Scott Frost to UCF

Serious question here. If he didn't grow up or play for NEB would anyone seriously want to hire him for the NEB job?? I guess the real question is would half of you even know who he was if he was just the Oregon OC

This gets posed all the time, and frankly I think it's a dumb question.

Him being a Nebraska native that played here is part of his resume to look at as a potential head coach at Nebraska. He's a great coach in his own right, but him being a hometown boy that knows the culture, a former player that knows the program, and a good man that would embrace the values and the characteristics of the state are important.

Would Michigan have hired Brady Hoke if he wasn't a Michigan Man? Would Urban have jumped back into coaching for any job other than his homestate school? You don't think Bama will come calling to Dabo Swinney when Saban hangs it up? Would Pat Fitzgerald or Mike Gundy have essentially lifetime job security if they didn't play at NW or OSU respectively?

So a good reason for the Frank Solich hire is because he played here? Or to have Turner Gill here as a head coach. Would it be great to bring back the hometown kid who won a national championship?? Sure, but I don't need a hometown kid for me to feel better about the program. I just want the coach who is going to win here. He has ZERO head coaching experience this year and the last couple years he's called plays he had arguably the best QB in the NCAA. Let's see what he can do on his own before we crown him.

Lawrence, I didn't realize they gave you internet access in the hole, and are you still mad that Frosty started banging Kate McEwen after you and her broke up?

No problems with Frost. I'm a 27 year old fan so I was just a youngin when Frost was playing at Nebraska. Just guess I'm not a real big fan of hiring a guy just because he lived and went to school at NEB. I get it he had success at Oregon with a Heisman winning QB. I think the timing was pretty good for him because he was looking at the QB depth chart for Oregon and saw what was coming in the next couple years.

Serious question here. If he didn't grow up or play for NEB would anyone seriously want to hire him for the NEB job?? I guess the real question is would half of you even know who he was if he was just the Oregon OC

Him being a Nebraska native that played here is part of his resume to look at as a potential head coach at Nebraska. He's a great coach in his own right, but him being a hometown boy that knows the culture, a former player that knows the program, and a good man that would embrace the values and the characteristics of the state are important.

Would Michigan have hired Brady Hoke if he wasn't a Michigan Man? Would Urban have jumped back into coaching for any job other than his homestate school? You don't think Bama will come calling to Dabo Swinney when Saban hangs it up? Would Pat Fitzgerald or Mike Gundy have essentially lifetime job security if they didn't play at NW or OSU respectively?

So a good reason for the Frank Solich hire is because he played here? Or to have Turner Gill here as a head coach. Would it be great to bring back the hometown kid who won a national championship?? Sure, but I don't need a hometown kid for me to feel better about the program. I just want the coach who is going to win here. He has ZERO head coaching experience this year and the last couple years he's called plays he had arguably the best QB in the NCAA. Let's see what he can do on his own before we crown him.

Lawrence, I didn't realize they gave you internet access in the hole, and are you still mad that Frosty started banging Kate McEwen after you and her broke up?

No problems with Frost. I'm a 27 year old fan so I was just a youngin when Frost was playing at Nebraska. Just guess I'm not a real big fan of hiring a guy just because he lived and went to school at NEB. I get it he had success at Oregon with a Heisman winning QB. I think the timing was pretty good for him because he was looking at the QB depth chart for Oregon and saw what was coming in the next couple years.

I think Frost has one of the strongest resumes of all the assistant coaches in Division 1 football. He played for two legendary coaches who ran pretty different offenses. He played both offense and defense at the college level, and had great success at NU. He played a few years in the NFL at safety, including playing for Bill Parcells. He served as a co-DC at Northern Iowa and then OC at Oregon. His parents are also long-time coaches. Simply put the dude had a great resume. I know a great resume doesn't make a great coach, but I am confident he will do very well.

• Fire 1

I think Frost has one of the strongest resumes of all the assistant coaches in Division 1 football. He played for two legendary coaches who ran pretty different offenses. He played both offense and defense at the college level, and had great success at NU. He played a few years in the NFL at safety, including playing for Bill Parcells. He served as a co-DC at Northern Iowa and then OC at Oregon. His parents are also long-time coaches. Simply put the dude had a great resume. I know a great resume doesn't make a great coach, but I am confident he will do very well.

