White Student Union

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/11/25/white-student-union-facebook-pages-spread-nationwide/76360120/

More campuses are getting involved in the White Student Union movement. I am not supportive of many involved with black lives matter, including many of its members chanting that they want dead cops, but I think a more appropriate opposition group would pull members of various races and be titled "All lives matter." It's ridiculous to me that the Democratic candidates running for President would not come out and say "All lives matter" at one of their debates for fear of losing votes.

That's because some of them did come out and say "All lives matter" and got heavily criticized for it.

The people pushing for "Black lives matter" say "All lives matter" is just people trying to be ignorant of the problem.

This isn't my argument. I'm merely presenting the side as to why the mantra "All lives matter" has come under heat. Here's a brief link.

LINK

It's coming under heat by leftist extremists who want to push their agenda and criticize anyone who agrees that we should be focused on helping all lives, black, white, Hispanic, asian, and even the unborn. What if we had a Hispanic Lives matter movement...how might these same candidates answer whether Black or Hispanic Lives matter is more appropriate.

The point of #BlackLivesMatter speaks to a reality where if you counter with saying #AllLivesMatter, it's akin to going to a breast cancer anonymous group and yelling, "THERE ARE OTHER DISEASES TOO!" or going to a funeral and proclaiming, "I, TOO, HAVE EXPERIENCED LOSS"

Umm...but everyone's life does matter, and it's not a competition to see who has had the worst upbringing or challenges to go through in life. I have white friends that have had massive struggles in life due to health issues but also to abuse, and many of these challenges cross racial and ethnic lines. To single out one race and suggest other races suffering is not as important does not pass the common sense test for most Americans. Blacks who are continuing to play the victim card in the 21st century when we have a black President and have seen so many blacks have success actually goes against everything that prior generations in the civil rights movement stood for. I'm not saying there are not cases of racism still present in this country, whether its whites against blacks, blacks against whites, or some combination of other races...it's there, and always will be. But if the black community really want to improve the lives for all blacks, their energy would be better directed at understanding the root cause of why blacks have a higher percentage of poverty and unemployment, why so more black households are without fathers, etc...

• Fire 2

The point of #BlackLivesMatter speaks to a reality where if you counter with saying #AllLivesMatter, it's akin to going to a breast cancer anonymous group and yelling, "THERE ARE OTHER DISEASES TOO!" or going to a funeral and proclaiming, "I, TOO, HAVE EXPERIENCED LOSS"

Umm...but everyone's life does matter, and it's not a competition to see who has had the worst upbringing or challenges to go through in life. I have white friends that have had massive struggles in life due to health issues but also to abuse, and many of these challenges cross racial and ethnic lines. To single out one race and suggest other races suffering is not as important does not pass the common sense test for most Americans. Blacks who are continuing to play the victim card in the 21st century when we have a black President and have seen so many blacks have success actually goes against everything that prior generations in the civil rights movement stood for. I'm not saying there are not cases of racism still present in this country, whether its whites against blacks, blacks against whites, or some combination of other races...it's there, and always will be. But if the black community really want to improve the lives for all blacks, their energy would be better directed at understanding the root cause of why blacks have a higher percentage of poverty and unemployment, why so more black households are without fathers, etc...

The point isn't to say only black lives matter. It's to draw attention to negative issues they face at a far greater rate than do non minorities. The all lives matter sh#t is stupid. That's a given that doesn't need to be stated. People who are blind to the fact that blacks face things that whites don't (at a much greater rate) are being willfully ignorant. To deny it is to deny facts.

Listing off a few successes like Obama is something called anecdotal evidence. Unfortunately, successful blacks are an anomaly. And they undoubtedly face more racism than their white counterparts.

All of this is not to say there aren't idiots involved with that organization.

• Fire 2

The people pushing for "Black lives matter" say "All lives matter" is just people trying to be ignorant of the problem.

This isn't my argument. I'm merely presenting the side as to why the mantra "All lives matter" has come under heat. Here's a brief link.

LINK

That's a great link and very well stated (emphasis mine):

The best explanation we’ve seen so far comes from Reddit, of all places. Earlier this week, in an “Explain Like I’m 5” thread, user GeekAesthete explained, clearly and succinctly, why changing #BlackLivesMatter to #AllLivesMatter is an act of erasure that makes lots of people cringe.

And so saying “all lives matter” as a direct response to “black lives matter” is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.

To single out one race and suggest other races suffering is not as important does not pass the common sense test for most Americans.

Here's the thing. They aren't suggesting other people don't suffer or are less important. The #AllLivesMatter response is insecurity, projecting that suggestion. Nobody is actually suggesting that white/brown/yellow/red/rainbow lives DON'T matter. That's why I gave the analogies I did. Having a cancer benefit focuses on cancer, because cancer sucks, but that does not suggest that ALS or Parkinson's or a million other diseases are less important.

