McKewon: Carry on

zoogs

Not sure what article you guys read, but that actually eroded even more of my confidence in Riley. This says it all:

It doesnt mean Riley, when reviewing the 2015 season, is satisfied. When asked if he thought Nebraska would finish 5-7, Riley said, Probably not.

"Probably not"?!?! How about, "Hell f'ing no!" Jesus, this guy went into the 2015 season thinking 5-7 was a real possibility. Nebraska is going to go anywhere until Charmin pulls his head out of his ass, starts benching malcontents, and shifts to a power-run offense that relies on the run to setup the pass, not the other way around.

Nebraska doesn't have a ton of depth. A 5-7 season for a team with very little depth is ALWAYS a possibility if key players get hurt. Teams with little depth are similar to NFL teams. Look what's happened to the Patriots since Gronkowski got injured.

Nebraska's depth is as good or better than almost every team in the conference.

MSU had 3 true freshmen playing DB a lot of this year. People are flat wrong if they think NU wasn't talented enough to continue winning 9 or 10 games, at least, per year.

I'd argue that our lack of depth at QB and DE cost us games this season.

There were several drives when Nebraska could've ended the game on a game winning sack, but that did not happen. Not to mention how short we were at Linebacker... I think lack of depth really cost Nebraska this season.

• Fire 2

Remember how much discussion we had on that play after the Illinois game? Odd that no one mentioned the same play--run correctly--after the Michigan State game. I guess there's nothing to discuss when things are executed correctly, huh?.

Nobody talks much about icebergs unless they sink a luxury liner. Getting by one iceberg doesn't cancel out hitting one, now does it?

Also, I doubt many saw the TD against MSU and thought, "Huh, isnt that the same play we saw against ILL, but executed correctly?". It was after the ILL game that it was revealed that the play call wasn't supposed to be a pass (ie TA's fault, not DL's). You're spot on, Bowfin, that DL getting a mulligan if you will for the ILL call, it doesn't absolve is overall questionable play calling with the talent at hand.

And this is my point exactly. There was a HUGE uproar when we ran this play against Illinois and Tommy improvised, and botched, a short pass. We had a five page thread in which people castigated the coaches and talked about the sheer incompetence of calling this play. It was an iceberg! But the coaches didn't listen to the collective fan wisdom about that iceberg play. They went over the play in practice, and even went so far as to rename the play in an effort to prevent another miscue. So we pull it out again against a stout Michigan State defense. This time we run it correctly and Tommy takes it to the house. And some fans (e.g., you two) still call this play an icebergsaying the TD against Sparty doesn't cancel out the first time we ran it.

So I guess what you're saying is that if we run a play and it doesn't work we should just tear that page out of the playbook. So we don't ever hit that iceberg again! :facepalm:

I won't speak for Bowfin, but you completely missed the point of my post, which was relevant as a response to your original post. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Is anyone really surprised that Riley isn't planning on any staff changes. These are his best buddies. He is gonna ride it out with them, for better or worse.

Why would he make changes? We aren't going to fire him after one year so why should he fire any assistants after one year?

The defense and secondary was a complete mess for most of the year, and a lot of people thought the coaching staff did a pretty poor job with the team overall.

Those people would be mostly wrong, but that's ok..

Not sure what article you guys read, but that actually eroded even more of my confidence in Riley. This says it all:

It doesnt mean Riley, when reviewing the 2015 season, is satisfied. When asked if he thought Nebraska would finish 5-7, Riley said, Probably not.

"Probably not"?!?! How about, "Hell f'ing no!" Jesus, this guy went into the 2015 season thinking 5-7 was a real possibility. Nebraska is going to go anywhere until Charmin pulls his head out of his ass, starts benching malcontents, and shifts to a power-run offense that relies on the run to setup the pass, not the other way around.

Nebraska doesn't have a ton of depth. A 5-7 season for a team with very little depth is ALWAYS a possibility if key players get hurt. Teams with little depth are similar to NFL teams. Look what's happened to the Patriots since Gronkowski got injured.

MSU had 3 true freshmen playing DB a lot of this year. People are flat wrong if they think NU wasn't talented enough to continue winning 9 or 10 games, at least, per year.

If the players would have bought in before Michigan St, we likely would have won 10. It was a transition year ya know.

If the players would have bought in before Michigan St, we likely would have won 10. It was a transition year ya know.

Okay, which games did they buy in for...which games did they not buy in?

• Fire 1

There were several drives when Nebraska could've ended the game on a game winning sack, but that did not happen. Not to mention how short we were at Linebacker... I think lack of depth really cost Nebraska this season.

I can go with you on the QB and DE. However, even though at the beginning of the year it appeared we were thin at LB, players stepped up and proved we weren't really thin at LB.

