CFN: 5 Keys For The Cornhuskers 2016 Schedule

Saunders

7.5 is the O/U for NU this year per Sargometrics.

NU's starting lineup this year will not be much better than last years, which wasn't very good. (It might be worse in 16 but I don't want to be too rude/negative lol).

Here's the per game odds (rounded so as to not overburden anyone ;) ). Adds up to exactly 7.5 wins.

So you disagree? Then you tell me the correct per game odds then. (Also tell us what Vegas will set as the line...I say they'll set 7.5)

90 Sept. 3 Fresno State
90 Sept. 10 Wyoming
30 Sept. 17 Oregon
60 Sept. 24 at Northwestern
80 Oct. 1 Illinois
-- Oct. 8 OPEN DATE
60 Oct. 15 at Indiana
80 Oct. 22 Purdue
40 Oct. 29 at Wisconsin
30 Nov. 5 at Ohio State
80 Nov. 12 Minnesota
80 Nov. 19 Maryland
30 Nov. 25 at Iowa

• Fire 1

The schedule next year is not all that drastically difficult compared to last year.

Last year's schedule appeared easy as hell going in, but look at how it ended up:

BYU - 9-4

Miami - 8-5

Wisconsin - 10-3, #21

Northwestern - 10-3, #22

Michigan State - 12-2, #6

Iowa - 12-2, #10

Maybe next year's schedule will end up being a gauntlet, but going it, it doesn't look that much more difficult. People will look at our record as evidence that we'll suck against a slightly-to-moderately tougher schedule, but that's pretty shallow reasoning, since we were 5 plays away from being 11-2.

I just smirk when our previous record gets used as proof of how the following season will shake out. Understandably that formula worked under Bo.

When we win 10 games this year it will be a slew of "I may have complained for 9 months and derailed a bunch of threads, but I'm so happy to be proven wrong. Go Big Red!"

• Fire 1

I'd say that's about right. I'd give us more of a chance against Wisconsin and Iowa but they are both on the road.

I'd say 50 vs. Wisconsin and at least 40 if not 50 vs. Iowa - we completely dominated them everywhere but the scoreboard.

This post is right on. I would say 50 vs iowa and 70 against Indiana and NW - which would put us at 8 wins. I'm guessing we get 9 thou.

I'm not following why Illinois and Purdue are at 80 but Indiana is at 60.

Indiana has the best offense in the conference and is really well balanced. At least they were last year.

They also were dead last in the conference and 116th in the country in scoring defense.

I can't see this as almost a toss up game.

It isn't, and won't be. 52-35 Big Red

Iowa will come crashing down. Our worst team in a decade still almost beat their best team... Ever?

Exactly. Iowa and Ferentz both have a ceiling, they hit it last year. I expect us to bully them this year.

The schedule next year is not all that drastically difficult compared to last year.

Last year's schedule appeared easy as hell going in, but look at how it ended up:

BYU - 9-4

Miami - 8-5

Wisconsin - 10-3, #21

Northwestern - 10-3, #22

Iowa - 12-2, #10

Maybe next year's schedule will end up being a gauntlet, but going it, it doesn't look that much more difficult. People will look at our record as evidence that we'll suck against a slightly-to-moderately tougher schedule, but that's pretty shallow reasoning, since we were 5 plays away from being 11-2.

I guess I don't think two good teams, two fringe-Top 25 teams and two unranked teams is that daunting of a schedule. If we're even a fringe-Top 25 team we're favored in 10 games.

Miami and BYU's record looks good. But one plays in the worst Power 5 conference and the other has a schedule that's barely worthy of a MAC team.

• Fire 1

BYU - 9-4

Miami - 8-5

Wisconsin - 10-3, #21

Northwestern - 10-3, #22

Iowa - 12-2, #10

I guess I don't think two good teams, two fringe-Top 25 teams and two unranked teams is that daunting of a schedule. If we're even a fringe-Top 25 team we're favored in 10 games.

Miami and BYU's record looks good. But one plays in the worst Power 5 conference and the other has a schedule that's barely worthy of a MAC team.

Well, being in the top 25 is not fringe-Top 25. It's just top 25, period.

As far as Miami and BYU, they're not great, but they're good. BYU's 4 losses were to UCLA, Michigan, Missouri and Utah, with 3 of the 4 decided by a score or less.

Anyways, I never said the schedule was daunting. I said, comparatively, this year's schedule is not that much more difficult from the pre-season perspective. Try to keep up with actual points being made.

After watching last season, you can't say that is not a realistic possibility. We lost at Purdue and at Illinois, two games everybody had as guaranteed Ws. Until this staff proves otherwise, I do not view that many games as sure fire wins.

If we're judging based off of last year,then 5-7 is equally as realistic a possibility as 3-9 or 11-2.

as said, schedule is much tougher and don't expect POB to come to the rescue........he will need time to develop and if MR forces him in early, he will throw pics and see sacks........

with our O and D lines so young and w/o experience, honestly, you can figure 5-7 again.........don't get caught up in the preseason hype we so often see........it's fun to be excited, new seasons are always well anticipated, but keep it real........hope i am wrong, but we're building, not reloading.

Please, point to the 7 losses you envision.

Fresno State[/size]Wyoming[/size]Oregon[/size]at Northwestern[/size]Illinois[/size]at Indiana[/size]Purdue[/size]at Wisconsin[/size]at Ohio State[/size]Minnesota[/size]Maryland[/size]at Iowa[/size]

all 6 of the bolded games are "loseable". I predict we will be underdogs in 4 (all but at NW and at Indiana). Lose the 4 that we are underdogs in, lose the other two "toss ups" and throw in an unexpected loss you can easily get to 7 losses.

After watching last season, you can't say that is not a realistic possibility. We lost at Purdue and at Illinois, two games everybody had as guaranteed Ws. Until this staff proves otherwise, I do not view that many games as sure fire wins.

If you really consider Indiana as a legitimate threat I have no interest in debating with you.

Wow, I guess I don't understand the hand wringing we are going to lose 7 games again thing. I would say NU should win 8 games and hopefully more. It doesn't seem like anyone looks at what other teams lose off of their rosters only at what NU loses and last years record.

Lets look at some of these teams.

Oregon finished 9-5 and is pinning their hopes for next year on another grad transfer from Montana and a new DC Brady Hoke.

NW was pretty senior heavy on defense. They beat NU by 2 points and our qb threw a pick six. Their offense probably will be a little better.

Wisconsin loses quite a bit on defense and starting QB. But most importantly they lose their DC.

Indiana has a great offense and no defense and it doesn't look like they are planning on having any defense next year.

OSU will be very good though I don't think they will be as good they lost a lot of great players.

Iowa we played toe to toe with. They lose some defense and had their every 7-8 year magical season last year. It most likely is back to 8-4 or 7-5. Thier schedule gets tougher.

I know we lost to Illinois and Purdue, but does anyone really see either team being markedly better? Maryland is terrible and will be again next year. Wyyoming I expect to be better but only like 6-6 better. Fresno should be ok but not good enough to beat NU. Minnesota I don't see being any better than last year. I think that QB finally graduates.

Heck it is spring this is the time to be optomistic. OSU is probably going to be a great team again, other then that I don't see any other truely great teams. Oregon should be good, but not the Marcus Mariotta great that everyone is thinking about.