Scott Frost to UCF

There is a difference between Frost becoming a 1st year HC and Osborne becoming a 1st year HC. Osborne was a part of the staff for the team he took over and knew the situation he was getting into, Frost wouldn't. The same was with Pat Summit, she was a grad assistant for Tennessee when she got promoted to HC. She knew the dynamics of the team that she took over.

There are definitely examples of 1st time HCs that had nothing to do with a team that they took over and excelled. Are we willing to take that chance again. I'm not. I know Riley didn't light it on fire here this last year but he at least has experience on how to deal with things. That is currently what we need right now. Now, if Riley had hired Frost as OC and then passed him the reins after 4-5 yrs, I wouldn't have an issue with Frost being a first yr HC here.

This a good way to put it and summarizes my thoughts, particularly the second paragraph. A lot of coaches have "potential" to be great but that doesn't mean I'd be sold on hiring them right out the gate as a first time head coach.

• Fire 2

Only 3 HCs since 1970 have won a national championship as external hires with no HC experience. Stoops, McCartney, Dooley.

I'm blinded by at least one glaring omission in your list.... oh, wait, you're doing some weird, convoluted carve out of "internal hires."

Let's get a little more straight forward and tally the number who took a over a winning team, registered a sub. 500 record in their first season, and went on to win a NC.

I can't tell if you're trying to convince me or yourself that Langs and Riley are great offensive coaches...

Just responding to your specific posts and where they go specifically wrong.

I haven't actually made up my mind about these coaches yet.

You have.

Which is fine. Except I can predict virtually every post attached to your name. And that gets kinda tiresome.

• Fire 4

I can't tell if you're trying to convince me or yourself that Langs and Riley are great offensive coaches...

Just responding to your specific posts and where they go specifically wrong.

I haven't actually made up my mind about these coaches yet.

You have.

Which is fine. Except I can predict virtually every post attached to your name. And that gets kinda tiresome.

I wasn't wrong in my post, and I think you know that.

Your post about overall 3rd down conversion percentages and rankings against other teams really does nothing to refute my central point that NU's offensive scheme is unimaginative and poorly applied.

Only 3 HCs since 1970 have won a national championship as external hires with no HC experience. Stoops, McCartney, Dooley.

I'm blinded by at least one glaring omission in your list.... oh, wait, you're doing some weird, convoluted carve out of "internal hires."

Let's get a little more straight forward and tally the number who took a over a winning team, registered a sub. 500 record in their first season, and went on to win a NC.

I was just adding something to enhance and stump's conversation. Nothing weird about it. 1st time HCs that are external hires don't win many championships.

As for the 2nd paragraph, it has nothing to do with this conversation. But feel free to do that research yourself.

• Fire 3

Don't bait people into the same, tiresome argument you've filled several threads with to this point. Your opinion on Riley is well documented and his future success with the program is not the focal point of this discussion - Scott Frost is.

And what exactly is convoluted about Red Five's post? It's very straight-forward. Scott Frost would in fact be an external hire were he brought here. Internal and external hires refer to current members of an athletic department, entity, corporation, etc. Having been a former player does not qualify you as an internal hire in the corporate world.

• Fire 3

I was just adding something to enhance and stump's conversation. Nothing weird about it. 1st time HCs that are external hires don't win many championships.

As for the 2nd paragraph, it has nothing to do with this conversation. But feel free to do that research yourself.

It's easy research: 0.

And it's very relevant to the conversation about who might be qualified or positioned to win an NC based on experience and results.

And winning 3 NC in the past 30 years, during which time there have only been about 20 different ones, many of whom were also first time HCs but hired from within, is actually a fairly high percentage.

And it's very relevant to the conversation about who might be qualified or positioned to win an NC based on experience and results.

And winning 3 NC in the past 30 years, during which time there have only been about 20 different ones, many of whom were also first time HCs but hired from within, is actually a fairly high percentage.

See enhance's post above. We're talking about Frost being a 1st time HC. Not Riley here. Take that sh#t to the countless other threads about him.

And last I checked 2015 minus 1970 is 45 years.

• Fire 1

See enhance's post above. We're talking about Frost being a 1st time HC. Not Riley here. Take that sh#t to the countless other threads about him.

How many diff coaches have won NCs during that time?

I know someone mentioned Osborne, but did Switzer have head coaching experience before taking over at OU? I thought he was just Fairbanks' offensive coordinator.

I guess the comment has to do with external hires being first time HC's. Jimbo Fisher was also a first time HC, but was promoted from within.

I get the feeling from listening to sports shows talking about coach hires that there aren't many experienced coaches available who are worth writing home to ma about. They seem to be as likely to go with an assistant who knows the program or start from scratch with a first year head coach.

I'm thinking that some of the old-timey coaches just don't know what to do with the new game.

I don't know. Google it

My rough/quick count put it somewhere around 35. Maybe a shy under.

So, going by Red Five's stat, ~10 percent of coaches since 1970 have won a national title as an external hire with no HC experience. A relatively small minority.

However, using your argument about coaches who took a winning team, registered a sub.500 record in their first season and went on to win a NC, almost every coordinator in this country would be more qualified than Riley under that interpretation. That's an argument you'll find yourself on a very lonely island with.

Nobody wants to argue with you about why Riley is not a good hire for Nebraska. You've polluted several threads with this same discussion already. Continue it there.

• Fire 1