Scott Frost to UCF

Only 3 HCs since 1970 have won a national championship as external hires with no HC experience. Stoops, McCartney, Dooley.

I'm blinded by at least one glaring omission in your list.... oh, wait, you're doing some weird, convoluted carve out of "internal hires."

Let's get a little more straight forward and tally the number who took a over a winning team, registered a sub. 500 record in their first season, and went on to win a NC.

I was just adding something to enhance and stump's conversation. Nothing weird about it. 1st time HCs that are external hires don't win many championships.

As for the 2nd paragraph, it has nothing to do with this conversation. But feel free to do that research yourself.

It's easy research: 0.

And it's very relevant to the conversation about who might be qualified or positioned to win an NC based on experience and results.

And winning 3 NC in the past 30 years, during which time there have only been about 20 different ones, many of whom were also first time HCs but hired from within, is actually a fairly high percentage.

See enhance's post above. We're talking about Frost being a 1st time HC. Not Riley here. Take that sh#t to the countless other threads about him.

And last I checked 2015 minus 1970 is 45 years.

How many diff coaches have won NCs during that time?

My rough/quick count put it somewhere around 35. Maybe a shy under.

So, going by Red Five's stat, ~10 percent of coaches since 1970 have won a national title as an external hire with no HC experience. A relatively small minority.

However, using your argument about coaches who took a winning team, registered a sub.500 record in their first season and went on to win a NC, almost every coordinator in this country would be more qualified than Riley under that interpretation. That's an argument you'll find yourself on a very lonely island with.

Nobody wants to argue with you about why Riley is not a good hire for Nebraska. You've polluted several threads with this same discussion already. Continue it there.

35 looks high, as, off the top of my head, at least Osborne, Switzer, Devaney, Saban, Bowden and Meyer all won multiple NCs. About half of NC winners were promoted from within as first time HCs (guess we should have retained Solich).

Your entire argument that first time HCs hired to external teams is so tortured that it doesn't even stand up to minimal scrutiny.

It's a meaningless fact. There's no doubt frost would be 1000000x the hire that Riley was.

If we had leaders at NU, we would quickly fire this average staff and go after Frost for countless reasons.

• Fire 1

Only 3 HCs since 1970 have won a national championship as external hires with no HC experience. Stoops, McCartney, Dooley.

I'm blinded by at least one glaring omission in your list.... oh, wait, you're doing some weird, convoluted carve out of "internal hires."

Let's get a little more straight forward and tally the number who took a over a winning team, registered a sub. 500 record in their first season, and went on to win a NC.

I was just adding something to enhance and stump's conversation. Nothing weird about it. 1st time HCs that are external hires don't win many championships.

As for the 2nd paragraph, it has nothing to do with this conversation. But feel free to do that research yourself.

And it's very relevant to the conversation about who might be qualified or positioned to win an NC based on experience and results.

And winning 3 NC in the past 30 years, during which time there have only been about 20 different ones, many of whom were also first time HCs but hired from within, is actually a fairly high percentage.

See enhance's post above. We're talking about Frost being a 1st time HC. Not Riley here. Take that sh#t to the countless other threads about him.

So, going by Red Five's stat, ~10 percent of coaches since 1970 have won a national title as an external hire with no HC experience. A relatively small minority.

However, using your argument about coaches who took a winning team, registered a sub.500 record in their first season and went on to win a NC, almost every coordinator in this country would be more qualified than Riley under that interpretation. That's an argument you'll find yourself on a very lonely island with.

Nobody wants to argue with you about why Riley is not a good hire for Nebraska. You've polluted several threads with this same discussion already. Continue it there.

35 looks high, as, off the top of my head, at least Osborne, Switzer, Devaney, Saban, Bowden and Meyer all won multiple NCs. About half of NC winners were promoted from within as first time HCs (guess we should have retained Solich).

Your entire argument that first time HCs hired to external teams is so tortured that it doesn't even stand up to minimal scrutiny.

It's a meaningless fact. There's no doubt frost would be 1000000x the hire that Riley was.

If we had leaders at NU, we would quickly fire this average staff and go after Frost for countless reasons.

List the numbers, don't give generalities.

And thanks for polluting about your 100th thread with your anti-Riley agenda. No wonder HuskerMax banned you.

• Fire 4

Do the count yourself before you criticize the numbers. I said about 35, could be a shy under. The fact is most coaches don't win multiple national titles.

