White Student Union

Created Wednesday after a protest sympathetic to Black Lives Matter, the page declared itself “for white students of University of Illinois to be able to form a community and discuss our own issues as well as be able to organize against the terrorism we have been facing from Black Lives Matter activists on campus,” as the Daily Illini reported.

I can't say I support this White Student Union thing. But is it any worse than the BLM movement? They're getting together to TALK about the terrorism of the BLM protesters. Terrorism you ask? What's that all about? Let me add this to the conversation:

At a number of campuses across Missouri BLM protesters sought out and vandalized the cars of white students. They weren't the cars of racist white students. The vandalized cars belonged to random college students who happened to be white. If the BLM protesters saw a white student park their car in a university lot, they'd wait until the student went inside. And then they'd vandalize it. A freshman student from my hometown had BLM protesters break the window to get into her car, break off the knobs and plastic parts from inside the car, steal the battery, pour something into the engine that damaged the engine, and steal stuff out of the trunk. They basically ruined her car. She's working her way through college and can't afford a new car. And she wasn't the only one who had her car damaged. She told me that dozens of cars parked in the university lots at this Missouri University got damaged in the same way by BLM protesters. (fyi, It wasn't Mizzou.) I'm not sure that I would label the car vandalism as terrorism. But it was certainly criminal behavior. And oddly, the media didn't report anything at all about it. Not even a little blurb in the local paper or the school newspaper.

btw, That college student whose car was vandalized is a liberal democrat active in campus politics. She was very sympathetic to the BLM movement. That is, until they destroyed her car. She's not so sympathetic now.

Should be easy to locate when they do form the "White" student union: just look for the swastika on the front of the building...

What if the white college freshman who had her car destroyed (along with dozens of others) wants to discuss how to avoid problems like this in the future? Does that make her a Nazi?

Well, I think the counter argument to this would be what someone posted up above. White people are typically over-represented in positive aspects of society and underrepresented in the negative ones. As such, if a white student had her car destroyed, she already has outlets she can go to in order to make herself feel comfortable. If a black student was the target of an obvious racial attack they may not feel the same way.

"White" only groups or "white" only student unions are inherently seen as racist and exclusive, where as black only equivalents would be seen as a place for black people to feel safe and understood.

On paper, is it fair? Absolutely not. However, it would be unjust for anyone to suggest that all races have equivalence in this country. (Not that you're suggesting this, of course. Just speaking in general terms.) Affirmative action, race-specific groups... they're like moss cultures. Society created the injustices that allowed the problems to expand and grow, which means the parts of society that felt slanted took steps to gain better footing.

I'm not sure what those outlets would be. But I hope they are within walking distance. She doesn't have a car now.

• Fire 3

Created Wednesday after a protest sympathetic to Black Lives Matter, the page declared itself “for white students of University of Illinois to be able to form a community and discuss our own issues as well as be able to organize against the terrorism we have been facing from Black Lives Matter activists on campus,” as the Daily Illini reported.

I can't say I support this White Student Union thing. But is it any worse than the BLM movement? They're getting together to TALK about the terrorism of the BLM protesters. Terrorism you ask? What's that all about? Let me add this to the conversation:

At a number of campuses across Missouri BLM protesters sought out and vandalized the cars of white students. They weren't the cars of racist white students. The vandalized cars belonged to random college students who happened to be white. If the BLM protesters saw a white student park their car in a university lot, they'd wait until the student went inside. And then they'd vandalize it. A freshman student from my hometown had BLM protesters break the window to get into her car, break off the knobs and plastic parts from inside the car, steal the battery, pour something into the engine that damaged the engine, and steal stuff out of the trunk. They basically ruined her car. She's working her way through college and can't afford a new car. And she wasn't the only one who had her car damaged. She told me that dozens of cars parked in the university lots at this Missouri University got damaged in the same way by BLM protesters. (fyi, It wasn't Mizzou.) I'm not sure that I would label the car vandalism as terrorism. But it was certainly criminal behavior. And oddly, the media didn't report anything at all about it. Not even a little blurb in the local paper or the school newspaper.

btw, That college student whose car was vandalized is a liberal democrat active in campus politics. She was very sympathetic to the BLM movement. That is, until they destroyed her car. She's not so sympathetic now.

