WR/TE Taariq Johnson [California - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

EDIT

Post 17 nailed it already

Wilcox? Sorry on mobile and doesn't show post number.

Wilcox would be good for us imo. Not sure his California appeal and obviously a division opponent loses a key coach.

Agree.

I really think he took the Wisconsin job to revitalize his stock, and wants go back to the WC where hes from. Lots of connections out there. Helped Washington flip Shaq Thompson from Cal a few years ago.

EDIT

Wilcox would be good for us imo. Not sure his California appeal and obviously a division opponent loses a key coach.

Agree.

I really think he took the Wisconsin job to revitalize his stock, and wants go back to the WC where hes from. Lots of connections out there. Helped Washington flip Shaq Thompson from Cal a few years ago.

Thanks, figured he had Cali ties. Still appeal from a WR going to play for Dykes vs Wilcox would probably be a negative. But who he brought on as OC could change that quickly.

EDIT

Agree.

Thanks, figured he had Cali ties. Still appeal from a WR going to play for Dykes vs Wilcox would probably be a negative. But who he brought on as OC could change that quickly.

Their OC is also a choice, so there could be some credence to that. Question is if its Wilcox, does he start over at OC?

EDIT

Agree.

Their OC is also a choice, so there could be some credence to that. Question is if its Wilcox, does he start over at OC?
Good question. I don't know enough about their current OC or Wilcox to form credible opinion. Just as an outsider, I'd think Dykes was the offensive guru currently but I have no base for that opinion.

Need to make a push here with the coaching change at Cal.

For some reason I thought he was an early enrollee
He is. Got to feel bad for the kid. He has a huge decision to make in a very short amount of time.

Unfortunately he's got today to decide.

Honestly, if my son was in that situation I would tell him not to worry about early enrolling and take all of Jan to figure out where to go to school and then show up in June.

Also, just googled Cal's academic calendar and the semester stats Tues 1/10 but instruction doesn't begin until Tues 1/17, so maybe he has a week to figure it out.

Need to make a push here with the coaching change at Cal.

For some reason I thought he was an early enrollee
He is. Got to feel bad for the kid. He has a huge decision to make in a very short amount of time.
Unfortunately he's got today to decide.

Honestly, if my son was in that situation I would tell him not to worry about early enrolling and take all of Jan to figure out where to go to school and then show up in June.

Also, just googled Cal's academic calendar and the semester stats Tues 1/10 but instruction doesn't begin until Tues 1/17, so maybe he has a week to figure it out.

I would too. No sense in rushing a decision just because you decided to EE.

Thanks for finding out when actual classes begin.

Why in the hell do ADs do this? Give an extension right before they fire someone.

There was no rush to judgment; we wanted to be thorough and thoughtful. Ultimately, it was a combination of factors that brought us to this outcome. ... Primarily, we want what's best for our student-athletes and have a head coach in place who is fully committed to our program and our university. ... After our bowl win last season, we showed our commitment to him with a contract extension. But after looking at a number of factors after the end of this season, I felt that we needed a change of direction for the good of our student-athletes and our program. I understand that the timing may not be ideal – it rarely is. We did not want to make this decision until we were ready and did so for the health of our football program and department.

Hopefully he rethinks early enrolling with this turmoil at Cal, just feel like we're putting a little bit too much hope into a guy who hasn't given any indication he's wavering from his commitment.

There could be too much placed onto him but his coach did just get let go less than 24 hours ago. Probably won't hear anything for at least a day or two. Odds are he stays but its a little too early to tell.

Should be interesting. Dykes forwarded his résumé to any AD with an email address the last two years - he hated the strict admission requirements at Cal. It's why he went out and promised a starting job to a mercenary grad transfer QB despite having promising young QBs in the pipeline. He wanted out as quick as possible and knew that another disappointing season would likely leave him stuck at Cal.

If they keep Spavital, I imagine most of the offense commits will stay. Recruits love him even if his OC ability is questionable at this point. Chip's name keeps popping up but he can do better than Cal, even if he has to wait a year.

• Fire 1