Saying all lives matter in itself is no problem because of course they do. If you said that in 2012 everyone would go, "um.......duh." But now it's said as a deliberate response to #BlackLivesMatter, which is literally directly trying to tell people that inequality doesn't exist and to dismiss/silence the claims that there are specific problems in the african-american community that don't exist in others.

When someone says "Save the Rain Forest", they aren't suggesting, "f#*k every other kind of forest."

When people remember 9/11 you don't say, "Yeah but, #AllTragediesMatter!"

The founding fathers writing, "All men are created equal" while owning slaves is kinda like........oh sh#t. That's essentially like #AllLivesMatter

When people celebrate the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling, others didn't say, "But why aren't you celebrating ALL marriage being legal"

Saying "Pray for Paris" doesn't mean "DO NOT pray for other countries!"

• Fire 4

To single out one race and suggest other races suffering is not as important does not pass the common sense test for most Americans.

Here's the thing. They aren't suggesting other people don't suffer or are less important. The #AllLivesMatter response is insecurity, projecting that suggestion. Nobody is actually suggesting that white/brown/yellow/red/rainbow lives DON'T matter. That's why I gave the analogies I did. Having a cancer benefit focuses on cancer, because cancer sucks, but that does not suggest that ALS or Parkinson's or a million other diseases are less important.

Saying all lives matter in itself is no problem because of course they do. If you said that in 2012 everyone would go, "um.......duh." But now it's said as a deliberate response to #BlackLivesMatter, which is literally directly trying to tell people that inequality doesn't exist and to dismiss/silence the claims that there are specific problems in the african-american community that don't exist in others.

When someone says "Save the Rain Forest", they aren't suggesting, "f#*k every other kind of forest."

When people remember 9/11 you don't say, "Yeah but, #AllTragediesMatter!"

The founding fathers writing, "All men are created equal" while owning slaves is kinda like........oh sh#t. That's essentially like #AllLivesMatter

When people celebrate the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling, others didn't say, "But why aren't you celebrating ALL marriage being legal"

Saying "Pray for Paris" doesn't mean "DO NOT pray for other countries!"

These are the same progressive talking points that I can find on sites like Huffington Post, Thing Progress, etc... Perhaps the name of the movement needs to be changed then, because singling out one race that matters and stating others do not is racist in and of itself. So if there was a "white lives matter" movement you would be ok with that because it's "not saying that other lives do not matter?" To me we are all Americans and the Progressive/Obama approach of pitting people against each other, whether it's along racial lines, or based upon socioeconomic status, has increased the division in this country. Numerous polls in the past year have shown that racial tensions are much worse. Additionally, polls show that most blacks do not agree with the black lives matter movement, which again puts the BLM movement as a fringe progressive movement. In fact, most blacks believe those pushing this agenda are doing so in order to earn votes, and the Democrats for years have been pandering to the black community to get votes, despite producing results for the black community. I think you will start to see more blacks move away from the Democratic party over time as they realize that black lives are not improving under Democratic leadership, whether it's at the national level, or in many of the major cities in the US under Democratic leadership.

http://www.infowars.com/poll-only-31-of-african-americans-identify-with-blacklivesmatter/

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/august_2015/black_lives_matter_or_all_lives_matter

I do think there are issues in the black community, and those issues have gotten far worse under Obama, and I really think they should be taking their protests to 1600 Pennsylvania avenue. Black unemployment and poverty is much worse under Obama...there is more black on black violence since Obama has been in office. Progressive policies are not helping the black community.

Before I post this, I want to say that the video released of the Chicago shooting is absolutely disgusting and disturbing. That police officer needs to be thrown in prison for the longest possible sentence for murder.

I found this article interesting. I don't think I took away from it what the author wanted me to take away from it. I took away from this article how the police are in a no win situation here. So....they both over police and under police the same community. Crimes happen and they arrest someone. I guess that is oppressive. However, when a murder happens and the entire community shuts up and nobody is willing to help the police or even call the police, that is...."inadequate" policing.

LINK

There is wrong happening on both sides of this issue. People can point to the police all they want and claim they are the problem. But, there is blame on both sides and until both sides address the issues, nothing will change.

• Fire 1

Before I post this, I want to say that the video released of the Chicago shooting is absolutely disgusting and disturbing. That police officer needs to be thrown in prison for the longest possible sentence for murder.

I found this article interesting. I don't think I took away from it what the author wanted me to take away from it. I took away from this article how the police are in a no win situation here. So....they both over police and under police the same community. Crimes happen and they arrest someone. I guess that is oppressive. However, when a murder happens and the entire community shuts up and nobody is willing to help the police or even call the police, that is...."inadequate" policing.

LINK

There is wrong happening on both sides of this issue. People can point to the police all they want and claim they are the problem. But, there is blame on both sides and until both sides address the issues, nothing will change.

