Change Scheme or Change QB?

add in our latest recruit commit and there is no way we starting running that much more. He doesn't commit here otherwise.

By that logic, had we added a running back today, that would be proof positive we are committed to running the ball.
Do you think KJ decided on NU because Riley is such a nice guy? In part, yes. But don't think for a second he's not been told he'll play a feature role in the pass first system that Riley has employed throughout his career. I highly doubt Riley will recruit a "feature back" at NU.

People should really accept what Riley and Langs are offensively and move on from the arguments over whether he'll change his system.

Exactly!

• Fire 1

Why is it such a big controversy why he came here?

He obviously thinks we have a program and coaches that will be the best for developing and using his skills.

Which I agree with and am glad for.

Not sure why there is an argument.

Well, read the thread. It really has nothing to do with KJ, it has to do with Riley and why he recruited the players he has.

recruit KJ, recruit Patrick.. those are keys to passing, not running. Riley says they will emphasize running, but recruited players for passing... :dunno

Kind of the opposite of how things are usually done when wanting to run more.

add in our latest recruit commit and there is no way we starting running that much more. He doesn't commit here otherwise.

By that logic, had we added a running back today, that would be proof positive we are committed to running the ball.

not the same logic at all.. think about it, you will understand!

KJJ isn't just another receiver, he was recruited by everyone. He has huge potential as a receiver.

Make no mistake, he didn't come here just because Riley is a great guy!

Had Riley recruited a top RB AND a dual threat QB, then you would have a point, but he recruited a pro-style QB and a top notch receiver.. that dosn't spell running.

He also recruited Terry Wilson last year and had him and POB committed in the same class. So just like KJJ, I don't think a single part represents the whole.

There are current offers out to RBs with greater than or equal rating to KJJ. Had one of said RBs committed yesterday, I could make a similar speculative assertion that because we just landed a top RB, Riley is backing up his claims in the Spring they are working on more run first QB plays and a bigger commitment to the run game.

Guys, just spit-balling here, but isn't it possible that the staff might be - believe it or not - seeking commits from the best possible players at every position? And that the fact we landed KJJ was based on relationships AND Riley's history? But that we are also seeking to sign the best running backs possible, the best offensive linemen possible, and so forth?

If so, and given Riley's statement about the importance of the run game, I'm going to venture a guess that the offense he wants to run will be one that is balanced and efficient in both phases.

Just a guess...

• Fire 3

Why is it such a big controversy why he came here?

He obviously thinks we have a program and coaches that will be the best for developing and using his skills.

Which I agree with and am glad for.

Not sure why there is an argument.

Well, read the thread. It really has nothing to do with KJ, it has to do with Riley and why he recruited the players he has.

recruit KJ, recruit Patrick.. those are keys to passing, not running. Riley says they will emphasize running, but recruited players for passing... :dunno

Kind of the opposite of how things are usually done when wanting to run more.

So because we recruited POB and KJJ we aren't committed to having s good rushing attack.

The logic there is just baffling and comical.

Guys, just spit-balling here, but isn't it possible that the staff might be - believe it or not - seeking commits from the best possible players at every position? And that the fact we landed KJJ was based on relationships AND Riley's history? But that we are also seeking to sign the best running backs possible, the best offensive linemen possible, and so forth?

If so, and given Riley's statement about the importance of the run game, I'm going to venture a guess that the offense he wants to run will be one that is balanced and efficient in both phases.

Just a guess...

Well, that's far too rational, AR.

Joking aside, I agree with what you're saying. I'll admit I don't follow recruiting that closely outside of having a very general awareness. But, let's look at a couple things. First, we don't have a quarterback that was recruited to run the kind of offense Riley wants to run. Enter POB. I have no problem with that.

Second, you can have up to 4-5 wide receivers on the field at any one time, so from a numbers perspective, it makes sense to always be recruiting players to that position. Enter KJJ - a great talent with a lot of potential.

