Athletic Department under review

Redux

I thought Peterson was a jack ass and wasn't in favor of firing Frank at that point in time.

However, I've let it go and moved on. Some other people need to do the same thing.

Yup. People seem to think that thinking Franking being fired was correct, while also thinking Steve Pederson sucked at his job are mutually exclusive stances.

I don't get it.

I have no problem with Frank being fired. But the way the hiring of the new coach was handled showed Pederson's ineptitude.

I also had no problem with Callahan being fired. But I think Osborne didn't do enough homework on finding the correct replacement.

I had no problem with Pelini being fired. And I am not at a point to say whether Eichorst made a good decision or not for hiring Riley.

We agree on pretty much everything. Frank more than deserved to be fired, the only ones that can't see that are the ones that think that running FB traps 67 times a game and only recruiting walk-on's from Nebraska is the only way to win at this school because it was the "Nebraska way." Peterson is a screw up as he should have sent out feelers to see who was interested in the job before canning Frank. Where Peterson really screwed up was that he put too much pressure on the next HC (which IMO scared some people away) that he "Wouldn't allow the Big 12 to be controlled by OU and UT" as Tom did for Bo. That is fine, but when you look at the decimated roster that wasn't going to be possible any time soon. Whoever the new coach was inheriting, he would have been wiser to tell the public that it is a rebuild due to bad recruiting and that it isn't a quick fix. Then maybe Callahan wouldn't have taken so many JUCO's to fill the many holes in the team that all seem to graduate after the 2006 season. Either way Bill staying loyal to Cozgrove got him canned more than anything so I didn't have a problem with that either.

As for Tom not doing enough homework, there was no homework to be done, Bo was pretty much hired after the oSu loss in Lincoln that year. He only interviewed Jim Grobe but told him that he had to use Tom's old assistants if he wanted the job. No HC in their right mind is going to work for an AD that is controlling enough to dictate who is going to be on his staff. So that was 75K of the school's money that was wasted just to hire a guy who wasn't qualified for the job in the first place.

Bo deserved to be fired two years before he was canned. He had every chance to succeed here and then some and still blew it. As for Riley he looks to be putting together a great recruiting class and coaching gets a lot easier with better talent. If nothing else as it has been stated on here before, he may be the "guy before the guy" who takes the football program where we all want it to be. But he is fixing a lot of what Bo screwed up as far as relationships with high school coaches and is opening up more avenues to get better talent in the program. I am really excited about 2017 when he has his first team with his QB and to where most of the players will be his. I expect great things from him as this staff is putting a lot of effort into area's where it needs to be put to fix the program. It's been broken since Tom left so it isn't an easy fix at all.

I think Perlman and Osborne can share a lot of the blame for what is ailing Husker sports right now. Especially in men's sports.

Osborne? But, not SPEM? Or, Ickyhorst?

Wow! So much appreciation for Osborne, who got the task of cleaning up Prickman's original mess, Yet got cut out of the process which could have prevented Prickman from making yet another sorry decision.

The nicknames are as obnoxious as hell. Cut it out.

Finally, someone who agrees. The nicknames are ridiculous, and I can't imagine half the people who use them on this board would casually use them in face-to-face conversation, which makes them even more ridiculous.

• Fire 1

I think Perlman and Osborne can share a lot of the blame for what is ailing Husker sports right now. Especially in men's sports.

Wow! So much appreciation for Osborne, who got the task of cleaning up Prickman's original mess, Yet got cut out of the process which could have prevented Prickman from making yet another sorry decision.

You might want to check your dictionary. SPEM is an acronym. As for what I use to refer to the current Chancellor and his AD, it is the best I can come up with for those who deserve absolutely no respect for the way they have allowed the NU football program to gravitate into mediocrity.

Perlman has done a lot of good things for this university - in particular, he was one of the most prominent and influential figures guiding Nebraska to the Big Ten, which has been a very positive move for the university. There has also been a 12 percent enrollment increase during his tenure and the university's academic identity is really at it's strongest point. He's also helped oversee significant athletic improvements like the basketball team's move to the PBA and the multi-million dollar expansions/renovations to Memorial Stadium and the Devaney Center.

So, yes, he's taken a lot of deserved criticism for the fact that the two most prominent sports - football and basketball - have not won anything of significance due in large part to his decision-making. However, the people who use the stupid nickname look little else but ignorant to the other things he's done.

• Fire 3

Finally, someone who agrees. The nicknames are ridiculous, and I can't imagine half the people who use them on this board would casually use them in face-to-face conversation, which makes them even more ridiculous.

"Frank should have been fired and the only ones who can't see that..."

Include guys like Tom Osborne and Urban Meyer...

1. TO is king and everything he has said or did is without question the only way to be successful here and any deviation from that is doomed to failure.

• Fire 1

We live in a tops turvy world when people start thinking they know more about football than Osborne. I reckon these same people argue techniques with their brain surgeons too.

That said, me pointing out two (of many) examples of knowledgable people who thought it was a bad call isn't saying those two are infallible as much as just refuting a silly suggestion that it was a no brainer to fire Frank after he revamped his staff and went 9-3.

We haven't had a top to bottom group of assistants as good as the '03 staff since then.

• Fire 1

We live in a tops turvy world when people start thinking they know more about football than Osborne. I reckon these same people argue techniques with their brain surgeons too.

That said, me pointing out two (of many) examples of knowledgable people who thought it was a bad call isn't saying those two are infallible as much as just refuting a silly suggestion that it was a no brainer to fire Frank after he revamped his staff and went 9-3.

We haven't had a top to bottom group of assistants as good as the '03 staff since then.

For the millionth time...Frank was fired for off field issues. Why can't you understand that?

• Fire 2

For the millionth time...Frank was fired for off field issues. Why can't you understand that?

Because it's not the truth. None of the facts from that year support that notion.

• Fire 1

Because it's not the truth. None of the facts from that year support that notion.

Okay, we get it. April Fools. You can stop acting like this.

• Fire 1

I could be wrong, but no one from the 2003 staff currently has a job at a Power 5 conference school.

Even if that standard were relevant, how many of Callahan's staff are currently at P5 schools? Norvell has bounced around but I think the rest are out of football. I think I recall Gilmore or Jordan landed at an NFL team. But they are all offset by guys like Elmo and Coz (though I feel bad for Coz and thought his HC gave him no cover with that offense).

• Fire 1

I could be wrong, but no one from the 2003 staff currently has a job at a Power 5 conference school.

Even if that standard were relevant, how many of Callahan's staff are currently at P5 schools? Norvell has bounced around but I think the rest are out of football. I think I recall Gilmore or Jordan landed at an NFL team. But they are all offset by guys like Elmo and Coz (though I feel bad for Coz and thought his HC gave him no cover with that offense).

Off of Callahan's final 07 staff, Watson, Gilmore, Rudolph, and Busch are currently at P5 schools. Jordan is in the NFL.