QB Jake Bentley [South Carolina Commit]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

True...

OK....seriously though...what is he gaining? It's a low percentage of Freshman QBs that come into a power 5 school and play right away. That's even after they have a senior year in HS. Now, this kid is coming to campus minus one year of HS experience.

So.....does this next fall count as his redshirt year?

And, if he is going to redshirt, why wouldn't you want to be in HS playing and getting better?

His family is moving with his father taking the job at South Carolina. So his options were to stay at his HS and be away from his Dad for a year, follow his dad and enroll in a completely new high school in Columbia, SC, or enroll in college. Not a crazy choice when you look at the situation

I suppose he gains just a little more experience with the team than a player enrolling in December of their senior year would. I would assume that next fall would count as his redshirt year.

If he doesn't feel like he has anything left to prove at the HS level, i suppose it was an easy decision for him. If this were academically based, no one would bat an eye at someone graduating a year early.

• Fire 1

True...

OK....seriously though...what is he gaining? It's a low percentage of Freshman QBs that come into a power 5 school and play right away. That's even after they have a senior year in HS. Now, this kid is coming to campus minus one year of HS experience.

And, if he is going to redshirt, why wouldn't you want to be in HS playing and getting better?

His family is moving with his father taking the job at South Carolina. So his options were to stay at his HS and be away from his Dad for a year, follow his dad and enroll in a completely new high school in Columbia, SC, or enroll in college. Not a crazy choice when you look at the situation

OK....to each their own choice. I know a kid whose parents moved before his junior year and he stayed and played with his original school. He would be away from his family for basically a semester not an entire year.

Anyway...again....what ever floats your boat.

I do have the question about eligibility. Is he immediately eligible? If not, does this count towards his redshirt year? Can he practice with the team?

I suppose he gains just a little more experience with the team than a player enrolling in December of their senior year would. I would assume that next fall would count as his redshirt year.

If he doesn't feel like he has anything left to prove at the HS level, i suppose it was an easy decision for him. If this were academically based, no one would bat an eye at someone graduating a year early.

Just for the record, if he academically is finished with HS...fantastic. Move on in your education. That's very impressive.

My questions are more about his athletic career and how this affects his eligibility and development.

Just for the record, if he academically is finished with HS...fantastic. Move on in your education. That's very impressive.

My questions are more about his athletic career and how this affects his eligibility and development.

Not all that impressive in the 'academic overachiever' category. 24/7 says he is already 18 years 5 months old.

Not all that impressive in the 'academic overachiever' category. 24/7 says he is already 18 years 5 months old.

Do you know the circumstances if why he us an 18 year old Jr?

True...

OK....to each their own choice. I know a kid whose parents moved before his junior year and he stayed and played with his original school. He would be away from his family for basically a semester not an entire year.

Anyway...again....what ever floats your boat.

I do have the question about eligibility. Is he immediately eligible? If not, does this count towards his redshirt year? Can he practice with the team?

I read a little about this. He is eligible because he is reclassified as a 2016 prospect. So this coming season would be his redshirt year if he doesn't play.

True...

Exactly. I don't think staying at his current HS is even a realistic option. If his family is moving, where's he going to live? I don't see any responsible parent keeping their house and letting their 18 year old HS son living there alone.

True...

Exactly. I don't think staying at his current HS is even a realistic option. If his family is moving, where's he going to live? I don't see any responsible parent keeping their house and letting their 18 year old HS son living there alone.

I've known kids who have stayed with friends or relatives. It's not like he would have had to be homeless or totally unsupervised.

No matter your age, completing 4 years of HS in 3 is impressive.

Unless there was some funky stuff which caused him to be an 18 year old junior.

True...

I've known kids who have stayed with friends or relatives. It's not like he would have had to be homeless or totally unsupervised.

While that's a possibility, I know I wouldn't want the responsibility of someone else's 18 year old.

Do you know the circumstances if why he us an 18 year old Jr?
I know a kid that took off his freshman year of high school to concentrate on wrestling for the whole year. He went and lived with his brother, who was wrestling for Oklahoma State. He called it a high school redshirt year. He will be 19 when he graduates.

True...

While that's a possibility, I know I wouldn't want the responsibility of someone else's 18 year old.

That's understandable but there are other people that do. All I'm saying is that it's not way out of the ordinary. Heck, look at hockey players that go player minor league hockey somewhere and stay with host families.