Third, we're stock full of players at the running back position, so we only signed one obvious RB recruit in Tre Bryant. Makes sense to me, too. But, we've offered nine backs scholarships so far for 2017, eight of which are four star recruits.

You can have a powerful rushing attack and great skill position players. NFL teams do it and so do college teams. If anything, I think people should focus their analytical eye on the defense. Success on that side of the ball, imo, is more critical to us reaching our goals.

• Fire 2

I highly doubt Riley will recruit a "feature back" at NU.

People should really accept what Riley and Langs are offensively and move on from the arguments over whether he'll change his system.

Again, Riley recruited four running backs with 3,500+ career yards at OSU. Two went on to NFL careers. One was pretty legendary.

If you're going to insist we not expect Riley to do things differently than he's done before, you need to be consistent.

And maybe he does want to do something different with the pieces Nebraska gives him. It may be why he took the job.

• Fire 1

Again, Riley recruited four running backs with 3,500+ career yards at OSU. Two went on to NFL careers. One was pretty legendary.

If you're going to insist we not expect Riley to do things differently than he's done before, you need to be consistent.

And maybe he does want to do something different with the pieces Nebraska gives him. It may be why he took the job.

Who were those backs? If you're including Steven Jackson (I assume he's the pretty legendary running back), he wasn't recruited by Riley and only played one season under him (notably, his worst year from a ypc perspective, though he did register some 400 receiving yards).

Who are the other three? Rodgers, Bernard and who?

You should really go back and look at the stats; for example, in Rodgers' highest carry season (at 273 attempts), the QB that year threw it 446 times (almost 200 more attempts throwing than carries for your best RB).

Compare that to Derek Henry at Alabama this year. He had 395 carries compared to Coker's 393 pass attempts.

I'm not arguing that a RB in Riley's system can't be productive; simply stating that there's almost no evidence that Riley will ever employ a "run first" system.

Who were those backs? If you're including Steven Jackson (I assume he's the pretty legendary running back), he wasn't recruited by Riley and only played one season under him (notably, his worst year from a ypc perspective, though he did register some 400 receiving yards).

You should really go back and look at the stats; for example, in Rodgers' highest carry season (at 273 attempts), the QB that year threw it 446 times (almost 200 more attempts throwing than carries for your best RB).

Compare that to Derek Henry at Alabama this year. He had 395 carries compared to Coker's 393 pass attempts.

I'm not arguing that a RB in Riley's system can't be productive; simply stating that there's almost no evidence that Riley will ever employ a "run first" system.

The backs were Benard, Jackson (1yr), Rogers and Simonton (2yr). Jackson set an All-Purpose Yards record while being coached by Riley.

No major changes are required. If the offense could be about 3 points better per game and the defense 3 points better per game, there will be a substantial difference in the record. I don't think that is in any way out of the question with only minor tweaks, esp considering last year was the first year in both systems. The average margin of loss was 4.4 points. It isn't a stretch to think that we might see that much improvement just because of increased knowledge of the system.

Simonton was not a 2 year back for Riley. He played 1 year under him (1998).

It's really interesting to watch folks grasp at random examples and ignore the actual obvious stats and trends that stare them in the face.

I honestly don't get it. why are people trying to make Riley into something he's not and never has been?

Actually Ken Simonton is OSU's career rushing leader with 5,000+ yards, which would also have made him the career rushing leader at Nebraska. I didn't include him among OSUs two NFL running backs, but he actually had a better NFL and CFL career than most Husker RBs. The fourth, Bernard, was good enough to make a bit of coin in the NFL, NFL Europe and CFL.

I think this article does a good job of explaining where you are both right and wrong. It's been posted before.

Your question was actually whether Riley would ever recruit a "feature" running back, so you did just shift the argument a tad.

And even within that argument there appears to be evidence that Riley works with what he's given and is willing to admit when things didn't work.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/college/mike-riley-wants-oregon-state-to-run-but-there-are-limitations/