SEC wants to stop Harbaugh

cm husker

I agree with Sankey when he uses the "athlete time commitment over spring break" angle, but it seems very disengenious coming from the SEC chief. And if it is deemed legal, then I have no problem with us doing it.

One question I do have is how is Michgan allowed to do this at IMG? Isn't IMG a private high school on steroids? It would be no different than holding spring practices at De La Salle in California or St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida. That seems like it might raise some red flags with recruiting?

We lose money going to bowl games that we are paid to go to. I can't imagine what this would cost.

That said, I would love to hold one in California with the pipeline we are starting to build there.

Assuming 100 on campus + 25 support staff (prolly way under there)...rooming 2 to a room w/ coaches going solo....

Round Trip Charter: $40,000-$50,000

Rooms @ $225/ for 8 nights: $135,000

Feeding a bunch of fat guys: $30,000

North of $200k....so like 20% of our recruiting budget. Hmmm...better land some big fish w/ that.

We lose money going to bowl games that we are paid to go to. I can't imagine what this would cost.

That said, I would love to hold one in California with the pipeline we are starting to build there.

Assuming 100 on campus + 25 support staff (prolly way under there)...rooming 2 to a room w/ coaches going solo....

Round Trip Charter: $40,000-$50,000

Rooms @ $225/ for 8 nights: $135,000

Feeding a bunch of fat guys: $30,000

North of $200k....so like 20% of our recruiting budget. Hmmm...better land some big fish w/ that.

Nothing some required donations from season ticket holders can't handle. If money for this type of thing is a concern for Nebraska, it's a concern for all teams. We might not be top of the heap but we're a far ways from the bottom.

I don't particularly care what the SEC has to say on the issue, but ignoring the recruiting purpose for the trip (practice at a premier sports high school) it sure sounds like an impermissible extra benefit for current players to me. Ohio State got sanctioned for players getting free tattoos and Michigan wants to pay for an all expense spring break trip to the beach for each of the players. Something doesn't add up....

I don't particularly care what the SEC has to say on the issue, but ignoring the recruiting purpose for the trip (practice at a premier sports high school) it sure sounds like an impermissible extra benefit for current players to me. Ohio State got sanctioned for players getting free tattoos and Michigan wants to pay for an all expense spring break trip to the beach for each of the players. Something doesn't add up....

Schools hold sections of spring and fall practice off campus all the time. Off the top of my head, Northwestern has been doing a week in Kenosha, WI for a long time. Also, I know that USF holds random weeks of spring/fall practice around the state of Florida.

The difference is that this is Michigan, and they're making a big deal about doing it in the SEC's backyard, and the south doesn't like that the Big Ten is coming down here hard to get recruits.

The Big Ten needs and edge, and too many schools (Nebraska included) in the conference have gotten fat and lazy off of TV money without putting the effort into reaching the top. IMO, big personalties like Meyer and Harbaugh pushing the envelope, and forcing other schools to get better are exactly what this conference needs.

• Fire 2