The Bell’s Already Rung on Tommy Armstrong Versus Patrick O’Brien

eightlaces

Basically, I'm hoping POB comes in and lights things up from Day 1 at this point. Either way, that's a win-win for the team. Either he starts, or if he's amazing, TA knows he's probably got a short leash and will have to be on top of his game to maintain his starting spot. He really has been too turnover prone, in spite of coming up huge in other moments and winning certain games with the team on his back. The Iowa game perfectly encapsulates all that is wrong with TA as a QB.

If I had my druthers, and TA was our starter, I'd run an offense very similar to what Auburn did with Nick Marshall or Cam Newton years ago. Not pure pocket passers, Malzahn protect their weaknesses with LOT of QB run game-- QB power, QB lead, zone read, everything. Lots of designed stuff.. We saw some of that this year, just not enough to maximize TA the runner -AND- mitigate the risk of TA the passer, IMO. Neither of those Auburn guys were afraid to take off if things broke down during a pass play, either.

My one hesitation is that TA is not as big as those guys. I've long been wary that TA wouldn't hold up for a full season being used in this manner. But at this point, what do we have to lose?

Mobility is very over rated in a passing quarterback... if you're talking about the ability to run when the play breaks down.

O'Brien's success depends on a pair of factors.

Can the dude make fast reads and unload the ball quickly?

Can he read the blitz and climb the pocket?

Tommy holds onto the ball a long time. And sometimes, when he improvises, it's because the block can't hold that long.

Tommy is also forced to improvise because he can't always see the pressure in pre-snap and adjust the protection or routes accordingly.

What is more likely, that Tommy will improve in terms of his mental game (the coaches have to help him there with a good plan) or that O'Brien will come in and pick up the offense fast enough to win the job?

If O'Brien wins the job, he's a savant. Tommy has the lead because he's been trying to figure this out longer. If the coaches give Tommy all the teaching they can, and he is open to it, then Armstrong will win the job in the fall.

Having rotation at quarter back is a horrible idea, see how that worked out for tOSU last year?

Yeah, but don't you think it's a good idea to rotate the #2 in for a series or two when you can, to get some experience under his belt? I've always been in favor of this. I even think it would help the #1 to sit on the sidelines for a few plays, with his coach pointing stuff out to him to help him out when he goes back in.

so, who's calling the plays while this is occurring?

I will! :lol:

I guess I'll wait and see how it plays out. One extremely frustrating aspect of TA is that he is never comfortable giving up on a play and tossing the ball away. He's always looking to extend and improvise a play downfield. When it works, it's a ton of fun to watch. When it fails, we usually turn the ball over, or narrowly avert doing so.

Here's hoping POB doesn't have this tendency. Most assume he want because he's the better "pocket passer." I'm skeptical, but still hope, that TA can improve in this arena over the offseason. It would help if he could find a way to iron out his mechanics going in the crapper when he's uncomfortable and reverting to falling away as he releases. A lot of people assume that's not going away, either, though.

Mobility is very over rated in a passing quarterback... if you're talking about the ability to run when the play breaks down.

Eh. Tyrod Taylor, Derek Carr, Braxton Miller, Kain Colter, Denard Robinson... I know there's a dozen more I'm missing, but that's off the top of my head. We've had fits against mobile quarterbacks for more than a decade. If anything, mobility in a quarterback, especially in the college game, is underrated.

• Fire 1

"His legs have saved drives."

This is the ultimatest of understatements. Three, four, five times a game Tommy does that ridiculous spin move to escape pressure and extend plays.

That's three, four, five times a game that the QB is going to get sacked if he doesn't have Tommy's wheels. And Patrick O'Brien, whatever other skills he does or does not have, has nothing like Tommy's mobility. No Nebraska Quarterback since Eric Crouch has that mobility.

Taylor Martinez says Hello....

• Fire 2

You won't find a bigger Taylor Martinez supporter than me, but Taylor had as many runs like that in his career as Tommy had in the non-conference schedule this year.

I didn't say NO OTHER QUARTERBACK WAS MOBILE. I said Tommy was the most mobile quarterback we've had since Crouch. That's not a controversial statement.

That's some pretty fair and savvy analysis, Brandon Cavanaugh.

I'm on the side that says a Tommy Armstrong who makes half the bad decisions and completes 5% more passes makes all the difference in the world.

But I really wanted to see that this year. His third year as a starter. Instead Tommy looked determined to prove his doubters wrong by sticking with his bad footwork and over-dramatic choices. I love that he's such a dangerous offensive weapon, but not so much that he's dangerous to both teams.

There are a lot of ways for a quarterback to beat the other team with his legs. Big lumbering quarterbacks like Ben Rothleisberger and Brett Favre have pocket smarts, and know how taking a few small steps can buy the crucial extra second to complete a pass. There are a lot more quarterbacks these days willing to take off running when a play breaks down and the yards are there for the taking. They don't have to be called dual threats to hurt you with their legs.

The ranks of Regional Sales Managers are filled with high school phenoms who couldn't make the transition of big time college football, so it's ridiculous to hand it to Patrick O'Brien now, replacing the guy who's poised to become the Career Total Offense leader at the University of Nebraska.

But Tommy Armstrong's recent social media posts suggest he's worried about the starting job. Good. Because he needs to get better. I have no reason to assume POB will get the job, but I'm wide open to him replacing Tommy if he brings the goods.

• Fire 3

Isn't it also the case that Eli Manning followed up one of his worst statistical years with one of his best statistical years under the tutelage of Fat Dan?

Whatever.

Dan's resume would seem to fit the bill for "experienced, professional and competent" but if every facet of the Riley hire is a disaster we might as well go with the flow.

Isn't it also the case that Eli Manning followed up one of his worst statistical years with one of his best statistical years under the tutelage of Fat Dan?

Whatever.

Dan's resume would seem to fit the bill for "experienced, professional and competent" but if every facet of the Riley hire is a disaster we might as well go with the flow.

Is Manning have a good/bad year this year in the NFL? I have no clue because he was not on my fantasy team...but is he doing fine without Langahalloffamercoach?

I just looked...looks like he is on pace to do a considerable about better than last year...My guess is he is probably texting Langsahan for advice before each game.

Having rotation at quarter back is a horrible idea, see how that worked out for tOSU last year?

Yeah, but don't you think it's a good idea to rotate the #2 in for a series or two when you can, to get some experience under his belt? I've always been in favor of this. I even think it would help the #1 to sit on the sidelines for a few plays, with his coach pointing stuff out to him to help him out when he goes back in.

Agree completely.