Should be easy to locate when they do form the "White" student union: just look for the swastika on the front of the building...

What if the white college freshman who had her car destroyed (along with dozens of others) wants to discuss how to avoid problems like this in the future? Does that make her a Nazi?

Well, I think the counter argument to this would be what someone posted up above. White people are typically over-represented in positive aspects of society and underrepresented in the negative ones. As such, if a white student had her car destroyed, she already has outlets she can go to in order to make herself feel comfortable. If a black student was the target of an obvious racial attack they may not feel the same way.

"White" only groups or "white" only student unions are inherently seen as racist and exclusive, where as black only equivalents would be seen as a place for black people to feel safe and understood.

On paper, is it fair? Absolutely not. However, it would be unjust for anyone to suggest that all races have equivalence in this country. (Not that you're suggesting this, of course. Just speaking in general terms.) Affirmative action, race-specific groups... they're like moss cultures. Society created the injustices that allowed the problems to expand and grow, which means the parts of society that felt slanted took steps to gain better footing.

I guess I thought, call me old fashioned, that a student union is the place on campus open and available to all of the student body to hang out and what not. Do they have multiple student unions now?

Red Lining:

n the United States, redlining is the practice of denying services, either directly or through selectively raising prices, to residents of certain areas based on the racial or ethnic makeups of those areas. While some of the most famous examples of redlining regard denying financial services such as banking or insurance,[2] other services such as health care [3] or even supermarkets,[4] can be denied to residents to carry out redlining.[5] The term "redlining" was coined in the late 1960s by John McKnight, a sociologist and community activist.[6] It refers to the practice of marking a red line on a map to delineate the area where banks would not invest; later the term was applied to discrimination against a particular group of people (usually by race or sex) irrespective of geography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

I really don't care if anyone likes that, it's getting old with one group being more important than another and people telling me I'm racist because I'm white and I'm supposed to have this "white privilege" everyone talks about. Still waiting for it to come around and hand me everything I'm "supposed" to have because I'm white. Still have to work my ass for everything I've gotten in life, no one has handed me anything despite what some groups think.

Did you grow up with both parents in a stable household? Did they buy your first car? Maybe help you with your college tuition? Have you applied for jobs with an anglo-saxon sounding name? Have you ever felt fear for your life or safety walking through your neighborhood, as a kid or an adult? Has anyone ever negatively stereotyped you because of the clothes you wear?

These are all subtle examples of how privilege plays out. Privilege isn't a binary, yes or no thing, as in whites have it and blacks don't - everyone has certain privilege, and everyone has certain disadvantages. The reality is, though, that overall, generally, white people have much MORE privilege. That's not your fault. You don't have to apologize for it. But it's pretty arrogant to pretend that you are a completely self-made man and not at least in some respects a product of your positive environment.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I saw earlier today that there was a push to form a "White Student Union" at the University of Illinois after increases in black protest on that campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/20/white-student-union-challenges-black-lives-matter-at-university-of-illinois/

From the little I have read, I'm not sure the approach taken by whoever is posting this suggestion makes sense, but I do wonder if we will see some groups opposed to all the Black Lives Matter groups (or similar) start to get active on college campuses. The U of I administration condemned the White Student Union and has contacted facebook multiple times to have it removed.

Speaking of Black Lives Matters, I see that our great chancellor, Harvey, sent out a note the other day talking about how great Black Lives Matter is, and encouraged everyone to participate in their rally, and that he would be there too. Now I wonder if there was a White Student Union or some other opposition group if Harvey would endorse it and attend as well. I mean, there could be white students that feel there is too high of a percentage of blacks on the football team or in other major sports relative to the national racial percentages, and that there must be equity in that regard. I don't believe in giving any group special treatment and believe the best person should get the job/position.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be more to come on this, especially if it continues or builds steam.

No, and it would be stupid if he did. Whites don't need to form their own special group to get their voices heard. They're over represented in pretty much every positive category you can think of, and underrepresented in the negative ones.

how are the whites under represented in the negative category wise?

