Will NU return to National Dominance again - next 10-15 years

TGHusker

Will NU return to "Albama"s standard during the next 10 - 15 years?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Transition to who?

I think that's wishful thinking. He either does well and is here another 8 to 10 years or he fails miserably and is gone by 2018.

In either case, what's the transition?

A better coach? If I had to guess which coach, I would guess, and this is just MY guess, Scott Frost.

I believe Scott will be coaching here in the near future, that is unless he falls flat at his new job.

I don't think he's even on the current ADs radar. If Riley is fired before 2018, I don't see frost coming with only 2 or 3 years HC experience. And by 8 years from now, frost will either have failed or will be a HC at a better resourced school.

Transition to who?

I think that's wishful thinking. He either does well and is here another 8 to 10 years or he fails miserably and is gone by 2018.

A better coach? If I had to guess which coach, I would guess, and this is just MY guess, Scott Frost.

I believe Scott will be coaching here in the near future, that is unless he falls flat at his new job.

I don't think he's even on the current ADs radar. If Riley is fired before 2018, I don't see frost coming with only 2 or 3 years HC experience. And by 8 years from now, frost will either have failed or will be a HC at a better resourced school.

He doesn't need to be on his radar when he's right in his rear view mirror. Boosters will make sure he's well aware of what Frost does at UCF. The UCF situation could go either way.

Transition to who?

Could be, I just think he has more of a pull (desire) to coach at NU.

I would be happy to perennially finish in the top 10-15 while being in the playoff conversation late in the year. Maybe make the playoff 1 out of 5 years.

Some people have mentioned the advantages we have. Other than "history", what are those advantages?

A LOT of money and the most fervent fan support of any school in the country, to start. Elite facilities and a fantastic academic support system as well.

I voted no. I don't believe it's impossible, but I don't think it's going to happen.

What we need, in my opinion, to repeat that success is a top, top coach like Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh. It's not a knock on Riley, but those three guys are media and recruiting machines as well as good CEO/coaches. Lots of players would come to Nebraska to play for Saban, or Meyer, or Harbaugh. Anybody not from Alabama that would go to Tuscaloosa isn't picking a school based on location.

Alabama struck gold landing Saban. Meyer is from Ohio and OSU has a ton of recruiting advantages, and Harbaugh attended Michigan (and the jury's still out on Harbaugh at UM anyway). Unless NU can hit the jackpot and pay through the nose for the next Saban, which we won't, then it's up to somebody like Scott Frost to a) become a great HC, and b) want to come back here.

The other way to do it is to have a staff stay together for a couple decades with a HC that emerges as one of the better OCs and HCs of all time. Just doesn't seem likely these days.

I voted no. I do not think Nebraska has the ability to "return to National Dominance again" with the current staff in place. I think with what we have, we'll be fortunate to have a few winning seasons and nothing more than that. Riley's record shows nothing to support otherwise. Football has changed so much what with scholarship limits, a new conference, more scheduled games, and now playoffs it will be very hard for any team to remain unscathed and culminating with a national championship. Clemson damn near pulled that off. The bottom line is, Nebraska can only return to dominance with the right leadership in place. Its that simple.

I would be happy to perennially finish in the top 10-15 while being in the playoff conversation late in the year. Maybe make the playoff 1 out of 5 years.

Some people have mentioned the advantages we have. Other than "history", what are those advantages?

A LOT of money and the most fervent fan support of any school in the country, to start. Elite facilities and a fantastic academic support system as well.

I'll give you fan support, but not the others unless Buffett has made a major donation to the athletic department I don't know about. Depends on who you are comparing us to. At one time we had a huge facilities advantage, but many schools have caught up and passed us.

I'll give you fan support, but not the others unless Buffett has made a major donation to the athletic department I don't know about. Depends on who you are comparing us to. At one time we had a huge facilities advantage, but many schools have caught up and passed us.

Some schools have caught up, and some fewer have passed us, but those numbers are pretty damn small.

If you're asking what advantage do we absolutely, overall, have over EVERYONE else, then I guess the answer is probably nothing. But if you're asking in the sense of, what kinds of things do we have an A-, A, or A+ grade in compared to all 120 or however many FBS schools there are, we are still entirely top tier in facilities, cash, fan support, and academic support, without question, especially when you look at the entire athletic department.

Yes ,but you have to get the ball rolling to convince top recruits that this is the place. The BIG TEN is wide open for any team that can dominate the line and play clock. Nebraska has top facilities and a visit to Lincoln must be a pleasant surprise to most recruits who come knowing nothing about the place and expect to find a barn and hay field. They need to know the coaches know what they're doing and won't screw it up when it counts.

And no other schools have this? most of the SEC would bag to differ for instance...well maybe not the academic part.

plenty of money? check

fervent fans? check(maybe more fervent)

Elite facilities? check

fantastic academic support...maybe not in all places...and these top tier kids don't care much about that unless its in the way of them being eligible ..

And no other schools have this? most of the SEC would bag to differ for instance...well maybe not the academic part.

plenty of money? check

fervent fans? check(maybe more fervent)

Elite facilities? check

fantastic academic support...maybe not in all places...and these top tier kids don't care much about that unless its in the way of them being eligible ..

Nobody asked "what do we have that nobody else in the world has?"