OWH: What Recruiting Says About Husker Offense

I don't agree with Dirk's premise. That is, I don't think Wisconsin says "We're going to run the ball a lot so we're only going to recruit three-star receivers." You always recruit the best WRs you can get. You just have a lot better chance of landing them with a passing offense.

However, I do think he's correct that we want to throw the ball a lot. And we're selling WR and QB recruits on that.

The big question is how effective will that offense be. As you know, I don't think it will be very effective - in fact, detrimental - with TA under center. I'm more hopeful with POB going forward. We'll see.

I agree with this. As for TA being under center, we'll find out. The recruits certainly won't impact the offense under him this season. However, the extent to which Nebraska has reliable RB talent remains to be seen. Will Ozigbo build upon UCLA? How do we replace Jano? Will Newby assert himself as more, will Wilbon or Trey Bryant make a charge, etc.

Tommy's mistake prone, and that has to get fixed, but he can also only run the ball himself so much in a game. And he's in an offense with some of the more dangerous and established receivers in the B1G now.

I'm tired of people blaming Tommy for being mistake prone. Among Riley's first year starters, TA has one of the best td to int and int per attempt ratios.

Did he make mistakes last year? Yes. Were they the same mistakes at the same or a lower frequency that most of Riley's QBs have made them? Yes.

So maybe it's not just a "we need someone less mistake prone" issue.

TA made the same mistakes under the last staff also.

That pretty much toasted that theory lol

I don't agree with Dirk's premise. That is, I don't think Wisconsin says "We're going to run the ball a lot so we're only going to recruit three-star receivers." You always recruit the best WRs you can get. You just have a lot better chance of landing them with a passing offense.

However, I do think he's correct that we want to throw the ball a lot. And we're selling WR and QB recruits on that.

The big question is how effective will that offense be. As you know, I don't think it will be very effective - in fact, detrimental - with TA under center. I'm more hopeful with POB going forward. We'll see.

I agree with this. As for TA being under center, we'll find out. The recruits certainly won't impact the offense under him this season. However, the extent to which Nebraska has reliable RB talent remains to be seen. Will Ozigbo build upon UCLA? How do we replace Jano? Will Newby assert himself as more, will Wilbon or Trey Bryant make a charge, etc.

Tommy's mistake prone, and that has to get fixed, but he can also only run the ball himself so much in a game. And he's in an offense with some of the more dangerous and established receivers in the B1G now.

I'm tired of people blaming Tommy for being mistake prone. Among Riley's first year starters, TA has one of the best td to int and int per attempt ratios.

Did he make mistakes last year? Yes. Were they the same mistakes at the same or a lower frequency that most of Riley's QBs have made them? Yes.

sorry noticed my point was already made.....

At a much declining rate as he matured as a player.

Maybe an easier way to say this is that: all first year starters under Riley have been "mistake proned." Is that because of an inherent flaw in those players (as has been claimed about TA) or because maybe, just maybe, the system or the way it's be taught is causing every single first year player to struggle mightily?

For all his mistakes, TA still put together one of the most productive 1st year starter performances of any QB that's played for Riley.

What conclusions should we draw from that?

At a much declining rate as he matured as a player.

Maybe an easier way to say this is that: all first year starters under Riley have been "mistake proned." Is that because of an inherent flaw in those players (as has been claimed about TA) or because maybe, just maybe, the system or the way it's be taught is causing every single first year player to struggle mightily?

For all his mistakes, TA still put together one of the most productive 1st year starter performances of any QB that's played for Riley.

What conclusions should we draw from that?

none. because all the variables aren't listed. try this one, how many of riley's qb's in their first year of his system had two years starting experience at a bcs/power 5 school? armstrong has been mistake prone in the past but he has also been brilliant. now it is up the the coaching staff to work around his strengths in the system and armstrong to play to the strengths of the system.

In that case, good thing almost all of these recruits won't play much (if any) with TA under center.

With recruits we are getting and trying to get now, we need to be looking at how we think the offense will perform with POB, Gebbia, Coan...etc.

If recruiting keeps going the way it looks like it will, I like the chances of success.

I simply don't see how people can conclude at this point that recruiting under this staff is any better than any of the previous 3 staffs.

But I guess it is spring and hope is, ya know, springing.

You're right that a lot of it is just that it's spring, but at least we seem be winning a lot of battles against other blue bloods, which it seemed (anecdotally) like we weren't doing very frequently under the previous regime.

Also, I posted this in another thread, just for reference. I don't think this really means much with only 2 years of stats for Riley. It will be easier to spot trends after the 2017 class is in

Thanks for the chart. I think that if you extend it to Solich, we'd see that NU's recruiting band is going to around 20-25 with some occasional outliers in both directions.

I think Riley will continue that level of performance, which should be good enough to win a B10 championship

Our division or an outright B1G Championship? Considering the level of recruiting going on at Ohio State and Michigan, I'd say an outright title is a pretty tall task. One of the ways programs with recruiting talent similar to ours wins those is by staff retention. This is only Riley's second year. Until we as a program settle in with a coach, I don't see us winning the conference with 20-25 recruiting classes without an awful lot of luck.

Cm is constantly typing garbage.

I think that if you extend it to Solich, we'd see that NU's recruiting band is going to around 20-25 with some occasional outliers in both directions.

I think Riley will continue that level of performance, which should be good enough to win a B10 championship

No. Solich's recruiting got worse over time he did not end up in this fictitious recruiting band, nor did Bo.

CM is the only Husker fan alive who thinks that Bo-level 25 class rank average recruiting should be good enough to win the BIG.

• Fire 2

So the narrative this year for the RiledUppers, if things go poorly will be #TACantBeCoached

Got it!

Not at all. He was recruited for a different system and fell prey to the same developmental squad that coached T Magic to be a QB. He is making the most of his swan season.

So the narrative this year for the RiledUppers, if things go poorly will be #TACantBeCoached

Got it!

Not at all. He was recruited for a different system and fell prey to the same developmental squad that coached T Magic to be a QB. He is making the most of his swan season.

Can we all agree that if this upcoming season sucks 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 wins...that it is on the staff? Who is with me on this?

Got it!

Can we all agree that if this upcoming season sucks 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 wins...that it is on the staff? Who is with me on this?

Oh another 5-7 record will be highly discouraging. 6-6 and 7-5 would be too. I could live with 8-4. 9-3 is kinda where I am hoping we can start un year 2.

I'm not comfortable putting numbers this early on just because who knows what could happen? But yeah we all should expect a big improvement.

Got it!

Oh another 5-7 record will be highly discouraging. 6-6 and 7-5 would be too. I could live with 8-4. 9-3 is kinda where I am hoping we can start un year 2.

I'm not comfortable putting numbers this early on just because who knows what could happen? But yeah we all should expect a big improvement.

Amen to that!

So, when Turner Gill was brought in to run a very different system than the rest of the QBs on the roster, did that mean they all sucked? No. That meant they were recruited for one system and he came in with a future that was going in a different direction.

Yes, the transition was easier. But, in my mind, that is in large part because we were already all familiar with TO an he was "one of us".

Transitions happen all the time in college football. Unfortunately some players get caught in the middle. TA is doing a fantastic job of trying to bridge that gap. He is one of my favorite Huskers right now because of what he is asked to do compared to what his talent's are best for. That isn't either his nor the coach's fault.

I support both in trying to make this work.