) The OL had its best game by far, potentially the best in years.

4) Imani ran extremely well and finished his runs. I've always liked him.

5) Tommy, Westy, and Reilly are incredible. So proud to have these guys.

6) The only glaring negative on the night was the lack of pass rush. Credit MSU's line for protecting well, but Cook wasn't hurried all night, and that makes it tough on our secondary who continues to improve.

7) Gerry played really well.

Are guys actually being happy with an "Oregon State" season? I know I'm not.

The win against Michigan State was great. It felt really good. However, it doesn't take away the losses to BYU, Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern.

It also doesn't take away the fact that one season is not enough to decide whether a coach is going to work or not.

Why don't his seasons at Oregon State count?

The win against Michigan State was great. It felt really good. However, it doesn't take away the losses to BYU, Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern.

It also doesn't take away the fact that one season is not enough to decide whether a coach is going to work or not.

t

The time for those to factor into the decision would have been during the hiring process.

We've been over this several dozen times on this forum. But there are several obtuse people who think we're comparing apples to apples. It's not necessary to rehash it. It's not that they don't count. They just don't count nearly as much as some people think they should.

We "learned" it is physically possible to run the ball two/three times in a row and move the chains.

Oh wait, most of us knew that.

Hopefully Langsdorf and Riley were paying attention though. This one could pay off huge if it sinks in with them.

D@mn straight we saw a running game last night!!

1) Riley and his staff might be able to take this team to the promise land. That was an excellent coached game.

6) The only glaring negative on the night was the lack of pass rush. Credit MSU's line for protecting well, but Cook wasn't hurried all night, and that makes it tough on our secondary who continues to improve.

Hmmm . . .

t

The time for those to factor into the decision would have been during the hiring process.

We've been over this several dozen times on this forum. But there are several obtuse people who think we're comparing apples to apples. It's not necessary to rehash it. It's not that they don't count. They just don't count nearly as much as some people think they should.

Sorry, guys. They don't disappear just because Mike Riley stepped foot on campus. His past seasons at Oregon State are at least relevant to assess whether our struggles are par for the course or due to some aberration (e.g., injuries, scheme adjustment, bad culture left behind by Pelini).

Hmmm . . .

He and that other dude both bit on the MSU player's cut for that TD. Reminded me of Harris scoring for Miami in '94. It was just a great player making a great move. Of course, they should have surrounded him rather than both going to the same side.

t

Sorry, guys. They don't disappear just because Mike Riley stepped foot on campus. His past seasons at Oregon State are at least relevant to assess whether our struggles are par for the course or due to some aberration (e.g., injuries, scheme adjustment, bad culture left behind by Pelini).

I'm not denying they are somewhat relevant. I am denying comparing OSU to Nebraska is apples to apples. And that the first year is indicative of how an entire tenure with the team will go.

Probably the best OL performance since Miami last year. Nebraska catch Cook on an off night and did get pressure, though inconsistently.