**Official 2015 Big 10 Championship Discussion (Iowa vs MSU)**

Scratchtown

That line is a TV thing, not official. Seems like it should be though.

Not sure if you're replying to me, but I'm talking about them pulling out the chains instead of taking it straight to video evidence in the booth. An Official Review, I mean.

What does a booth review do by itself? They could look at it relative to the line, but like I said, that's not official. They bring the chains out to see whether it is a first down or not, then they review to see if the spot was right. They should use the technology IMO but since they don't, it makes sense to establish where the ball is relative to the official 1st down mark.

IMO, the chains are used to get a precise spot for the ball. You already have a spot for the ball based on the orange marker they lay down on the sideline. Regardless of whether the chains showed they got that first down or didn't get that first down, it would have gone to the replay booth. That was apparent when it was > 1 foot past the mark and they STILL reviewed it.