The Bell’s Already Rung on Tommy Armstrong Versus Patrick O’Brien

eightlaces

Isn't it also the case that Eli Manning followed up one of his worst statistical years with one of his best statistical years under the tutelage of Fat Dan?

Whatever.

Dan's resume would seem to fit the bill for "experienced, professional and competent" but if every facet of the Riley hire is a disaster we might as well go with the flow.

Is Manning have a good/bad year this year in the NFL? I have no clue because he was not on my fantasy team...but is he doing fine without Langahalloffamercoach?

I just looked...looks like he is on pace to do a considerable about better than last year...My guess is he is probably texting Langsahan for advice before each game.

Manning had the best completion % of his career last night, but the Giants look kinda awful this year. Kinda awful for a few years now. Not sure Tom Coughlin survives if they miss the playoffs in the horrible NFC East.

But man.....Odell Beckham Jr. can sure jack up your fantasy stats.

Isn't it also the case that Eli Manning followed up one of his worst statistical years with one of his best statistical years under the tutelage of Fat Dan?

Whatever.

Dan's resume would seem to fit the bill for "experienced, professional and competent" but if every facet of the Riley hire is a disaster we might as well go with the flow.

Yes 2013 was one of, if not his worst. And while subjective, 2014 was one of his better, but if we're using QBR, it was his 3rd best.

So, it's not like Eli was hot garbage before 2014. And I'm not sure why he was so bad in 2013, injury, bad year, system change, etc, but the sample size isn't enough to contribute it specifically to a QB coach.

Whatever.

Yes 2013 was one of, if not his worst. And while subjective, 2014 was one of his better, but if we're using QBR, it was his 3rd best.

So, it's not like Eli was hot garbage before 2014. And I'm not sure why he was so bad in 2013, injury, bad year, system change, etc, but the sample size isn't enough to contribute it specifically to a QB coach.

Was 14 his first year with Beckham?

Tommy's mobility is his saving grace. The TD-INT ratio will kill him if POB shows up in shape to play. We want to pass and he can do that. If nothing else, POB should at least push Tommy to finally learn not to lock on to the first receiver despite coverage. If he can solve that conundrum he can save his job.

I just watched POB's HUDL video. He locks on to the first read almost every throw. But hey, at least he throws off his front foot.

"His legs have saved drives."

This is the ultimatest of understatements. Three, four, five times a game Tommy does that ridiculous spin move to escape pressure and extend plays.

That's three, four, five times a game that the QB is going to get sacked if he doesn't have Tommy's wheels. And Patrick O'Brien, whatever other skills he does or does not have, has nothing like Tommy's mobility. No Nebraska Quarterback since Eric Crouch has that mobility.

Say we start POB game one next year. I give him MAYBE midway through the season before he's knocked out of a game.

Tommy starts in 2016. Fight's over.

And how many times did he get sacked for a loss off 15. Just as many as he got away.

Whatever.

I guess the point was simply that if the New York Giants of the NFL thought Danny Langsdorf was professional, experienced and competent enough to hire as their Quarterbacks Coach, then he shouldn't be considered hot garbage when hired by the University of Nebraska.

Unless of course that's just the starting point for anything attached to the hiring of Mike Riley.

I forgot who said this but it was something along the lines of "I have never seen a QB keep both teams in a game as much as Tommy Armstrong does".

First time I heard this it was Todd Blackledge and he was talking about Taylor Martinez.

I believe the phrasing was: "Taylor Martinez has the unique ability to keep both teams in the game" and it was uttered during one of those games.

I heard from a very good source with very close connections to POB, that TA is getting Dailey-ed (knocked down to #3 or #4 on the depth chart) and the job has already been handed to POB.

Barring injury, POB will be your starter next season. TA will likely transfer after spring.

No way...we have not had a "good source" post in a long time!

• Fire 2

The whole "Sit the #1 QB for a drive or two just to get the second guy some practice" thing really frustrates me. Do any of you see Florida State, Clemson, Michigan State, Alabama, etc. doing this?

1. No, I don't see them do that but they also don't have a coach as innovative as Riley

2. The bears did it with McKown like 15 years ago...it was not a good thing...not at all.

3. I actually think that Clemson did it a little bit last year at times.

I heard from a very good source with very close connections to POB, that TA is getting Dailey-ed (knocked down to #3 or #4 on the depth chart) and the job has already been handed to POB.

Barring injury, POB will be your starter next season. TA will likely transfer after spring.

So Riley has already anointed POB before he even makes a practice? Considering Riley recruited Stanton pretty hard when he was at Oregon State and then couldn't even get him on the 105 roster, this is pretty hard to believe. I'm not sure how accurate of information could possibly be coming from those close to POB. If it were coming from sources close to Riley, it might have some traction.

• Fire 1