SEC Recruiting

Pulled some quick numbers off of Rivals. The left column under each conference is the average number of signees in the 6 biggest classes for each year. The right column is the number of teams in that conference that exceeded the NCAA "cap" of 25 signees in a given class. I think these numbers reveal some real abuses, because for a team to get down to 85 on a roster by the fall, you're talking about a lot of forced attrition. These guys aren't pros. They picked a school at least in part for the education they could could obtain. Allowing schools to push kids out because "they can always transfer" is very shortsighted and doesn't even begin to account for the disruption you put into a student athlete's life when you behave this way.

Year	ACC		B10		B12		P12		SEC	
2015	24	2	25	2	24	1	24	1	28	5
2014	27	5	24	1	25	2	23	2	27	4
2013	23	1	24	1	24	1	24	1	29	6
2012	25	3	25	2	25	3	26	4	25	3
2011	26	4	24	1	25	3	24	2	28	5
Average	25	3	24.4	1.4	24.6	2	24.2	2	27.4	4.6

Extrapolating these numbers, the SEC teams had about 2 to 4 recruits more per year than their inter-conference counterparts. Over a 5 year recruiting cycle, that's almost an entire line up for a team's offense and defense. What happens if those 20 to 25 kids are spread out among the other conferences in terms of competitiveness? I don't know. It'd be one thing if they were guaranteed a 4 year scholarship at the SEC school, but instead a lot of these kids "wash out" and maybe end up at a DII school or worse. These guides of 10% to 20% recruiting advantages are certainly going to play out as an advantage on the field.

It's also interesting that the oversigning was so widespread among SEC teams, with an average of 4.6 teams a year (more than 1/3 of their conference) signing more than the NCAA cap. I don't know if it's a southern thing, but it's interesting that the ACC was next in line among the conferences.

It's also worth noting that in a number of years, the SEC had teams signing 30+ recruit classes (iirc, South Carolina had a year with 33 recruits signed).

• Fire 2

If he kicks this door in the whole rotten structure may come down with it. Or maybe Ole Miss just goes down SMU style and the rest of the conference gets of clean like the rest of the SWC did.

But seriously you cant just tag Ole Miss and let the rest of the cheats in that conference run free. Whats the point of hammering one if there are still three or four more out there doing the same thing?

Pulled some quick numbers off of Rivals. The left column under each conference is the average number of signees in the 6 biggest classes for each year. The right column is the number of teams in that conference that exceeded the NCAA "cap" of 25 signees in a given class. I think these numbers reveal some real abuses, because for a team to get down to 85 on a roster by the fall, you're talking about a lot of forced attrition. These guys aren't pros. They picked a school at least in part for the education they could could obtain. Allowing schools to push kids out because "they can always transfer" is very shortsighted and doesn't even begin to account for the disruption you put into a student athlete's life when you behave this way.

Year	ACC		B10		B12		P12		SEC	
2015	24	2	25	2	24	1	24	1	28	5
2014	27	5	24	1	25	2	23	2	27	4
2013	23	1	24	1	24	1	24	1	29	6
2012	25	3	25	2	25	3	26	4	25	3
2011	26	4	24	1	25	3	24	2	28	5
Average	25	3	24.4	1.4	24.6	2	24.2	2	27.4	4.6

Extrapolating these numbers, the SEC teams had about 2 to 4 recruits more per year than their inter-conference counterparts. Over a 5 year recruiting cycle, that's almost an entire line up for a team's offense and defense. What happens if those 20 to 25 kids are spread out among the other conferences in terms of competitiveness? I don't know. It'd be one thing if they were guaranteed a 4 year scholarship at the SEC school, but instead a lot of these kids "wash out" and maybe end up at a DII school or worse. These guides of 10% to 20% recruiting advantages are certainly going to play out as an advantage on the field.

It's also interesting that the oversigning was so widespread among SEC teams, with an average of 4.6 teams a year (more than 1/3 of their conference) signing more than the NCAA cap. I don't know if it's a southern thing, but it's interesting that the ACC was next in line among the conferences.

It's also worth noting that in a number of years, the SEC had teams signing 30+ recruit classes (iirc, South Carolina had a year with 33 recruits signed).

What I keep laughing about this idiot is that he must actually think Alabama is squeaky clean.

It has been said that SEC recruiting classes are bigger because more kids leave early for the NFL. Don't know how true that is, but that's the excuse my SEC buddies use when defending this.

Fair point, if true. However, I question whether the numbers really match up with that theory. This year, there are 20 SEC players going early, which looks in line with the last few years from what I can gather. That does lead the nation, but the other conferences aren't that far behind (with the P12 and ACC being the other regular challengers).

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/number_of_underclassmen_leavin.html

Cheating is a way of life in the SEC. This isn't new or unusual. There is a a lot of 100.00 handshakes that go on in this conference. That doens't mean it doesn't go on in other places it is just a lot more prevelent in the south. It is just the way business is done there.

All I'm gonna say is that I know a current commit for an SEC school who was given 2 brand new cars, a Camaro and a Challenger, one in his mother's name and one in his brother's name. Bottom line is when these recruiters come around down here and they see one school giving gifts and getting away with it, they all resort to the same tactics. There's much more I could tell but I'm biting my tongue.

It has been said that SEC recruiting classes are bigger because more kids leave early for the NFL. Don't know how true that is, but that's the excuse my SEC buddies use when defending this.

That's a bunch of bunk. LSU over signs every year and then they find ways to "weed out" the guys who don't pan out. Had a guy (Diarse) just switched to TCU last week. There's so much talent constantly coming in that guys quickly realize if they're going to eventually rise to the top or not, and those who don't choose to transfer. In addition every year they have guys dismissed for minor transgressions (strangely, they're all guys who never saw the field) while others (such as Tyrann Mathieu) were given multiple chances.

You can have a maximum of 28 in class. (regardless of how many went pro) They routinely go over 30 and come sign in day, some guys are just left out in the cold. This occurs yearly.

All I'm gonna say is that I know a current commit for an SEC school who was given 2 brand new cars, a Camaro and a Challenger, one in his mother's name and one in his brother's name. Bottom line is when these recruiters come around down here and they see one school giving gifts and getting away with it, they all resort to the same tactics. There's much more I could tell but I'm biting my tongue.

And this is why the SEC is perceived as the best

Can u at least say what school?

A great read.

The Bag Man excuses himself to make a call outside, on his "other phone," to arrange delivery of $500 in cash to a visiting recruit. The player is rated No. 1 at his position nationally and on his way into town. We're sitting in a popular restaurant near campus almost a week before National Signing Day, talking about how to arrange cash payments for amateur athletes.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

• Fire 1

Sure wish this thing would blow up this month into a huge scandal that pulled in several SEC schools. And ruin a recruiting year for some of them. In fact, I'd really like to see the SEC go the way of the South Western Conference. But it's doubtful that will happen. :dunno:

• Fire 1