Scott Frost to UCF

Serious question here. If he didn't grow up or play for NEB would anyone seriously want to hire him for the NEB job?? I guess the real question is would half of you even know who he was if he was just the Oregon OC

This gets posed all the time, and frankly I think it's a dumb question.

Him being a Nebraska native that played here is part of his resume to look at as a potential head coach at Nebraska. He's a great coach in his own right, but him being a hometown boy that knows the culture, a former player that knows the program, and a good man that would embrace the values and the characteristics of the state are important.

Would Michigan have hired Brady Hoke if he wasn't a Michigan Man? Would Urban have jumped back into coaching for any job other than his homestate school? You don't think Bama will come calling to Dabo Swinney when Saban hangs it up? Would Pat Fitzgerald or Mike Gundy have essentially lifetime job security if they didn't play at NW or OSU respectively?

So a good reason for the Frank Solich hire is because he played here? Or to have Turner Gill here as a head coach. Would it be great to bring back the hometown kid who won a national championship?? Sure, but I don't need a hometown kid for me to feel better about the program. I just want the coach who is going to win here. He has ZERO head coaching experience this year and the last couple years he's called plays he had arguably the best QB in the NCAA. Let's see what he can do on his own before we crown him.

Lawrence, I didn't realize they gave you internet access in the hole, and are you still mad that Frosty started banging Kate McEwen after you and her broke up?

No problems with Frost. I'm a 27 year old fan so I was just a youngin when Frost was playing at Nebraska. Just guess I'm not a real big fan of hiring a guy just because he lived and went to school at NEB. I get it he had success at Oregon with a Heisman winning QB. I think the timing was pretty good for him because he was looking at the QB depth chart for Oregon and saw what was coming in the next couple years.

I think Frost has one of the strongest resumes of all the assistant coaches in Division 1 football. He played for two legendary coaches who ran pretty different offenses. He played both offense and defense at the college level, and had great success at NU. He played a few years in the NFL at safety, including playing for Bill Parcells. He served as a co-DC at Northern Iowa and then OC at Oregon. His parents are also long-time coaches. Simply put the dude had a great resume. I know a great resume doesn't make a great coach, but I am confident he will do very well.

So if he had such a strong resume then why go to UCF? This is one of those disagree moments where I see you as a Frost "bring back the glory days" and you see me as Frost hater

I guess I would have to ask...what on his resume would not be strong? Lack of HC experience is probably it, right?

I think going to UCF is a brilliant move.

Recruiting is "easy" by that I mean, even after FSU, Miami and UF get the guys they want you still have plenty players left for a solid class each year.

Expectations are super low: win 5 games next year and you are "amazing" get to a bowl game and you are "super terrific amazing"

I wouldn't exactly say the recruiting is easy as they just went 0-12. Also they just playing in and won a BCS bowl not to long ago so I wouldn't say expectations are super low.

To me he is the guy who road the coat tails of Marcus Mariota. Just as a Charlie Weiss, or a Josh McDaniels did of a Tom Brady for example. It didn't matter who was going to call the plays at Oregon the offense was still going to run smoothly with Mariota at the helm.

They averaged 43 points a game this year which is only two less than last year. Plus finished #6 in yards per game, just ahead of Oklahoma. Feel like he did alright without Mariota.

• Fire 3

Oregon's offense this year is #7 is points per game, #8 in yards per game, #5 in rushing yards per game, and #33 in pass yards per game. That's after they lost their starter with a broken index finger in week one (the starter has since come back).

Yep, sure sounds like Frost was riding Mariota's coat tails to me.

:confucius

Vernon Adams wasn't exacly a scrub to throw back there. Three year starter at Eastern Washington who would have beaten Oregon this year if he hadn't transferred. Actually he played against Michigan State in week 2 as well. The only teams in which they played a team with a good defense they struggled with (Michigan State, and Utah). PAC 12 is pretty weak on the defensive side

Oregon's offense this year is #7 is points per game, #8 in yards per game, #5 in rushing yards per game, and #33 in pass yards per game. That's after they lost their starter with a broken index finger in week one (the starter has since come back).

Vernon Adams wasn't exacly a scrub to throw back there. Three year starter at Eastern Washington who would have beaten Oregon this year if he hadn't transferred. Actually he played against Michigan State in week 2 as well. The only teams in which they played a team with a good defense they struggled with (Michigan State, and Utah). PAC 12 is pretty weak on the defensive side

Ok, so now SF is riding the coattails of a DIAA transfer...

1148.gif

• Fire 1

Ok, so now SF is riding the coattails of a DIAA transfer...

1148.gif

If I could retweet that post, I would. Classic!!!

So you want Scott Frost to have a lousy qb in his offense so you can properly judge him?!!!!

smh

• Fire 4

So Frost can only be good if he's able to make Treon Harris from Florida look like a Heisman candidate? Good lord dude, a great coordinator makes a big difference. Just look at Ohio St when Herman left. Beck comes in and somehow makes two stud quarterbacks look like scrubs, Penn St's coordinator managed to make Christian Hackenberg go from a potential number 1 pick to looking like the worst quarterback in the Big 10. Look at Florida's program when Mullen and Strong left Urban Meyer. It's foolish to discount Frost for having good quarterbacks, great playcallers are hard to come by and Frost is a great one.

• Fire 4

Then let's discredit what Mariota did last year because by my count Oregon played only one defense in conference that ranked in the Top 25 in scoring and/or yards per game.

I've been adamant for a long time that Frost was not ready to be a head coach at Nebraska; so, I come at this with a very critical eye. That said, your argument holds very little water.

• Fire 1

So Frost can only be good if he's able to make Treon Harris from Florida look like a Heisman candidate? Good lord dude, a great coordinator makes a big difference. Just look at Ohio St when Herman left. Beck comes in and somehow makes two stud quarterbacks look like scrubs, Penn St's coordinator managed to make Christian Hackenberg go from a potential number 1 pick to looking like the worst quarterback in the Big 10. Look at Florida's program when Mullen and Strong left Urban Meyer. It's foolish to discount Frost for having good quarterbacks, great playcallers are hard to come by and Frost is a great one.

This is a comment oft repeated, but not very well supported.

Hackenberg has always been overrated, but may look better in the pros where his skill set is suited for offenses that don't fit in CFB.

But I agree, coordinators do matter; probably more than any other coach on the team.