I'm assuming you're joking but if not I'll mention one:

Poverty rate

10% of Whites are in poverty. 27% of Blacks, 24% of Hispanics. It's a problem for Whites but not near as much of one as it is for Blacks or Hispanics. They have much more reason to try to have their voices heard to try to get the problem fixed. Perhaps I should have said comparatively since ideally there would be 0% poverty rate.

I really don't care if anyone likes that, it's getting old with one group being more important than another and people telling me I'm racist because I'm white and I'm supposed to have this "white privilege" everyone talks about. Still waiting for it to come around and hand me everything I'm "supposed" to have because I'm white. Still have to work my ass for everything I've gotten in life, no one has handed me anything despite what some groups think.

Did you grow up with both parents in a stable household? Did they buy your first car? Maybe help you with your college tuition? Have you applied for jobs with an anglo-saxon sounding name? Have you ever felt fear for your life or safety walking through your neighborhood, as a kid or an adult? Has anyone ever negatively stereotyped you because of the clothes you wear?

These are all subtle examples of how privilege plays out. Privilege isn't a binary, yes or no thing, as in whites have it and blacks don't - everyone has certain privilege, and everyone has certain disadvantages. The reality is, though, that overall, generally, white people have much MORE privilege. That's not your fault. You don't have to apologize for it. But it's pretty arrogant to pretend that you are a completely self-made man and not at least in some respects a product of your positive environment.

If you listen to any of those black talk radio shows, a good deal of the time the subject is how to deal with police brutality and incarceration. It's a constant theme. Bad schools and lack of jobs in inner cities round out the bill.

I'm not sure what those outlets would be. But I hope they are within walking distance. She doesn't have a car now.

Flip the tables and put a black person in her shoes, the victim of a racially charged incident involving a white person who destroyed her car. Does that black student feel as comfortable approaching police, approaching the university, approaching anyone to talk about what happened or figure out a solution?

The answer, more often than not, is no in my opinion. That was my point.

I guess I thought, call me old fashioned, that a student union is the place on campus open and available to all of the student body to hang out and what not. Do they have multiple student unions now?

That is my understanding of what a student union is, as well. I'm not sure what the extent of this white student union would be.

Flip the tables and put a black person in her shoes, the victim of a racially charged incident involving a white person who destroyed her car. Does that black student feel as comfortable approaching police, approaching the university, approaching anyone to talk about what happened or figure out a solution?

Why would a black student feel uncomfortable reporting a crime? At Mizzou some drunken white racist asshat yelled a racial epithet. The black students there had no problem reporting it to the police, did they? And when the campus cop didn't act fast enough they began protesting. It eventually led to the Mizzou President being ousted. So riddle me this: Which is worse, having someone call you a naughty racist name--or having someone vandalize your car to the point of ruin because of the color of your skin? Why didn't the media report on the dozens of white students' cars that got vandalized?

• Fire 1

Why would a black student feel uncomfortable reporting a crime? At Mizzou some drunken white racist asshat yelled a racial epithet. The black students there had no problem reporting it to the police, did they? And when the campus cop didn't act fast enough they began protesting. It eventually led to the Mizzou President being ousted. So riddle me this: Which is worse, having someone call you a naughty racist name--or having someone vandalize your car to the point of ruin because of the color of your skin? Why didn't the media report on the dozens of white students' cars that got vandalized?

I guess this would be a matter of perspective - in my opinion, the trust between black people and police is not the same as between white people and police. And, I believe it's naive to suggest that black people and white people are on an even playing field when it comes to the police and the opinions shared between these parties. The massive amounts of protests over the last couple of years are evidence enough of this.

To answer you, Riddler, both are unacceptable and I don't think it's correct to say one is better than the other. The car clearly holds more monetary value, but the emotional impact from both of those things can be devastating for some.

As to why the media didn't report it, I don't have your answer. The media is not a magic 8-ball that knows all. If police never shared the information or they never received a tip about it, how would they know?

I've talked with you until I'm blue in the face. You've asked me these same questions before and I'm not answering them again. No matter my position you've argued with it. We don't see eye to eye on literally anything. And I knew police brutality would get mentioned in this thread. Predictable and not surprising. The police brutality movement has went it's course, time to find a new movement to ride into the ground people.

