Nebraska's Bowl Trip: Where the Record Means Nothing

The article lost me when it said we would get money from playing in the bowl.

Wrong.

It cost the University more then we will make by playing in a trash bowl.

But the B1G pools the bowl game $$ and divides it so Nebraska would still probably come out ahead. Especially if there is a B1G team in the CFP.

Not the same thing. Certainly we'll make money from the bowl season, a lot of money, but ome of the smaller bowls don't even pay enough for expenses so we might make less by actually going to a bowl, especially if we have to guarantee a certain number of tickets and don't sell them. That's what that statement means.

The way I remember the Big 8 doing it, which makes sense, is that you get a certain amount for expenses. It's a lot considering the travel and how many administrators go, at least when it was Miami. The excess would get pooled. I think the team that went to the bowl got an extra share. So we would get 2/9 over the expense allocation. Not sure if that's exactly right but it's something along those lines, and the B1G probably does something similar. I think they actually split the money evenly, after expenses, though maybe not quite evenly for the new schools.

Here's one take on it from a few years ago:

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/12/big_ten_teams_share_rose_bowl.html

Wrong.

But the B1G pools the bowl game $$ and divides it so Nebraska would still probably come out ahead. Especially if there is a B1G team in the CFP.

Not the same thing. Certainly we'll make money from the bowl season, a lot of money, but ome of the smaller bowls don't even pay enough for expenses so we might make less by actually going to a bowl, especially if we have to guarantee a certain number of tickets and don't sell them. That's what that statement means.

The way I remember the Big 8 doing it, which makes sense, is that you get a certain amount for expenses. It's a lot considering the travel and how many administrators go, at least when it was Miami. The excess would get pooled. I think the team that went to the bowl got an extra share. So we would get 2/9 over the expense allocation. Not sure if that's exactly right but it's something along those lines, and the B1G probably does something similar. I think they actually split the money evenly, after expenses, though maybe not quite evenly for the new schools.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/12/big_ten_teams_share_rose_bowl.html

Here is what the payouts look like for this year. http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-bowl-game-payouts/

The B1G gets about $50 million from the CFP/NY6 just for being the B1G. They get an additional $6 million for getting a team into the playoff and $4 million for a NY6 Bowl. Last year the B1G got all 3 for a cool $60 million on top of the other bowls. And it will probably happen again. Pooled together, that has to be far more than expenses to Detroit or San Francisco

5-7 doesn't count: Check

They were almost 9-3: Check

Bowl game win/loss doesn't matter: Check

Let me just ahead two months:

Recruiting rankings don't really matter: Check

They got some guys with great offers: Check

It is the 2017 class that will save us: Check

Pfft.

Recruiting rankings don't really matter: To a large extent, they do.
They got some guys with great offers: And several with a great number of P5 offers including ones from other B1G schools.
It is the 2017 class that will save us: More "add momentum" than "save".

Wrong.

Here is what the payouts look like for this year. http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-bowl-game-payouts/

The B1G gets about $50 million from the CFP/NY6 just for being the B1G. They get an additional $6 million for getting a team into the playoff and $4 million for a NY6 Bowl. Last year the B1G got all 3 for a cool $60 million on top of the other bowls. And it will probably happen again. Pooled together, that has to be far more than expenses to Detroit or San Francisco

Yes, I said we'll make money on bowl season. But we'll probably make less if we go to a smaller bowl like the Armed Forces bowl paying $675K, which won't even cover our expenses. Instead of staying home and taking in $6M from the other games, we might get only $5.5M or so. That's called losing money by going to that bowl. Is that really hard to understand? The Big 10 isn't going to give us $1M for expenses to a $675K bowl game. I don't even know why the Big 10 bothered accepting a tie in to those bowls.

Foster Farms and Pinstripe pay enough that the Big 10 will probably allow us more for expenses, because there'll still be some excess to put in the shared pool.

Pretty sure the teams are allotted about $250k for expenses. Leave the band in Lincoln and keep the travel party to the minimum necessary and is it completely doable. This isn't the Rose Bowl or CFP, it is going to be a garbage bowl against a garbage team...nothing to be proud of. The risk of losing another game to me far outweighs the value of additional practices or recruiting exposure wherever the game might be. Regardless of who we play, a loss in a bowl would be devastating.