I've trash talked the coaching staff so..,.

I believe it was fair, and reasonable, to expect improvement from TA this year and he hasn't shown it for a multitude of reasons.

I do too, but I think the numbers bely Tommy's improvement.

I don't think anyone can say that Tommy isn't a notably better quarterback than he was last year. The Illinois and Wisconsin games drag his percentages down a big way, and no mistake, he played awful in those games, but overall he has improved quite a bit.

Tommy's had games with 70%, 65.7%, 69.2%, and 66.7% this season.

Last year he had one game better than any of those, and that 69.2% against Miami, where he only threw 13 times.

But the flip side of that coin is he must have had several games that are really bad to drag his percentage right back down to where it was last year.

So all that really tells you is that he's been more inconsistent - higher highs, lower lows - than he was last year. Or, probably more precisely, he's completed a higher percentage in the games he hasn't thrown very much and rarely completes a high percentage when he throws a lot. The four high-percentage games you mention are when he threw 30, 35, 26, and 21 times. They are also against three of the four worst teams we've played this year and possibly four of the worst five. But the two games he's thrown the most (45 and 48 attempts) he hasn't been above 50%.

Which makes it all the more mind-boggling why there are so many games where we've tried to throw so much.

• Fire 1

I believe it was fair, and reasonable, to expect improvement from TA this year and he hasn't shown it for a multitude of reasons.

I do too, but I think the numbers bely Tommy's improvement.

I don't think anyone can say that Tommy isn't a notably better quarterback than he was last year. The Illinois and Wisconsin games drag his percentages down a big way, and no mistake, he played awful in those games, but overall he has improved quite a bit.

Tommy's had games with 70%, 65.7%, 69.2%, and 66.7% this season.

Last year he had one game better than any of those, and that 69.2% against Miami, where he only threw 13 times.

I see what you're saying, but it's somewhat difficult for me to still dig through the numbers and see notable improvements. I think, as another poster pointed out, it's shown he's had perhaps some higher highs and lower lows. That's why I love getting to this point in the year for statistical analysis because you have so much to work with.

I will say that my eye test tells me when he's been on this year, he's been really on. Starting the game what... 9/11 for 152 yards and 2 TD's against Rutgers? That's awesome. But, for me at least, those times where he just looks completely off and completes 40% of his passes are just as telling.

Now, how much of this is all on Tommy? I think that's debatable. He hasn't had a great running game at times this year, something I believe he needs to be truly effective. Their stalled drives, and defensive mistakes, have forced them to play catch up this year putting TA in bad spots. And he has new coaches with a new scheme. There's a lot hidden in there that won't show up in TA's stats.

But the notion that Nebraska can declare its intention to pound the rock and defenses will bend to our will needs to be retired. Also, that reasonably balanced offense is pretty exciting and puts up enough points to win on teams with better defenses. Not sure why it makes so many fans so grumpy.

Strong running teams win championships. "Balanced" teams have "balanced" W/L records.

And winning teams have consistent quarterbacks, solid offensive lines, great running backs, dependable receivers, shut down defenses and good turnover differentials.

Balanced teams also have strong running attacks. That's what makes them balanced.

Clemson has no trouble passing the ball 45 times a game. They're also running the ball really well. They're currently the #1 team in the country. Jim Harbaugh loves the ground game, but needed - or allowed -- his QB to throw 46 times for 440 yards in order to beat Indiana. Given the luxury of both passing and running well, Nick Saban and Urban Meyer will run the ball more often. Every coach given that choice will run the ball more often.

On balance, a flawed Nebraska team with a new coaching staff is running and passing with equal frequency, with a slight statistical advantage to the passing game on yards per attempt. On balance, Tommy Armstrong has about the same number of stupid interceptions as he has near miraculous completions. On a team that gives up 28 points a game, you have to be really, really sure your RBs and offensive line can get 10 yards in three plays while chewing up the clock. Even with Ameer Abdullah, teams no more lofty than McNeese State could decide to shut down our running game and dare Tommy Armstrong to beat them with his arm. We're still in that place.