I've talked with you until I'm blue in the face. You've asked me these same questions before and I'm not answering them again. No matter my position you've argued with it.

It's not like you keep changing your position, and I intentionally pick the opposite one just to spite you. Your position is consistent, and so is mine. I think it's pretty foolish to think that you earned everything you've ever accomplished in life 100% without any benefit from your upbringing or your community or hundreds of other factors.

It's fine if you don't agree with me, but actually ask yourself, is the kid that grew up with a single crack-addicted mom in project housing getting a terrible education from a poor school district entirely to blame for not having a good job, good mental health and a consistent, comfortable life? People are created equal but they are born into drastically unequal circumstances.

• Fire 2

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I saw earlier today that there was a push to form a "White Student Union" at the University of Illinois after increases in black protest on that campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/20/white-student-union-challenges-black-lives-matter-at-university-of-illinois/

From the little I have read, I'm not sure the approach taken by whoever is posting this suggestion makes sense, but I do wonder if we will see some groups opposed to all the Black Lives Matter groups (or similar) start to get active on college campuses. The U of I administration condemned the White Student Union and has contacted facebook multiple times to have it removed.

Speaking of Black Lives Matters, I see that our great chancellor, Harvey, sent out a note the other day talking about how great Black Lives Matter is, and encouraged everyone to participate in their rally, and that he would be there too. Now I wonder if there was a White Student Union or some other opposition group if Harvey would endorse it and attend as well. I mean, there could be white students that feel there is too high of a percentage of blacks on the football team or in other major sports relative to the national racial percentages, and that there must be equity in that regard. I don't believe in giving any group special treatment and believe the best person should get the job/position.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be more to come on this, especially if it continues or builds steam.

No, and it would be stupid if he did. Whites don't need to form their own special group to get their voices heard. They're over represented in pretty much every positive category you can think of, and underrepresented in the negative ones.

how are the whites under represented in the negative category wise?

I'm assuming you're joking but if not I'll mention one:

Poverty rate

10% of Whites are in poverty. 27% of Blacks, 24% of Hispanics. It's a problem for Whites but not near as much of one as it is for Blacks or Hispanics. They have much more reason to try to have their voices heard to try to get the problem fixed. Perhaps I should have said comparatively since ideally there would be 0% poverty rate.

yes that would of made more sense. I have to edit this. im not sure why that post makes me feel you think whites being under represented in the poverty category is a negative??

Edited by man eating mastodon

I've talked with you until I'm blue in the face. You've asked me these same questions before and I'm not answering them again. No matter my position you've argued with it.

It's not like you keep changing your position, and I intentionally pick the opposite one just to spite you. Your position is consistent, and so is mine. I think it's pretty foolish to think that you earned everything you've ever accomplished in life 100% without any benefit from your upbringing or your community or hundreds of other factors.

It's fine if you don't agree with me, but actually ask yourself, is the kid that grew up with a single crack-addicted mom in project housing getting a terrible education from a poor school district entirely to blame for not having a good job, good mental health and a consistent, comfortable life? People are created equal but they are born into drastically unequal circumstances.

Even for those of us who worked at jobs and paid our own way through school?

• Fire 2

Even for those of us who worked at jobs and paid our own way through school?

Yes, even you guys :)

That is unless you were fully responsible for getting yourself ready for kindergarten and seeing to it that you got yourself there everyday. Also making sure you did your own shopping at a store not called Goodwill. Getting yourself seen by a family physician and not a convenient clinic. I believe it is also likely that someone read you bedtime stories and made sure you got your homework done. I'm making a huge assumption that responsibilty was effectively modeled for you to put you in a position to work and pay for your own school. Congrats to you, and also congrats to your parents for "giving" and "helping" throughout your formative years.

That said, there are families of all colors and creeds who are poor and unable to provide good parenting; either by choice or circumstance. But countless studies have shown that those families are far less likely to be white and more likely to be a minority. Yes, it is socio-economic. Being poor is hard! But why are white people less likely to be poor? Are white people smarter, bigger, stronger, faster than their minorty counterparts?

(Nuance: "you" doesn't mean you exclusively. It includes all of us that worked and payed, in my case still paying, our own tuition and bills)