***Official Foster Farms Bowl Thread - UCLA***

Mavric

Congratulations on a great game! This is the best I've ever seen Tommy Armstrong. If he plays like this for now on, then our quarterback problem is solved.

Strategy wise, Nebraska played the right kind of game against UCLA. We are a lot bigger than the Bruins. So basically, they got man-handled.

Josh Rosen is a terrific one-dimensional quarterback. But flush him out of the pocket, then he's done for.

I think running the ball as well as we did set up TA and gave him the confidence to be able to run and throw the ball. He is not a 40-50 pass type of quarterback. We played to the strength of our team tonight and won a great game. Hope the coaches can learn from this. Passing on the one foot line drives me nuts!

I seriously don't think anyone understands this. Be prepared to hear for the next 8 months "We should have run the ball all season, derpity derp. Hopefully the coaches learned from the bowl game". Keep fighting the good fight but it's a lost cause IMO, LOL

I guess you never saw one of Tom Osborne's teams, huh? He derpity derped with the run game...a lot...regardless...I forget we have some youngsters here.

I suggest you go to YouTube and find one of those games and do some derping yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5cWZKOGhc

That other guy running for Oklahoma State during this game also showcases some effective running. :)

19 pass attempts...19...

Please let that sink in...vs the most "talented" team they played all year

It only took all year.

Now, if we can just get our defense up to snuff...and Langsdorf can learn his lessons...Riley may actually be successful next season.

Question is--why the f*** did it take them all this season to learn these lessons?

Old, stubborn coaches
BS. UCLA stinks against the run. So we ran. Go look at our running stats against Iowa. We ran there too, but not for a lot of yards because their run D was better than UCLA's. Run D is their weakness and we took advantage. That's it. That game plan doesn't work against everybody.
I seriously don't think anyone understands this. Be prepared to hear for the next 8 months "We should have run the ball all season, derpity derp. Hopefully the coaches learned from the bowl game". Keep fighting the good fight but it's a lost cause IMO, LOL.

Why is it a lost cause? Running the ball, especially in college football, makes the offense a lot easier to be effective. Why was Tommy able to throw to single covered guys and hit open receivers on play action passes? Because UCLA had to commit an extra safety to stop the run game.

Going back and throwing the ball 40 times a game is foolish, especially in uncertain playing conditions that NU often sees in the Big Ten.

• Fire 1

A Riley coached Nebraska team just beat UCLA, something pelini's teams never quite figured out.

With an offense that more closely resembled what we saw from a Pelini led team...

I would say this offense more closely resembled something we saw from an Osborne led team. Tim Beck could put up running and passing numbers like this once in a while BUT with a lot fewer run plays scheme wise. We overused the spread option, in my view. Of course I don't like the spread option at least as we have used it in the past half dozen years. There is little or no option to it. The way KU used it to Todd Reising was very effective as I recall and Missouri used it and Olklahoma too. But in all cases they had true run or hand off option in the course of the play. At least it appeared and worked effectively that way. We have seemed to have predesigned hand offs out the same action. rarely has to QB kept it. The QB needs to keep it at least 1/3 to 1/2 the time.