Quarterback Development

BRV920

TIL people still think Tim Beck called the plays at Ohio State...

well, he did lol

Not exactly.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/10/ohio_state_football_who_is_act.html

It was a mess, at best.

Need to re-word your sentence, then. Beck did, in fact, call plays. All three have been/were involved to varying extents at different times.

TIL people still think Tim Beck called the plays at Ohio State...

well, he did lol

Not exactly.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/10/ohio_state_football_who_is_act.html

It was a mess, at best.

Need to re-word your sentence, then. Beck did, in fact, call plays. All three have been/were involved to varying extents at different times.

Didn't think I had to spell it out.

TIL that people think Beck solely called plays and was responsible for OSU's offense struggling.

I can agree with that analysis, but I think some people are pointing to the difference in experience when developing QB's, between Langsdorf, and Beck. Beck was a RB coach at KU, and then at Nebraska. Langsdorf was given the reins to Eli Manning, and I assume it was for good reason. You would expect that long term Langsdorf is going to get more out of our QB's based on past experience with the position. Certainly no guarantee though....

I agree with that.

Overall I'd say Langsdorf has a better resume than Beck in that specific regard, at least as far as grooming a proto-typical NFL-style quarterback. But then again, Langsdorf has been doing it for well over a decade with better prototype pro-style players, while Beck has been at it for a few years with mercurial dual-threat guys.

The only thing I get tired of is the simplistic, "Beck sucks", "Watson was garbage" rhetoric. For whatever reasons, those guys oversaw the most productive players in school history at the three main skill positions, as well as notable success elsewhere (Beck at KU, Watson at Cincy). That says something at least. Our offenses have been good to great the last 8 years with the exception of 2009, which was a conscious decision by the head man.

I'm excited for Langsdorf's potential going forward with our quarterbacks, with nothing negative to say about who came before him. Overall, our offense was once again, pretty damn good this last season, especially looking at the context of who we had on the field.

Sorry, but Watson was/is garbage. He has one productive year in his history of coordinating, and that just so happens to be the year he showed up at Louisville and found he inherited a senior QB who went on to start in the NFL as a rookie. Then he moved on with Charlie Strong to Texas and led that offense to a significant regression and got fired mid-year in 2015.

Taylor Martinez developed

By Calhoun... O'Briens pt coach

This is more promising than Langs "developing him IMO.

Total BS and just a comment to try and stab Neb.

Not at all. Calhoun has a heck of a resume. Martinez improved dramatically. Very promising that POB has been and will probably continue to work with him......

Quick look at some of Calhoun's guys:

http://armedanddangerousfootball.com/#alumni

Yep he is highly regarded as the one of the premiere QB coaches in all of football. Calhoun is a master of mechanics and I agree, because of him, Martinez' mechanics improved a great deal.

Langs is considered a very good QB coach by a lot of people in the profession. I'm not worried about our QB position, just play calling every once in a while. I am sure he will get that under control though.

Agreed. I'm hoping that a lot can be explained by 2015 being year one at a new team, installing a new system. I want to believe that has to be the worst year for play calling when you're learning your players and what will work and what they're capable of.

Not at all. Calhoun has a heck of a resume. Martinez improved dramatically. Very promising that POB has been and will probably continue to work with him......

Yep he is highly regarded as the one of the premiere QB coaches in all of football. Calhoun is a master of mechanics and I agree, because of him, Martinez' mechanics improved a great deal.

I thought Martinez's mechanics slid back to where they were in the 2012 season, but his receiving corps had improved dramatically.

I thought Martinez's mechanics slid back to where they were in the 2012 season, but his receiving corps had improved dramatically.

It is virtually impossible to critique martinez's mechanics since so much of his career he was injured to the point he was. Heck, it wasn't too long ago that he had yet another surgery on his foot to try to help fix it.

That injury had to be extremely painful to play with and that is going to mess with anybody's mechanics.