The Bell’s Already Rung on Tommy Armstrong Versus Patrick O’Brien

eightlaces

I don't see POB unseating Tommy, warts and all. POB will look like the best QB in the spring game, everyone will be excited and he'll be 3rd when season starts. He probably won't even get much playing time next season. If he does, he'll look unprepared. Isn't that how this usually works?

yup, in the mean time TA will look like sh#t and throw pics all season long.....he's not coachable, won't protect the ball and will remain the gunslinger he has always been.....so 5-7 again, acct tougher schedule......but since the schedule is tougher 5-7 will be trumpeted as improvement!!! yeah, whoopee!

"His legs have saved drives."

This is the ultimatest of understatements. Three, four, five times a game Tommy does that ridiculous spin move to escape pressure and extend plays.

That's three, four, five times a game that the QB is going to get sacked if he doesn't have Tommy's wheels. And Patrick O'Brien, whatever other skills he does or does not have, has nothing like Tommy's mobility. No Nebraska Quarterback since Eric Crouch has that mobility.

Taylor Martinez says Hello....

I was going to post the same videos from the run. Martinez played with heart, and played hurt for us. Remember that freshmen year, when he was unknown, uninjured, fun to watch. Watching him pass, not as much fun. But, when he was busting huge runs, he was able to throw up prayers and let receivers make plays.

Tommy does some amazing things. The problem is a game is more than a few drives. It's every drive.

You know who else can make those highlights? A QB who makes smart decisions and good throws. Because Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Cethan Carter, Brandon Reilly -- these cats are not slouches. The highlights will be short of a few "Woah, what a load to bring down" or "look at that arm!" -- but the untold story would be every game being short five or six or ten mentions of "He needs to stop throwing off his back foot". For example. A true, heated competition is my hope this Spring.

All this said, I think Tommy's in the driver's seat by a wide margin for the 2016 job. That isn't about how sharp a QB he is (at present) so much as it is about the lack of competition so far. POB doesn't need to be the most amazing freshman QB ever to figure into the race. I hope he pushes for the job, I just hope Tommy is able to improve enough to win decisively. That's our best chance at a really good finish next season. Otherwise, look at UCLA's finish this year under a wunderkind true frosh QB as a barometer.

maybe the UCLA kid is better coached?

What I mean there is they have this rare true freshman QB who can play right away, and they've gone 8-4. If POB turns out to be just as ready (I'd be surprised, but don't count it out) then that seems like a similar type of season we'd be in store for. Or if Tommy continues to make mistakes like a freshman.

Hence, I think our only shot at a breakthrough '16 is Tommy turning it up a few notches.

POB probably won't be Josh Rosen, but prime example of a true freshman QB coming in and playing pretty solid. POB will make some little plays with his feet as well, but will look more like Beathard running than TA. Armstrong's spins out of the pocket also got him in trouble some of the times where he lost track of WRs or fell in the DEs lap.

I don't understand why people don't want a QB here that can THROW the ball. A few more completions and 7 less INTs would have won us an extra 2-3 games this season.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

Husker fans bitched, whined, complained and begged for Ozborne to throw the ball more. Now the most knowledgeable fans in college football want Nebraska to run the ball more. Just goes to show that there are more stupid Nebraska fans than knowledgeable fans. Plenty post here.

All I know is that I would sure like to see some quarterback show up and play better than Tommy played this year. If that happens to be an improved Tommy, great. If it happens to be POB, great also. Hate to put it all on the QB when Langsdorf and Riley could better utilize the skill sets available but pretty sure we're stuck with their pass first, run shy attitude so, it is what it is for another year or two.

What I mean there is they have this rare true freshman QB who can play right away, and they've gone 8-4. If POB turns out to be just as ready (I'd be surprised, but don't count it out) then that seems like a similar type of season we'd be in store for. Or if Tommy continues to make mistakes like a freshman.

Hence, I think our only shot at a breakthrough '16 is Tommy turning it up a few notches.

i get what you are saying and quite agree....i am not so sure w can get a significantly improved Tommie??

POB probably won't be Josh Rosen, but prime example of a true freshman QB coming in and playing pretty solid. POB will make some little plays with his feet as well, but will look more like Beathard running than TA. Armstrong's spins out of the pocket also got him in trouble some of the times where he lost track of WRs or fell in the DEs lap.

I don't understand why people don't want a QB here that can THROW the ball. A few more completions and 7 less INTs would have won us an extra 2-3 games this season.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

Husker fans bitched, whined, complained and begged for Ozborne to throw the ball more. Now the most knowledgeable fans in college football want Nebraska to run the ball more. Just goes to show that there are more stupid Nebraska fans than knowledgeable fans. Plenty post here.

Brilliant introspection.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

I'm about fed up with your ass kissing Riley at all costs BS. I, and most posters hereabouts, can acknowledge both sides of the coin. Yes, Tommy and some of the players had their shortcomings but, if you can't see where Langsdorf and Riley and Banker also failed with game management and play calling issues, you might need to re-watch our games and get a little smarter yourself. Your shtick is getting old.

• Fire 1

"His legs have saved drives."

This is the ultimatest of understatements. Three, four, five times a game Tommy does that ridiculous spin move to escape pressure and extend plays.

That's three, four, five times a game that the QB is going to get sacked if he doesn't have Tommy's wheels. And Patrick O'Brien, whatever other skills he does or does not have, has nothing like Tommy's mobility. No Nebraska Quarterback since Eric Crouch has that mobility.

Taylor Martinez says Hello....

I was going to post the same videos from the run. Martinez played with heart, and played hurt for us. Remember that freshmen year, when he was unknown, uninjured, fun to watch. Watching him pass, not as much fun. But, when he was busting huge runs, he was able to throw up prayers and let receivers make plays.

When he wasn't fumbling Taylor was a very exciting runner. Even injured he had some great runs at MSU. Let's not forget how bad he was at eluding pass rushers though. He was always so focused down field that when he took off running it was often right into a defender. Like a moth to a flame, it was odd. That run against Wiscy was rare. It was a nice change watching Tommy escape rushers this year. I think that's something he worked on in the off season. Sometimes he misjudged the speed of defenders but overall he did a good job.

Armstrong

2,856 yards - 54.8%

21 TDs, 16 INTs

Rosen

3,351 yards - 59.5%

20 TDs, 9 INTs

I'm about fed up with your ass kissing Riley at all costs BS. I, and most posters hereabouts, can acknowledge both sides of the coin. Yes, Tommy and some of the players had their shortcomings but, if you can't see where Langsdorf and Riley and Banker also failed with game management and play calling issues, you might need to re-watch our games and get a little smarter yourself. Your shtick is getting old.

It took 9 games for the players to buy in, when they did, Nebraska played pretty well. The coaches did the best they could until that happened. I get plenty tired of the Nebraska staff and administration haters like you. To bad you don't like the team you claim to be a fan of instead of spewing hate and discontent about them.