And I think you're largely misunderstanding my argument in the first place and/or putting words in my mouth. The facts are that MOST first time head coaches who are external hires do not win national championships at their first head coaching gigs. Is it possible? Yes. Probably? No. That is an indisputable fact that you're trying to break down as if 1+1 does not equal 2.

And yes, there are doubts that Frost would be "1000000x the hire that Riley was." Your continued ignorance of this is as bad as suggesting Mike Riley was the best hire Nebraska could've dreamed for.

• Fire 2

List the numbers, don't give generalities.

And thanks for polluting about your 100th thread with your anti-Riley agenda. No wonder HuskerMax banned you.

Using cm husker's argument...

He's already been banned from a board once before. What's the success rate of posters getting banned from one website lasting at another board? Obviously, a first time poster would be 1000000x the poster cm husker is. I mean, you don't go from being a sub par poster on one board to being an elite poster on another.

If we had leaders at HB, we would quickly ban this average poster and go for a new one for countless reasons.

• Fire 6
Small minority:

2013 Florida State Seminoles Jimbo Fisher won in his 3rd year as a head coach

2010 Auburn Tigers Gene Chizik won in his 4th year as a head coach

2001 Miami Hurricanes Larry Coker won in his 1st year as a head coach

2000 Oklahoma Sooners Bob Stoops won in his 2nd year as a head coach

1989 Miami Hurricanes Dennis Erickson won in his 4th year as a head coach

1983 Miami Hurricanes Howard Schnellenberger won in his 5th year as a head coach

1981 Clemson Danny Ford won in his 4th year as a head coach

1975 Oklahoma Sooners Barry Switzer won in his 3rd year as a head coach

1974 Oklahoma Sooners (AP Title) Barry Switzer won in his 2nd year as a head coach

Do the count yourself before you criticize the numbers. I said about 35, could be a shy under. The fact is most coaches don't win multiple national titles.

And I think you're largely misunderstanding my argument in the first place and/or putting words in my mouth. The facts are that MOST first time head coaches who are external hires do not win national championships at their first head coaching gigs. Is it possible? Yes. Probably? No. That is an indisputable fact that you're trying to break down as if 1+1 does not equal 2.

And yes, there are doubts that Frost would be "1000000x the hire that Riley was." Your continued ignorance of this is as bad as suggesting Mike Riley was the best hire Nebraska could've dreamed for.

This is true, too: The facts are that MOST head coaches do not win national championships.

So of course when you add qualifiers, that qualified statement is true too.

Most folks don't understand that 1st time head coaches winning a natty is very rare. I can go through the history books and nab many 5-10 year tenured coaches who have won NC's with continuity and stability. Heck, our last two head coaches that won national championships weren't exactly inexperienced 1st time head coaches either.

• Fire 1

Small minority:
1983 Miami Hurricanes Howard Schnellenberger won in his 5th year as a head coach
1974 Oklahoma Sooners (AP Title) Barry Switzer won in his 2nd year as a head coach

If your list is comprised of 1st time head coaches I think you'd have to remove Chizik because he coached at Iowa State before going to take Auburn's job.

Small minority:

If your list is comprised of 1st time head coaches I think you'd have to remove Chizik because he coached at Iowa State before going to take Auburn's job.

I guess you can do that since I think he is the only one on that list that had a previous stint elsewhere. I initially had Urban Meyer but he had brief stints at Bowling Green and Utah. However, it was Chizik's 2nd year at Auburn and 4th overall as a HC which is still relatively early in his career as a HC to win a national championship.

Schnellenberger was HC of the Colts for a couple of years prior to Miami.

Erickson was a HC at Idaho, Wyoming, and Wash St prior to Miami. 7 years of HC experience beginning at Miami in 89.

I understand. The list was provided to show HC's with relatively little experience winning an NC but if we eliminate that formula then this just enforces the fact that the list of coaches who have won NC's early as a HC is rather small. That would narrow it down to only 5 HC's who have won a NC early in their tenures as a first time college football head coach.

2013 Jimbo Fisher

2001 Larry Coker

2000 Bob Stoops

1981 Danny Ford

1974/1975 Barry Switzer

I can't tell if you're trying to convince me or yourself that Langs and Riley are great offensive coaches...

Just responding to your specific posts and where they go specifically wrong.

I haven't actually made up my mind about these coaches yet.

You have.

Which is fine. Except I can predict virtually every post attached to your name. And that gets kinda tiresome.

+1 for speaking the truth.

• Fire 2