Tommy Armstrong can be a hero or goat in the same game. He could be a liability who gets replaced by a freshman next year, and he could conceivably win Big 10 Offensive Player of the Year this year. As a Junior he is already the #3 Total Offense Career Leader at the University of Nebraska. Quite an accomplishment for a square peg in a round hole. I'm betting the coaching staff really wants him to complete more than 55% of his passes and not throw the ball to wide open defenders, but I just don't see this team winning more games with more between the tackles hand offs or under the direction of Ryker Fyfe.

And speaking of balance, if the 11 players on the other side of the ball could merely trim the Points Allowed down from 28 to 25, we might not be gnashing our teeth about the offense at all.

• Fire 3

But the notion that Nebraska can declare its intention to pound the rock and defenses will bend to our will needs to be retired. Also, that reasonably balanced offense is pretty exciting and puts up enough points to win on teams with better defenses. Not sure why it makes so many fans so grumpy.

Strong running teams win championships. "Balanced" teams have "balanced" W/L records.

And winning teams have consistent quarterbacks, solid offensive lines, great running backs, dependable receivers, shut down defenses and good turnover differentials.

Balanced teams also have strong running attacks. That's what makes them balanced.

Clemson has no trouble passing the ball 45 times a game. They're also running the ball really well. They're currently the #1 team in the country. Jim Harbaugh loves the ground game, but needed - or allowed -- his QB to throw 46 times for 440 yards in order to beat Indiana. Given the luxury of both passing and running well, Nick Saban and Urban Meyer will run the ball more often. Every coach given that choice will run the ball more often.

On balance, a flawed Nebraska team with a new coaching staff is running and passing with equal frequency, with a slight statistical advantage to the passing game on yards per attempt. On balance, Tommy Armstrong has about the same number of stupid interceptions as he has near miraculous completions. On a team that gives up 28 points a game, you have to be really, really sure your RBs and offensive line can get 10 yards in three plays while chewing up the clock. Even with Ameer Abdullah, teams no more lofty than McNeese State could decide to shut down our running game and dare Tommy Armstrong to beat them with his arm. We're still in that place.

Tommy Armstrong can be a hero or goat in the same game. He could be a liability who gets replaced by a freshman next year, and he could conceivably win Big 10 Offensive Player of the Year this year. As a Junior he is already the #3 Total Offense Career Leader at the University of Nebraska. Quite an accomplishment for a square peg in a round hole. I'm betting the coaching staff really wants him to complete more than 55% of his passes and not throw the ball to wide open defenders, but I just don't see this team winning more games with more between the tackles hand offs or under the direction of Ryker Fyfe.

And speaking of balance, if the 11 players on the other side of the ball could merely trim the Points Allowed down from 28 to 25, we might not be gnashing our teeth about the offense at all.

Of the teams with the top 40 most passing attempts, Tommy has the lowest completion percentage of any of their starting QBs. Coaches whose teams throw the ball as much as the Huskers have been throwing it, generally do so because they are efficient passing teams and have accurate passers. In fact, for most of the successful teams that are on pace for 400-450 pass attempts this year (as the Huskers are), their QBs are in the area of about 65% - 70% completion percentage....not 54% as Tommy is. My problem is not with Tommy. I think he is great when used as a zone read QB. He is just not a good pro-style pocket QB like Riley seem bound and determined to turn him into.

And if a coach is not going to heave it up 35.5 times a game, there are other things an offense can do than run between the tackles. There are also other things a coaching staff can do than to attempt toss sweeps to slow, 235# running backs who has really only had success running between the tackles. The play selection is at times baffling.

• Fire 1

My problem is not with Tommy. I think he is great when used as a zone read QB. He is just not a good pro-style pocket QB like Riley seem bound and determined to turn him into.

And if a coach is not going to heave it up 35.5 times a game, there are other things an offense can do than run between the tackles. There are also other things a coaching staff can do than to attempt toss sweeps to slow, 235# running backs who has really only had success running between the tackles. The play selection is at times baffling.

