Older guy here, and alum. My user name reflects the fact I first became a Husker fan sitting on my grandpa's knee, listening to Husker games in he early/mid 60s...and remember hearing folks saying thing that made me think they were happy to have a winning season. So I remember both sets of glory years...the two in the 70s and those in the 90s. But I became a "love it to the core, this team is, and always will be MY team with the deflected two point try in the 83 orange bowl. I was a big fan of the stability and longevity of the entire coaching staff in those days as much as I was of the actual team on the field. It was all part of one program.

As for Frost, I'll echo what a lot of folks have said already. It is good to see him get some experience at a place other than Nebraska. A young coach like him, if successful at his first gig, is going to be a hot commodity, and want to leverage that spotlight to "take a step up". I think it would be ideal for us to have Riley for another 3 years, maybe 4 (if he can pull it together and get back to having good seasons), then open the door for a successful Frost to return home. He'd have gotten the "hot shot new coach" recognition and might be less likely to bolt in 2 - 3 years if he does well at NU. Maybe then he'd have a chance to put together somewhat of a stable, long term team of coaches here as well.

One can hope. I'd take him if he shows well at UCF for the next few years.

That is an old guy's opinions.

FWIW...welcome to the board, and to the Big Red family young scholar.

You are missing the point Grandpa.If and probably when he is successful in florida. I seriously doubt he will becoming here, he will be getting better offers than us. Be realistic

and not a homer, why would he? Really why would he

So, what you are saying is that we should just be happy with who ever is coach here because no hot young coach would ever come here.

What I am saying is that when he is ready to move on and move UP. That we will be down the list of suitors and we have not shown the tendency to roll out the money to get people. That does not appear to be our M.O

does it? Unless we decide to pony up and get in the big boy game, I see the misery continuing and continuing........................................... until the flatline------------------------------------------------------------------------ Charge paddles!!!

Older guy here, and alum. My user name reflects the fact I first became a Husker fan sitting on my grandpa's knee, listening to Husker games in he early/mid 60s...and remember hearing folks saying thing that made me think they were happy to have a winning season. So I remember both sets of glory years...the two in the 70s and those in the 90s. But I became a "love it to the core, this team is, and always will be MY team with the deflected two point try in the 83 orange bowl. I was a big fan of the stability and longevity of the entire coaching staff in those days as much as I was of the actual team on the field. It was all part of one program.

As for Frost, I'll echo what a lot of folks have said already. It is good to see him get some experience at a place other than Nebraska. A young coach like him, if successful at his first gig, is going to be a hot commodity, and want to leverage that spotlight to "take a step up". I think it would be ideal for us to have Riley for another 3 years, maybe 4 (if he can pull it together and get back to having good seasons), then open the door for a successful Frost to return home. He'd have gotten the "hot shot new coach" recognition and might be less likely to bolt in 2 - 3 years if he does well at NU. Maybe then he'd have a chance to put together somewhat of a stable, long term team of coaches here as well.

You are missing the point Grandpa.If and probably when he is successful in florida. I seriously doubt he will becoming here, he will be getting better offers than us. Be realistic

Simply because he won a natty here silly. I ran with Scott in track in high school and he loves the state, the people, and is a HUGE husker fan. You want to know why he'd come here, look no further than that.

How about this" Show me the money" that might be the fly in the ointment. I am stunned how people think we are still some destination job. Guess what we ain't and every yr. we get just a little bit smaller on the national scene.

I don't always put credence in this type of stuff... but in this "modern" world it matters.

Has anyone seen a video of an interview of Scott Frost? There was one around on YT a while back.

Scott Frost has some serious CHARISMA.

He projects a very self confident, determined, smart personality. That stuff is important not only in coaching but also in recruiting. He projects that "cool jock" image to the max. As much as we might not want to admit it... that stuff matters... and it's something Nebraska could use a lot more of considering how the program might now be "perceived" from the outside.

If, and I am saying IF he can coach as well as he projects himself in public he could bring a lot of needed qualities to Nebraska.

As any good parent would say... you can come home any time. I think there should always be a place for Scott Frost here... and Trev Alberts too... LOL. But seriously, I think those two would be an AWESOME combination.

edit: I almost forgot... Retain Boyd Epply... bring back Marvin Sanders to coach DB.s... and bring back Ron Brown to coach RB's. AWESOME.

I actually think thr cool jock image is a bad one. Yes he does have it, but I think it is better to project maturity and professionalism.

I don't always put credence in this type of stuff... but in this "modern" world it matters.

Has anyone seen a video of an interview of Scott Frost? There was one around on YT a while back.

He projects a very self confident, determined, smart personality. That stuff is important not only in coaching but also in recruiting. He projects that "cool jock" image to the max. As much as we might not want to admit it... that stuff matters... and it's something Nebraska could use a lot more of considering how the program might now be "perceived" from the outside.

If, and I am saying IF he can coach as well as he projects himself in public he could bring a lot of needed qualities to Nebraska.

As any good parent would say... you can come home any time. I think there should always be a place for Scott Frost here... and Trev Alberts too... LOL. But seriously, I think those two would be an AWESOME combination.

edit: I almost forgot... Retain Boyd Epply... bring back Marvin Sanders to coach DB.s... and bring back Ron Brown to coach RB's. AWESOME.

I actually think thr cool jock image is a bad one. Yes he does have it, but I think it is better to project maturity and professionalism.

Not me... especially with young tough recruits.

Besides that... we would have what you want with Boyd and Ron. It would be a great combination of all those qualities.

When the time comes... bring em home.

• Fire 1

I don't know suh_fan, maybe it's good to see what Frost can do at a non-P5 school before handing him the keys to a larger school. There was some pretty major backlash among fans about Bo Pelini being a first time head coach and that Nebraska shouldn't be a training ground for coaches, that we should hire an established name.

So, let's see if Frost can establish himself as a hot commodity at UCF before considering him for the Nebraska job. The timing of this does work out pretty well though. Mike Riley is older and isn't too far from retirement (maybe 3-4 years away). I think Frost will do well at UCF (and honestly, the bar shouldn't be set very high after going 0-12 this season), well enough to be considered for the Nebraska job, which may be a job he holds near and dear to his heart (a la Harbaugh--Michigan)

Good points. So many 'if's' and I'm actually more worried about how our current coaching situation plays out than getting Scott Frost here. So many things come into play. Our administration, our current coaching staffs future success or lack thereof. Then there's ol Frost. He's taking on the UCF opportunity which is a tough situation to step into and that's probably an understatement in terms of where their program is at. How do things play out for him?

I just hope in the end or after Riley Nebraska lands a solid coach.

Or, in the end, maybe much to everyone's surprise, Riley turns out to be a solid coach.....maybe? We'll obviously get the chance to see, so may as well hope!

Lucky for him, he also projects those things.

And this was 6 years ago. Watch til the end:

• Fire 1

Simply because he won a natty here silly. I ran with Scott in track in high school and he loves the state, the people, and is a HUGE husker fan. You want to know why he'd come here, look no further than that.

How about this" Show me the money" that might be the fly in the ointment. I am stunned how people think we are still some destination job. Guess what we ain't and every yr. we get just a little bit smaller on the national scene.

Dude, he has a national championship ring from Nebraska and has his name etched in the record books...we ARE a destination job for someone like him...maybe not others, but most likely he'd want to coach here.

Wake up Blitz and smell the Coffee! You may turn out to be right, heaven knows I hope you are, but the percentages are not good.A yr ago maybe, but in 2-3 yrs not likely.