Scott Frost to UCF

Serious question here. If he didn't grow up or play for NEB would anyone seriously want to hire him for the NEB job?? I guess the real question is would half of you even know who he was if he was just the Oregon OC

I think if Frost does well at UCF, he becomes one of the "up and coming" head coaching prospects in college football. He is very well known in the college football ranks, based on his playing days at NU and him getting pretty good jobs in his relative coaching youth.

Think Jim Harbaugh. 11 years ago he got the University of San Diego head coaching job. He then went to Stanford and so on. Harbaugh might have been more well known with his NFL career, but he was roughly the same age when he got his first head coaching job at USD.

• Fire 1

Serious question here. If he didn't grow up or play for NEB would anyone seriously want to hire him for the NEB job?? I guess the real question is would half of you even know who he was if he was just the Oregon OC

Probably not because it would be giving a guy with zero head coaching experience the job, and that's not what anyone wanted after the last staff.

But that's how it is at all schools. You want your former hero players to return. Then again, we at Nebraska seem to have even more of that inclination than other schools. :dunno:

But that's how it is at all schools. You want your former hero players to return. Then again, we at Nebraska seem to have even more of that inclination than other schools. :dunno:

Michigan likes their "Michigan Men". Many of them were clamoring for Les Miles before the Harbaugh hire.

• Fire 1

Michigan likes their "Michigan Men".

True dat. I should have said *most* other schools. :lol:

• Fire 1

Ask you're fiancées and wives if being engaged is still single.

Benning made the comment because he was talking out of his tail about an unattached guy not wanting to go to the hotbed that is Lincoln.

Clearly, he had his facts wrong. It's not the first and won't be the last time for him.

You sound like George Costanza...when he wouldn't answer his phone calls from his GF so that she couldn't break up with him!

• Fire 2

Ask you're fiancées and wives if being engaged is still single.

Benning made the comment because he was talking out of his tail about an unattached guy not wanting to go to the hotbed that is Lincoln.

Clearly, he had his facts wrong. It's not the first and won't be the last time for him.

Did Benning kick your dog or something? Your hate for him runs deep.

But he called him "non-married". I think that my wife would have agreed that when we were engaged we were "non-married".

No one would want him for the NU job so badly if he wasn't a Husker. That said, being a former Husker does carry a lot of weight since he would understand the culture and what it takes to be successful in Nebraska. Plus if he were to fail here, we'd rather fail with one of our own than with an outsider.

For your second question, the casual fan wouldn't know his name but they would (or should) know that Oregon's offense is one of the best in the country. And for those who think that Chip Kelly is still the reason that the Oregon offense is successful today needs to look at what happened to Ohio St. when Tom Herman left. There's not a lot of great playcallers out there, Frost still has to be pretty special to keep that offense rolling.

Anyone who follows college football nationally though knows who Scott Frost is. He was brought up quite often during Mariota's heisman year and they did go to a national championship last year.

Benning was saying this morning that Frost is a single guy and coming back to Lincoln wouldn't be a good fit and he doesn't think Frost would want to make his way back to Lincoln. Is this his recent "days of our lives" soap opera drama they've been joking over? Because I thought I had heard Frost express his interest in coaching at Nebraska sometime in his career?

Oh well, congrats to Frost, glad he's leaving finally leaving Oregon.

Benning said he was single? Interesting that such an "insider" would get a basic fact wrong.

He is single! You are still single until you say I do. Yes, he is engaged, but he is technically still single.

So far today I've seen posters here argue the definition single and the acceptable age range for referring to someone as a "kid."

:dumdum

Probably not because it would be giving a guy with zero head coaching experience the job, and that's not what anyone wanted after the last staff.

Regardless of whether he ever comes to Nebraska, this is the perfect situation for Frost. I've maintained even since Bo got hired that Nebraska is not a place to cut your teeth. It may not be Top 5 or Top 10 job but it's certainly in the conversation for some of the best head coaching gigs in college football. But now, Frost gets a chance to see how he does as the head man in charge at a lower tier program (which is where should've gone before he came to Nebraska anyways).

Nothing in college football is certain, but, I would be far more comfortable hiring him after he been a HC somewhere else for awhile.

• Fire 2