I'm actually liking Tommy - and the Nebraska offense - being out of the zone read this season. Those plays have been replaced with run/pass rollout options and designed QB play-action draws. I get the feeling the zone read is being phased out elsewhere, too, as defenses have made the adjustment.

It's kinda funny how the coaching staff is being criticized for relentlessly calling toss sweeps to Imani Cross, when in fact they've been using him effectively between the tackles.They've also mixed it up with speedier Terrell Newby in certain situations, and revived the fullback as both lead blocker and situational runner to great effect and - one would think - great joy at Nebraska. They regularly call successful jet sweeps to Alonzo Moore in the absence of the guy who was supposed to be our best offensive weapon, DeMornay Pierson-El. They pitched the ball to a tight end, who ran for a 30 yard touchdown. They've called QB draws and bootlegs and let Tommy work both shotgun and under center. If all you've noticed is toss sweeps to Imani Cross, I'm not sure we've been watching the same games.

Don't worry. You can still criticize the coaching. Whenever they do something that works, just say "it's about damn time!"

• Fire 2

They have averaged 7.6 yards per passing attempt, and 4.7 yards per rushing attempt.

That's just the nature of football. YPP averages are generally going to be higher than YPR.

We're 40th nationally in YPR, and 46th nationally in YPP. So, we're not especially good at either, but slightly better at running. It's patently obvious we've been better off this season when we've made a real effort at getting the ground game going instead of slinging it around 50 times.

There's no question I'd take more rushing plays than passing plays with those averages because it keeps the clock churning and in turn keeps our defense on the bench longer.

• Fire 1

It's patently obvious we've been better off this season when we've made a real effort at getting the ground game going instead of slinging it around 50 times.

I don't think that's obvious at all. I'd say we've had near equal amounts of non-productive spells with an emphasis on running or passing, and explosive spells with an emphasis on both as well. Remember Tommy's second half against Miami?

Every game is different because every defense is different, and defensive coordinators make adjustments so the offensive plays that work in the first quarter don't necessarily work in the third. Coaches and quarterbacks and linemen can see that happening, but the fans don't always see it

Stack the box and even McNeese State can shut down Ameer Abdullah. Rushing fans fondly remember last year's Miami game because Al Golden got freaked out by a couple early Armstrong bombs and refused the stack the box the rest of the game.

Running the ball can certainly keep the clock churning and the defense on the bench, but that's not so good if you're behind on the scoreboard. Our defense has kind of sucked, which also forces the issue.

Nebraska is averaging 36 rushing plays and 35.8 passing plays a game this season. We had almost the exact same play call ratio against Illinois that we did against Michigan State. Again, winning helps the perspective.

For what it's worth, I'd like more and better running plays, too, but we're doing okay.

I'm in no rush to take the ball out of the hands of Jordan Westerkamp, Alonzo Moore and Brandon Riley.

• Fire 1

Every game is different because every defense is different, and defensive coordinators make adjustments so the offensive plays that work in the first quarter don't necessarily work in the third. Coaches and quarterbacks and linemen can see that happening, but the fans don't always see it

Stack the box and even McNeese State can shut down Ameer Abdullah. Rushing fans fondly remember last year's Miami game because Al Golden got freaked out by a couple early Armstrong bombs and refused the stack the box the rest of the game.

Running the ball can certainly keep the clock churning and the defense on the bench, but that's not so good if you're behind on the scoreboard. Our defense has kind of sucked, which also forces the issue.

Nebraska is averaging 36 rushing plays and 35.8 passing plays a game this season. We had almost the exact same play call ratio against Illinois that we did against Michigan State. Again, winning helps the perspective.

For what it's worth, I'd like more and better running plays, too, but we're doing okay.

I'm in no rush to take the ball out of the hands of Jordan Westerkamp, Alonzo Moore and Brandon Riley.

Out of nothing more than sheer curiosity, why do you think Osborne, in a rare moment spent with Riley, specifically mentioned running the ball?

It's patently obvious we've been better off this season when we've made a real effort at getting the ground game going instead of slinging it around 50 times.

I don't think that's obvious at all. I'd say we've had near equal amounts of non-productive spells with an emphasis on running or passing, and explosive spells with an emphasis on both as well. Remember Tommy's second half against Miami?