So if he had such a strong resume then why go to UCF? This is one of those disagree moments where I see you as a Frost "bring back the glory days" and you see me as Frost hater

Yeah, I'd forgotten he played FS at Stanford. For some reason I thought he made the jump to defense when he went to the Jets.

Yeah, I'd forgotten he played FS at Stanford. For some reason I thought he made the jump to defense when he went to the Jets.

That's easy to do, he started what? 5 or 6 games at FS? Don't beat yourself up over it, I forgot also. biggrin1.gif

So if he had such a strong resume then why go to UCF? This is one of those disagree moments where I see you as a Frost "bring back the glory days" and you see me as Frost hater

I guess I would have to ask...what on his resume would not be strong? Lack of HC experience is probably it, right?

I think going to UCF is a brilliant move.

Recruiting is "easy" by that I mean, even after FSU, Miami and UF get the guys they want you still have plenty players left for a solid class each year.

Expectations are super low: win 5 games next year and you are "amazing" get to a bowl game and you are "super terrific amazing"

He's taking over an 0-12 team located in a recruiting hotbed. Expectations are so low that he'll have a couple or three years to start winning. His $1.2 million salary will undoubtedly head north, even if he wins a game or two next year. So basically it's almost a sure thing that he'll pull in about $5 million over the next four years. More with a buyout. And if he can take them to seven or eight wins within a few years he'll be a hot commodity in the coaching market. Frost has been pretty savvy about his career moves.

• Fire 1

He's taking over an 0-12 team located in a recruiting hotbed. Expectations are so low that he'll have a couple or three years to start winning. His $1.2 million salary will undoubtedly head north, even if he wins a game or two next year. So basically it's almost a sure thing that he'll pull in about $5 million over the next four years. More with a buyout. And if he can take them to seven or eight wins within a few years he'll be a hot commodity in the coaching market. Frost has been pretty savvy about his career moves.

Hey...stop posting exactly what I posted 3 minutes after I post it! ha

I guess I would have to ask...what on his resume would not be strong? Lack of HC experience is probably it, right?

Recruiting is "easy" by that I mean, even after FSU, Miami and UF get the guys they want you still have plenty players left for a solid class each year.

Expectations are super low: win 5 games next year and you are "amazing" get to a bowl game and you are "super terrific amazing"

I wouldn't exactly say the recruiting is easy as they just went 0-12. Also they just playing in and won a BCS bowl not to long ago so I wouldn't say expectations are super low.

To me he is the guy who road the coat tails of Marcus Mariota. Just as a Charlie Weiss, or a Josh McDaniels did of a Tom Brady for example. It didn't matter who was going to call the plays at Oregon the offense was still going to run smoothly with Mariota at the helm.

Oregon does have two 4-star dual-threat QBs committed right now. One of which it looks like Frost flipped from Nebraska to Oregon. But yeah, still freshman.

Hey...stop posting exactly what I posted 3 minutes after I post it! ha

Ha ha! Hey, so I type slow. Give me a break! It's hard to type and smoke a cigar at the same time. :lol:

I wouldn't exactly say the recruiting is easy as they just went 0-12. Also they just playing in and won a BCS bowl not to long ago so I wouldn't say expectations are super low.

To me he is the guy who road the coat tails of Marcus Mariota. Just as a Charlie Weiss, or a Josh McDaniels did of a Tom Brady for example. It didn't matter who was going to call the plays at Oregon the offense was still going to run smoothly with Mariota at the helm.

The responses to your "why did he go to UCF" question were already answered pretty well. I won't rehash them.

I don't think he rode Mariota's coat tails. Mariota gave a lot of credit to Frost when Mariota won the Heisman, and he had Frost at all the awards ceremonies. Yes, Frost was helped by great talent at QB, but it goes both ways. This year, Adams got to Eugene right at the start of fall camp, and Frost was able to get him ready to be the starting QB. Adams then got hurt, and Frost had to do a lot of coaching to keep Oregon going. I know Oregon lost 3 games this year, but much of it was due to a porous defense. Oregon's offense was humming along pretty well in wins over USC and Stanford, who are the 2 representatives in the PAC 12 title game.

• Fire 3

Did you watch many Oregon games this year?

• Fire 1

Oregon's offense this year is #7 is points per game, #8 in yards per game, #5 in rushing yards per game, and #33 in pass yards per game. That's after they lost their starter with a broken index finger in week one (the starter has since come back).

Yep, sure sounds like Frost was riding Mariota's coat tails to me.

:confucius

• Fire 5