Change Scheme or Change QB?

I'm thinking of an Andrew Luck. Or lots of other pro-style QBs. If by being pro-style, it means you can do three and five step drops, quickly see the field and plays developing, scramble just enough to avoid the rush, and complete passes to one of your multiple options at receiver, that's nothing but good for any offensive scheme.

It means you can also hand it off to your running backs, who will only benefit by having a passing threat at QB to keep the defense unstacked.

Luck would have huge passing games at Stanford. The next week they'd run the ball down the defense's throat. He could throw 18 or 40 times a game, depending on what the defense showed them. I don't think anyone stayed awake counting the run/pass ratios or asking themselves if they were a pass-first team. Either way, they had a great offensive line.

I'd prefer something like that.

+1 on this. If the QB can get the other team to not have 9 guys in the box then he has accomplished the first step in setting up the running game. Add in a O-line similar to Stanford and everybody on this board can be happy about our run stats, while still having a passing QB.

Interestingly, only 2 OLmen who started while Luck was there were drafted and only one of them is still in the NFL. No other OL starters from those Stanford OLs were drafted (three underclassmen who played part time while Luck was there did get drafted and are still in the NFL).

Perhaps it's more about the system there than the athletes at OL.

Also, why are we aspiring to be Stanford offensively? They had great run of offensive success with Luck, finishing top 11 in offensive scoring each season he played. Since Luck left, they've been in the 70s, 50s, and 18th in offensive scoring.

Hardly numbers to aspire to, imo.

Maybe the key is to recruit a once in a generation QB....

I honestly thought a lot of Husker fans admired what Stanford has been running for several years now, through multiple QBs and coaches and meaningful winning seasons.

My bad.

The problem blem with your line is f thinking Guy is that for every Andrew Luck there are 30 Harrison Becks. Sure you will be good when you have great QB play and when you don't..... Back to 6-6.

And for every Tommie Frazier there are 30 Cody Green's.

My line of thinking is simply that a good passing quarterback doesn't mean you stop running the ball. He can and should make the rushing offense better.

Good passing quarterbacks are no more rare than good running quarterbacks.

Great quarterbacks are rare, because that's the definition of greatness.

Problem is, lots of high school quarterbacks look really great in high school.

I'm thinking of an Andrew Luck. Or lots of other pro-style QBs. If by being pro-style, it means you can do three and five step drops, quickly see the field and plays developing, scramble just enough to avoid the rush, and complete passes to one of your multiple options at receiver, that's nothing but good for any offensive scheme.

It means you can also hand it off to your running backs, who will only benefit by having a passing threat at QB to keep the defense unstacked.

Luck would have huge passing games at Stanford. The next week they'd run the ball down the defense's throat. He could throw 18 or 40 times a game, depending on what the defense showed them. I don't think anyone stayed awake counting the run/pass ratios or asking themselves if they were a pass-first team. Either way, they had a great offensive line.

+1 on this. If the QB can get the other team to not have 9 guys in the box then he has accomplished the first step in setting up the running game. Add in a O-line similar to Stanford and everybody on this board can be happy about our run stats, while still having a passing QB.

Interestingly, only 2 OLmen who started while Luck was there were drafted and only one of them is still in the NFL. No other OL starters from those Stanford OLs were drafted (three underclassmen who played part time while Luck was there did get drafted and are still in the NFL).

Also, why are we aspiring to be Stanford offensively? They had great run of offensive success with Luck, finishing top 11 in offensive scoring each season he played. Since Luck left, they've been in the 70s, 50s, and 18th in offensive scoring.

I honestly thought a lot of Husker fans admired what Stanford has been running for several years now, through multiple QBs and coaches and meaningful winning seasons.

My bad.

I've appreciated some of their results, especially compared to what they were doing 15 years ago.

Doesn't mean I want their offensive scheme or that I think scheme has been central to their successful results.

add in our latest recruit commit and there is no way we starting running that much more. He doesn't commit here otherwise.

Dirk just wrote about that in today's Mad Chatter. Riley will always throw a lot. With the stable of WR's he currently has and bringing in, there is plenty of reason to throw the ball around a lot.

However, the team will need to be able to run the ball when it has no other choice but to run the ball. I am talking about crazy weather days like Illinois and needing to kill the clock against Wisconsin.

I think KJJ is coming to Lincoln to play at a great school (for education and football reasons) and more importantly because he and his father believe in Mike Riley and trust him and know he will be a good man and coach and will develop his skills well. I am certain they also believe that Nebraska will play winning football and give him bowl and possibly NC opportunities. While I am sure they hope KJJ will be a star player with many opportunities (passes thrown his way), I think they would want to win as well and KJJ knows running the ball is a fundamental and essential element of championship football. Period.

Who said anything about running QB's Guy? I said Andrew Luck was a once in a generation type QB. All you have to do is look at the history of Riley coached teams. When he gets great QB play he puts a decent product on the field. When he doesn't get that type of play it's a dumpster fire. The only way the changes is if he starts fielding top 10 defenses. Something Banker hasn't proven he can do.

• Fire 1

My bad.

I've been one of those people very high on Stanford's style of play in recent years.

I don't have time to corroborate the numbers cm looked up offensively, but as a team, you can't argue with their results over the last four years. They won the Rose Bowl last year, finished 8-5 in 2014, lost to MSU in the Rose Bowl in 2013 and beat Wisconsin the Rose Bowl in 2012.

I know this conversation is about "scheme" and "QB", but what they do works.

add in our latest recruit commit and there is no way we starting running that much more. He doesn't commit here otherwise.

By that logic, had we added a running back today, that would be proof positive we are committed to running the ball.
Do you think KJ decided on NU because Riley is such a nice guy? In part, yes. But don't think for a second he's not been told he'll play a feature role in the pass first system that Riley has employed throughout his career. I highly doubt Riley will recruit a "feature back" at NU.

People should really accept what Riley and Langs are offensively and move on from the arguments over whether he'll change his system.

By that logic, had we added a running back today, that would be proof positive we are committed to running the ball.

not the same logic at all.. think about it, you will understand!

KJJ isn't just another receiver, he was recruited by everyone. He has huge potential as a receiver.

Make no mistake, he didn't come here just because Riley is a great guy!

Had Riley recruited a top RB AND a dual threat QB, then you would have a point, but he recruited a pro-style QB and a top notch receiver.. that dosn't spell running.