Remember how much discussion we had on that play after the Illinois game? Odd that no one mentioned the same play--run correctly--after the Michigan State game. I guess there's nothing to discuss when things are executed correctly, huh?.

Nobody talks much about icebergs unless they sink a luxury liner. Getting by one iceberg doesn't cancel out hitting one, now does it?

Also, I doubt many saw the TD against MSU and thought, "Huh, isnt that the same play we saw against ILL, but executed correctly?". It was after the ILL game that it was revealed that the play call wasn't supposed to be a pass (ie TA's fault, not DL's). You're spot on, Bowfin, that DL getting a mulligan if you will for the ILL call, it doesn't absolve is overall questionable play calling with the talent at hand.

And this is my point exactly. There was a HUGE uproar when we ran this play against Illinois and Tommy improvised, and botched, a short pass. We had a five page thread in which people castigated the coaches and talked about the sheer incompetence of calling this play. It was an iceberg! But the coaches didn't listen to the collective fan wisdom about that iceberg play. They went over the play in practice, and even went so far as to rename the play in an effort to prevent another miscue. So we pull it out again against a stout Michigan State defense. This time we run it correctly and Tommy takes it to the house. And some fans (e.g., you two) still call this play an icebergsaying the TD against Sparty doesn't cancel out the first time we ran it.

So I guess what you're saying is that if we run a play and it doesn't work we should just tear that page out of the playbook. So we don't ever hit that iceberg again! :facepalm:

I won't speak for Bowfin, but you completely missed the point of my post, which was relevant as a response to your original post. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood your statement that: "it doesn't absolve is overall questionable play calling with the talent at hand." It sounds to me like you're saying that it was a "questionable play call" against Illinois because it was executed poorly and didn't work. But then the same play was a good call against Michigan State when it did work. (Or are you going to argue that Illinois has a better defense than Michigan State?) So if I completely missed the point of your post then what did you mean by "it doesn't absolve is overall questionable play calling with the talent at hand"? It must have been an egregious misunderstanding on my part, given your double facepalm response.

• Fire 2

Any games you want so long as they fit a finely tailored argument. :thumbs

Joking aside, I think there are still some issues with buy-in but they may not necessarily manifest game-to-game, play-to-play. I've heard from three completely separate people now (including one person I'm heavily inclined to believe) that some of the players cleared out their lockers following the Iowa game. I'm not sure if they did it prior to or after officially finding out they were going to a bowl game, but the vast majority of players didn't clear their lockers.

Does that necessarily mean anything? Was it just frustration manifesting itself in the moment? Perhaps. It may not mean anything at all.

Bad luck more than buying in

Any depth issues should have been the difference between 9 wins and 12 wins.

Not 5 wins and 8 wins.

That's the bottom line here.

Thank the last staff for the depth issues.

I don't think there are depth issues. At least no more than what any other team outside of maybe 5 or 6 face.

When you and others say that, you're essentially saying "thank the last staff for recruiting crappy players." And to that I say "quit blaming good players for the current staff's inability to use them effectively."

And for those thinking that recruiting will save us, you're going to be woefully disappointed. Many perceived the BC staff as being great recruiters compared to Solich and Bo. Yet Bo inherited fewer draft picks and those he inherited were drafted lower than what BC inherited from Frank.

Even the perceived great recruiters are about the same as the perceived bad ones. The point being, recruiting is fairly constant at NU. We are going to consistently get classes ranked between 20 and 40 with some undulation up and down based on luck (e.g., influx of elite local talent or losing a kid to an injury).

If NU can't win with the current roster, then they aren't going to magically win with a few added teen beat stars.

And for those of you claiming "Bo only won because he had Suh and Lavonte and Burkhead and and Gregory and Ameer et al" then at what point do you admit and understand that being a good coach is about identifying your best talent and leaning into them by building what you're doing around what they do well?

Isn't it interesting how every year that Bo was here, he had guys step up and be elite playmakers?

Oh, ok.

“I never sensed that they weren’t trying,” Riley said. “The kids had a strength of character. It was a strength within the group that kept us afloat. It has to be collective if it’s going to work. I will say I appreciate people like Maliek Collins, who’s been around awhile and had success, and Maliek never wavered in how he practiced or how he played. When your good players are like that, others follow. There are obvious names — like Jordan Westerkamp, Alonzo Moore and Tommy — if there’s a sense that people like that are wavering, then you could have a flood.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-husker-football-coach-riley-carries-on-trying-to-translate/article_5b45146e-52db-5381-983d-14f4442df631.html

• Fire 1

Yet, the LB's were pretty darn good because Bray did a great job. Our secondary was abused by nearly every team we played, and Banker didn't adjust like he said he would. Also, a better commitment to the run game (and not throwing it 40 times a game) would have helped our QB situation.

Every game before Michigan St. Did you see any effort against Purdue, no me neither