I think it is fair to say when the run game has been successful they've been a lot better off. I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Huskers have ever won a game where TA threw more than 40 times. I can't look up the stats right now, though. If they have won it has to be fairly rare occurrence or a low percentage.

We seem to be at our best when we're only asking TA to throw 20-30 times a game, and that (I would think) tends to suggest the ground game was effective.

I could be off because like I said I can't look up the stats right now, but based on memory, this sounds corrects.

My problem is not with Tommy. I think he is great when used as a zone read QB. He is just not a good pro-style pocket QB like Riley seem bound and determined to turn him into.

I'm actually liking Tommy - and the Nebraska offense - being out of the zone read this season. Those plays have been replaced with run/pass rollout options and designed QB play-action draws. I get the feeling the zone read is being phased out elsewhere, too, as defenses have made the adjustment.

It's kinda funny how the coaching staff is being criticized for relentlessly calling toss sweeps to Imani Cross, when in fact they've been using him effectively between the tackles.They've also mixed it up with speedier Terrell Newby in certain situations, and revived the fullback as both lead blocker and situational runner to great effect and - one would think - great joy at Nebraska. They regularly call successful jet sweeps to Alonzo Moore in the absence of the guy who was supposed to be our best offensive weapon, DeMornay Pierson-El. They pitched the ball to a tight end, who ran for a 30 yard touchdown. They've called QB draws and bootlegs and let Tommy work both shotgun and under center. If all you've noticed is toss sweeps to Imani Cross, I'm not sure we've been watching the same games.

Don't worry. You can still criticize the coaching. Whenever they do something that works, just say "it's about damn time!"

It's not that the coaching staff is "relentlessly calling toss sweeps" to Imani...it's that they EVER call a toss sweep to Imani. Have these mental midgets ever watched him run? I know they have been with this team since January, yet they act as if they don't understand any of the player's strengths and weaknesses at all.

It's not just those calls though. Even when it seems like the coaches have a moment of clarity and call a few plays that make sense...they revert to their old ways go straight into drive killer mode. It is absolutely the most predictable and frustrating thing I have ever seen.

However, it seems that you are just an eternal ray of sunshine when it comes to Riley and this staff and if you can watch this crap and keep up this positive demeanor, then good for you. I just think we fans deserve better.

Out of nothing more than sheer curiosity, why do you think Osborne, in a rare moment spent with Riley, specifically mentioned running the ball?

Why wouldn't he? He won three national titles with a power run game that set up the play action pass. I would be surprised if Osborne didn't mention running the ball.

Otoh, I honestly don't get why Osborne is so run oriented. The Huskers won 2 national titles and at least 4 conference titles with his pro-style offense and sent 3 qb's to the NFL.

What did he specifically mention about running the ball?

That it's a good idea?

I think we all agree on that.

If we run the ball exactly as much as we pass the ball, it's really hard to argue that we've abandon the run. I think we all agree it would be swell to run more often, and better. That seems to be happening a bit as the personnel continues to shake out.

But Tom didn't find himself trailing in games very often, nor did he have a mediocre offensive line, or a terrible defense, or running backs who won't crack an All-Conference team.

Saying we should run the ball more often than half the time sounds good, I guess, but it's not as simple as declaring your intention to do so, which generally results in your per carry average getting slammed.

Fun fact: this utterly clueless offense Riley and Langsdorf insist on running is currently #1 in Total Offense and #2 in scoring in the Big 10.

Actually Nebraska has one more game's worth of total yardage, so Ohio State and Indiana are slightly ahead of Nebraska's 443 yards per game.

In Tom Osborne's 25 year career, 443 yards per game would have fit in nicely.

On his national championship teams we had tons of yards and points and a smashmouth defense and it was pretty awesome.

Fun fact: this utterly clueless offense Riley and Langsdorf insist on running is currently #1 in Total Offense and #2 in scoring in the Big 10.

That fact is fun. But not much more.

Mike Leach offenses traditionally scored a lot of points. But he's not exactly known as a championship caliber coach.