Catching Michigan State: Nebraska Cornhuskers

Saunders

To be the best, you’ve got to beat the best. All this week, across every Power 5 league, we’re looking at what it takes to reach the top.

In the Big Ten, Michigan State stands at the pinnacle. The Spartans are 36-5 over the past three seasons, with two conference titles, a trio of top-10 national finishes and a berth in the College Football Playoff to cap last season. Coach Mark Dantonio’s teams have won with grit and good fortune, with offense and defense and special teams, with continuity on the coaching staff and through development in the program.

Realistically, not every team in the Big Ten is ready to challenge for a spot at the top. For those in position to make the next move, we’re offering an evaluation. Up next is Nebraska.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/130930/catching-michigan-state-nebraska-cornhuskers

• Fire 1

The suggestion that Michigan State is actually ahead of Ohio State in the Big Ten standings is nonsense. I would suggest that overall I would put Ohio State at the top followed closely by Wisconsin and Michigan tied for second and Nebraska/MSU tied for third. Wisconsin is overall toughter in my view than Michigan State. Penn State is right up there with those below Ohio State. The Buckeyes are clearly the cream of the Big Ten at this point.

I find it interesting that they say MSU is the leader to catch in the Big Ten. I'm guessing OSU might question that.

This really is the gist of what it will take to improve our standings.

X factor: For Nebraska, it’s smart football. The Huskers haven’t played much of it in recent years. Last year, Riley’s team ranked 117th nationally in turnover margin and 109th in penalties. That needs to improve. Michigan State has committed its share of penalties, too, but the Spartans do play smart football. Since 2011, they’re third nationally and lead the Big Ten in turnover margin at plus-55. That kind of thing makes a difference. The Huskers know it. But can they fix it?

The suggestion that Michigan State is actually ahead of Ohio State in the Big Ten standings is nonsense. I would suggest that overall I would put Ohio State at the top followed closely by Wisconsin and Michigan tied for second and Nebraska/MSU tied for third. Wisconsin is overall toughter in my view than Michigan State. Penn State is right up there with those below Ohio State. The Buckeyes are clearly the cream of the Big Ten at this point.

As of now, MSU is in front of Michigan and Wisconsin.

I can't put Nebraska any higher than 5th til they actually show it on the field. 5th may even be too high. Not to say they can't or won't be better than that, I'm just done giving them the benefit of the doubt based on history, tradition and potential. Those other teams are simply better than us right now. That being said, I think we win the west this year.

I think peoples evaluation of where we are and where we are headed is still being severely clouded by our dismal 6-7 record.

We are closer to the top of the heap than some think. Get some passing D, fix the penalty issue, commit a bit more to the run (identity) and make sure not to let the clock hurt us. There, we just won the West division.

I think peoples evaluation of where we are and where we are headed is still being severely clouded by our dismal 6-7 record.

We are closer to the top of the heap than some think. Get some passing D, fix the penalty issue, commit a bit more to the run (identity) and make sure not to let the clock hurt us. There, we just won the West division.

The problem is, the bit in bold which was pretty much a simple concept for the fans to grasp eluded certain members of the staff until the bowl game.

If Rliey isn't just paying lip service and they did truly learn their lessons from the Bowl Game and their losses to teams like Pur-f******g-due, then yeah, they could win the B1G West and potentially the whole conference. We were a commitment to the running game away from winning the B1G West this past season, and frankly, the only team that looks to improve is Wisky.

I guess we'll find out when Oregon comes to town--if they mothball the run and we throw 30-40 times in that game, we'll know we're on schedule for a rocky 2016. But if they stick with the run and establish that identity...the only team that could stop us is ourselves.