You are exactly right that what the cop did in Chicago was disgusting, and he deserves to be punished. And the reality is that the majority of Americans are exercising common sense and realize there are a few bad cops out there, and there are plenty of gang members and thugs that try to attack cops. Both sides need to cool down the rhetoric, but here is one distinct difference I see between the two movements:

1. Black Lives Matter members on multiple occasions have organized protests chanting that they want dead cops now. Seriously, this has happened on more than one occasion. So their propaganda is to encourage others to kill cops.

2. On the contrary, I have not seen protests supporting cops that suggest they should go out and kill others, especially blacks. If someone can point me to an organized protest where this happened, I'm all ears.

Perhaps the name of the movement needs to be changed then, because singling out one race that matters and stating others do not is racist in and of itself.

NOONE IS SAYING OTHER RACES DON'T MATTER.

Well that is what is implied by the title of this movement. So I guess we should just have additional movements called "Hispanic Lives Matter," "White lives matter," and "Asian lives matter?" It's comical to me that Progressives claim to own the rights to be the movement for diversity and inclusion, yet they are adamant about pitting races against each other to stir up conflict.

Perhaps the name of the movement needs to be changed then, because singling out one race that matters and stating others do not is racist in and of itself.

NOONE IS SAYING OTHER RACES DON'T MATTER.

Well that is what is implied by the title of this movement. So I guess we should just have additional movements called "Hispanic Lives Matter," "White lives matter," and "Asian lives matter?" It's comical to me that Progressives claim to own the rights to be the movement for diversity and inclusion, yet they are adamant about pitting races against each other to stir up conflict.

No, it isn't. What is implied by the title is that Black lives don't always seem to matter and it needs to change.

This is a great explanation from the reddit thread that zoogs linked. Please read with an open mind.

Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share." And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, "everyone should get their fair share." Now, that's a wonderful sentiment -- indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad's smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn't solve the problem that you still haven't gotten any!
The problem is that the statement "I should get my fair share" had an implicit "too" at the end: "I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else." But your dad's response treated your statement as though you meant "only I should get my fair share", which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that "everyone should get their fair share," while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.
That's the situation of the "black lives matter" movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.
The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn't work the way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn't want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That's not made up out of whole cloth -- there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it's generally not considered "news", while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate -- young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don't treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don't pay as much attention to certain people's deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don't treat all lives as though they matter equally.
Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: it's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.
TL;DR: The phrase "Black lives matter" carries an implicit "too" at the end; it's saying that black lives should also matter. Saying "all lives matter" is dismissing the very problems that the phrase is trying to draw attention to.

This is a great explanation from the reddit thread that zoogs linked. Please read with an open mind.

Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share." And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, "everyone should get their fair share." Now, that's a wonderful sentiment -- indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad's smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn't solve the problem that you still haven't gotten any!
The problem is that the statement "I should get my fair share" had an implicit "too" at the end: "I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else." But your dad's response treated your statement as though you meant "only I should get my fair share", which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that "everyone should get their fair share," while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.
That's the situation of the "black lives matter" movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.
The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn't work the way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn't want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That's not made up out of whole cloth -- there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it's generally not considered "news", while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate -- young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don't treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don't pay as much attention to certain people's deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don't treat all lives as though they matter equally.
Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: it's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.
TL;DR: The phrase "Black lives matter" carries an implicit "too" at the end; it's saying that black lives should also matter. Saying "all lives matter" is dismissing the very problems that the phrase is trying to draw attention to.

With all due respect, I did read that thread before making that last post and simply do not agree with the movement as well as what I've seen from some of its protesters chanting for dead cops, while many other leading members of that movement refused to condemn those making such chants. I will side with the high majority of Americans that do believe "all lives matter" and that we should not call out "blacks" in such a title.

LINK

You are exactly right that what the cop did in Chicago was disgusting, and he deserves to be punished. And the reality is that the majority of Americans are exercising common sense and realize there are a few bad cops out there, and there are plenty of gang members and thugs that try to attack cops. Both sides need to cool down the rhetoric, but here is one distinct difference I see between the two movements:

1. Black Lives Matter members on multiple occasions have organized protests chanting that they want dead cops now. Seriously, this has happened on more than one occasion. So their propaganda is to encourage others to kill cops.

2. On the contrary, I have not seen protests supporting cops that suggest they should go out and kill others, especially blacks. If someone can point me to an organized protest where this happened, I'm all ears.

I think you need to provide some hard proof as to your "1." assertion. There is nowhere within the BLM mission(as per their website) statement or their activity that advocates the harming or killing of cops.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

What appears to be happening to me is that there are other anti cop groups out there coopting the BLM slogan. Yes, there are groups out there that want to harm cops, but BLM is not categorically not that group.